Dinosaur Ghosts: Mystery of the Coelophysis…

Dinosaur Ghosts: Mystery of the Coelophysis

by J. Lynett Gillette

6811261,684 (4)None

Dinosaur Ghosts is a great mentor text for children learning about the scientific method. The way the author is part Sherlock Holmes and part scientist keeps children turning the page, along with the excavation photographs and beautiful illustrations by Douglas Henderson. As the reader tries to discover what happened to the Coelophysis, they learn the process of elimination and the definition of perseverance. There are a great index and much-needed pronunciation guide at the end of the book. ( )
  JSkoros | Apr 29, 2019 |
Read in class.
  owaguespack | Sep 26, 2018 |
I need to come clean; I love dinosaurs. As a kid, my dinosaur phase lasted two years. Now that my bias is out in the open I can admit that I really enjoyed this book. The photographs and illustrations are engaging without overwhelming the text, which seeks to answer a big question: why did hundreds of Coelophysis die at Ghost Ranch? The author provides some background information on the dinosaur, the scientists, and the method of testing a hypothesis.

I appreciate that the author does not condescend to her audience. The tone is informative and avoids unnecessary jargon. The vocabulary is advanced without being inaccessible. My inner third grader loved the morbid references to cannibalism and the imagined death scenes for each hypothesis.

Most importantly, I think the author demonstrates how a good scientist is open to many theories. The book ends with a concession and a challenge. It is possible the current theory is not right. If a scientist with the "patience to study" these dinosaurs comes along, then they are "ready to change their ideas." ( )
  ewalker1 | Jan 18, 2016 |
This book was all about different hypothesis of how the coelophysis were all buried. I like how the book really explained why things couldn't be right. This book was also my inspiration to make my dinosaur children's book. ( )
  glguerra | Nov 30, 2015 |
This story is about the small coelophysis dinosaurs who died a long time ago. We want to figure out what happened to them. Scientist come together to figure out this mystery. Scientist dig up small bones and realize how small these dinosaurs were. This book gives so much information on the dinosaurs. I thought this story was exciting and would be great for a science class. I've never heard of a coelophysis dinosaur so it was fun reading about it. ( )
  TaylorRankins | Nov 20, 2014 |

Describes what is known and hypothesized about the physical appearance and behavior of the small carnivorous dinosaur called Coelophysis.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,568,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible