Owney, the Mail-Pouch Pooch by Mona Kerby

Owney, the Mail-Pouch Pooch

by Mona Kerby

This book tells the story of a small pup who makes friends and travels the world by postal service. When he returns home, to Albany, he has a name tag for every place that he had been. He was growing old and was awarded for all of his travels. I enjoyed reading this book, as I had also read, "A Small Dog's Big Life: Around the World With Owney". I am very happy that I read both because I was able to see how text can change a book. In this one, there was a different format, though both very engaging and colorful. I liked that both books told the story of Owney's travels and linked the two together. I would definitely read this book in my classroom because it can teach children about traveling the world, cultures, awards, and animals. It can show that being happy is doing what you love; for Owney, that was traveling with he postal service around the world. ( )
  Gabrielle21 | Aug 28, 2018 |
I adored this book! I may be biased because of my love for dogs, but it was so interesting! I greatly enjoyed learning about the pooch named Owney who showed up one day to his local post office. He began to protect and guard the post men and their mail, and was basically given a job there. He started traveling with the mail as it went by train. He even eventually went overseas. He collected tags, coupons, and trinkets everywhere he went. His story is adorable, and I wish I could have met this smart pup! ( )
  syd_neylol | Feb 17, 2018 |
I found this story to be particularly interesting because most dogs hate mail carriers but Owney loved them so much he chose to spend his life surrounded by them. One thing I got a kick out of was that Owney was kidnapped by Canadian dogcathers and effectively held for ransom. The Albany employees paid the two dollars and fifty cents to get him back which wasn't cheap during this time period. The illustrations were very cute and I loved the pictures of Owney with his many tags around his neck like badges of honor. At the end of the book there is an actual picture of Owney on a train protecting the mail. I was surprised to find out that, "He was so famous that most of the major newspapers in the 1890s reported on his travels." ( )
  AubrieSmith | Feb 15, 2017 |
A dog named Owney wanders into a Post Office and falls asleep on top of a mail carrying bag. This begins the story of Owney the mail pooch and his life that was dedicated to the U.S Post Service. The dog warms the hearts of people from all over the country and then, all over the world. This story seemed to show how connected we can be to each other. The author puts together the events in a way that is easy to grasp. This dog had many adventures but the author makes sure to give their readers the most important parts. We get attached to this character when the author mentions the personality Owney has. ( )
  imasson | Sep 7, 2016 |
Owney loves the way the sacks of mail and the postmen's uniform smells. He loves to jump on the sacks of mail and just fall asleep. Owney also loves to travel the world. See, Owney isn't just any kind of dog, he is a one of a kind postal dog who guards the mail on trains to make sure it arrives safely. ( )
  mfink1 | Nov 15, 2012 |

One rainy night in 1888, a stray dog wandered into the U.S. Post Office in Albany, New York. Workers found him the next morning asleep on a pile of mail pouches. The dog seemed to like the post office and the smell of the mailbags and the men’s wool uniforms. When no one came to claim him, they named him Owney and made him their pet. However, Owney’s loyalty and sense of adventure soon made it clear he wasn’t just an average mutt. Over the course of nine years, Owney guarded the mail—not only in Albany but on mail trains that traveled all over the United States.

Accompanied by lively pen-and-watercolor illustrations, this is a delightful true story of a special dog whose faithful service earned him a trip around the world. Owney can be seen in the Smithsonian’s National Postal Museum.

Owney, the Mail-Pouch Pooch is a 2009 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:26 -0400)

In 1888, Owney, a stray terrier puppy, finds a home in the Albany, New York, post office and becomes its official mascot as he rides the mail train through the Adirondacks and beyond, criss-crossing the United States, into Canada and Mexico, and eventually traveling aroud the world by mail boat in 132 days.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,598,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible