Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Planting the Trees of Kenya: The Story of…

Planting the Trees of Kenya: The Story of Wangari Maathai (2008)

by Claire A. Nivola

In the beginning of reading this book I wasn't too sure about all the new details. It told a different story, one where she asked and confronted the women in her village if they would help to start planting trees. However in the first book I read about Wangri, she seemed to not need an answer she figured out what was wrong and went for it. This book also didn't go into much details about the struggles of planting trees that she faced with the government. Some details I was a little confused by like for instance, what took place of the trees, In the first book I read it was more of buildings taking the place. However, in this book it was more of crops created to sell. I must say that this book went into much more detail about Wangari's life, but I wasn't sure what information was correct. ( )
  RavenM12 | Feb 26, 2019 |
Nivola writes about how, Wangari Maathai, a young girl from Kenya turns her city back into a beautiful fertile place with green fig trees that flourish throughout all of the hills of central Kenya. When Maathai was young she used to go to this one giant fig tree to collect wood for the fire. After she was awarded a scholarship to study biology in America, she returned to find no fig tree, no greens, and no nature. She was astounded and gathered the community with a solution. The woman of Kenya gathered around and dug wholes to get water to plant trees all around the city. Eventually, the city was brought back to the beautiful green scenery it was had all because of Maathai and the community of women. One thing that stood out to me in this book was how the women were looked down upon. The men were harping on the women saying that planting is not work for women. However, the women did not let this stop them and were able to bring the fig trees back to life in Kenya. ( )
  cbattistella19 | Jan 24, 2018 |
This biography is about Wangari Maathai, an inspirational woman who helped to plant millions of trees in Kenya to help the land. This biography is how she grew up and how she came to helping others and teaching them how to plant trees as well so everyone can participate in helping to plant trees. ( )
  S.Hackett | Nov 6, 2017 |
Reading Log #6
In my opinion, I liked the book Planting the Trees of Kenya. The two reasons I liked the book was the illustrations, and the book pushes the readers about different lifestyles. Planting the Trees of Kenya focuses on a young girl who returns to her community in Kenya only to find that everything was ruined. The illustrations and the message that is pushed for readers to think about makes readers feel like they are there with her in Kenya.
My first reason for liking the book is the illustrations. Each illustration on the page portrayed an exact representation of the words on those pages. When the words on the page and the pictures match exactly, it helps readers picture what is happening in Wangari’s life. As the story progresses and Wangari starts building her community back together, the illustrations show how happy everyone is feeling once the trees start getting planted. One major detailed that stood out to me was at the end of the book Wangari created this movement to plant all the trees of Kenya. The illustrations for the movement showed a lineup of everyone in the community holding materials to plant the trees which portray how a movement looks for Wangari and her community.
The story focuses on Wangari’s tree movement to fix her community. My second reason for liking the book was it pushes the readers to think about a different lifestyle. The reader must be pushed to understand the feelings of how Wangari feels returning to her home only to find the environment destroyed. The story also pushes the readers to think about the people in the community and how they had lived before Wangari arrived. The book talked about digging deep holes just to find water. It talked about how the people in the community looked sick, and their happiness looked drained out of them. The reader must push to think about when reading how life would be if that were their own life. Once Wangari returns it shows readers that anything is possible if you push through.
The big idea of the story is to push through any obstacles the appear. This message is important because there are many obstacles presented in life today. After reading Planting the Trees of Kenya shows that if Wangari’s community can get through their obstacles, then getting through our own should be possible. ( )
  cleama1 | Oct 12, 2017 |
“Planting the Trees of Kenya”

“Planting the Trees of Kenya” is about Wangari and her journey to restore her homeland, Kenya. In the beginning of the story, Wangari describes Kenya as a beautiful where everyone is able to live off of the land. Then Wangari goes to school abroad and while she is away, the land is corrupted because many of the trees have been cut down, which then ruins the rest of the land. Wangari then uses whatshe learned at school to work with the people of Kenya to plant more trees to restore the land. There are two reasons I liked this book. I liked Wangari’s character. I liked how she used what she learned abroad to improve the conditions of her homeland. I also liked how determined Wangari was. When they first tried to plant the trees, they had trouble being successful, and some people thought that planting trees was a waste of time. Planting trees is also hard work. I could tell how much Kenya meant to Wangari because of her determination.
I also liked how the book pushes readers to think about climate change and what they can do to reverse the damaging effects altering the environment to fit our needs. It also shed light on how important education is because if Wangari had not gone to school, she wouldn’t have known how to fix their land. It also pushes readers to think about what they can do to stop/reverse climate change, or any issue. Wangari was one person that used her knowledge to inform a community of people of a problem and how to fix it. They then found a problem and solution to the problem, which shows readers that they can also change their communities as well.
The big idea of this story is that we must use what we learn to make the world a better place. ( )
  jbush2 | Oct 3, 2017 |
As Wangari Maathai tells it, when she was growing up on a farm in the hills of central Kenya, the earth was clothed in its dress of green.
She had been away for five years, only five years, but it might have been twenty-so changed was the landscape of Kenya.

This is a book that is a biography about Wangari Maathai. The story is told through her life accomplishments. Wangari grew up in Kenya, where trees cloaked the hills, fish filled the streams, and the people tended their gardens. She noticed that she came back from college, everything was different. It was her job to restore everything back to their normal ways. The author does a great job telling the remarkable story of one’s woman’s effort to change the fate of her land by teaching many to care for it.

Wangari Maathai, winner of the 2004 Nobel Peace Prize and founder of the Green Belt Movement, grew up in the highlands of Kenya, where fig trees cloaked the hills, fish filled the streams, and the people tended their bountiful gardens. But over many years, as more and more land was cleared, Kenya was transformed. When Wangari returned home from college in America, she found the village gardens dry, the people malnourished, and the trees gone. How could she alone bring back the trees and restore the gardens and the people?

Bill McKibben, author of The End of Nature, says: “Wangari Maathai’s epic story has never been told better—everyone who reads this book will want to plant a tree!”

With glowing watercolor illustrations and lyrical prose, Claire Nivola tells the remarkable story of one woman’s effort to change the fate of her land by teaching many to care for it. An author’s note provides further information about Wangari Maathai and the Green Belt Movement. In keeping with the theme of the story, the book is printed on recycled paper.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:20 -0400)

"This is the story of Wangari Maathai, winner of the 2004 Nobel Peace Prize and founder of the Green Belt Movement, Wangari came home from college to find the streams dry, the people malnourished, and the trees gone. How could she alone bring back the trees and restore the gardens and the people?"--Dust jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,477,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible