Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Streams of Babel by Carol Plum-Ucci

Streams of Babel (2008)

by Carol Plum-Ucci

Great book! ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
Don't drink the water. A statement that makes you wonder doesn't it? Well in Carol Plum-Ucci's novel, Streams Of Babel, you'd be wise to follow that statement in this book. After reading this, it will be somewhat scary to drink from your tap water again.

I would say the best audience for this type of book would probably be young adult to adult because it is somewhat graphic and swear words are used on multiple occasions. However, I think that the graphics and swearing would be the only bad thing about this book. The best thing about this book, I believe, is the amazingly creative plot that keeps changing every chapter as new information is formed. I enjoyed that a lot because it kept me guessing for quite some time, whenever I thought I knew the right answer, I usually ended up being wrong due to some unforeseen event.

The plot of this novel is filled with shocking realizations and suspenseful curiosity that keeps the reader's attention until the very last page. Bioterrorists have poisoned the water supply with Red Vinegar in sections of Colony One. The question is, who are these bioterrorists and what are their motives for slowly killing innocent people? And what in God's name is Red Vinegar and where and what is Colony One? I suggest reading this book if you'd like to know. ( )
  ahsreads | Feb 18, 2011 |
A truly excellent novel about some teens who get sick via a terrorist attack on their water. It's the story of four teens in a small suburb and two computer nerds, one from Pakistan, who do everything they can to save those four other teens. I absolutely loved this book and highly recommend it. ( )
  callmecayce | Oct 11, 2010 |
Realistic, engaging, characters are full of win. Bioterrorists- a very unexplored plot. Tyler ahd Shahzad are meant for each other. One of the best books I've read this year! AHS/JD
  edspicer | Jan 29, 2010 |
As an adult reading this teen fiction/mystery I began to wonder how teenagers think of the world they are living in. This book is set a few months after the 9/11 attacks and now it is nearly a decade since the attacks. How do the teenagers today feel about what happened when they were in early elementary school - if they were not even younger than that. For me, the book follows the thought processes of young people very well. Teenagers from different backgrounds and parts of the world are shown looking at the terrorist situation differently. "Sheltered" American teens who have no clue to the possible extents of (bio)terrorism; medically educated youth who understand but helpless in the face of the possibilities; teens who are very aware - but from behind a computer screen - "see" what is happening through a monitor but never had to face the terror in reality.
This book explores a bio-terror attack in the United States. Of course it is in an idyllic town filled with nice people, and it is a group of teenagers who are most effected. Two teens, one Pakistani and another with a mother who is a spy for North Korea, are brilliant hackers who find out the details of who is behind everything; and they track the bad guys down. Throughout, the adults, either relatives or international operatives with relationships to the teens, are "caretakers" who do not fully understand the depths of emotions the teens have as they live through the terror.
The premise is very realistic and possible. The characters are well written and as a high-school teacher I can say I "know" each of them, even the two non-native-American teens - the hacker geeks. I like this book and highly recommend it to any adult who enjoys teen fiction or to any teen who is looking for a modern mystery to read. ( )
  PallanDavid | Dec 31, 2009 |
"We have slain a large dragon. But we live now in a jungle filled with a bewildering variety of poisonous snakes. And in many ways, the dragon was easier to keep track of."
Former CIA Director James Woolsey,
on acts of terrorism
To Rick and Abbey--
thanks for putting up with me.
I sat very still, waiting for the police and ambulance to arrive.

In a New Jersey suburb, two women die of brain aneurysms within twenty-four hours--events that cause the government to suspect that a terrorist cell has unleashed a deadly biochemical agent. With each glass of water they drink, the people of Trinity Falls are poisoning themselves.

A world away in Pakistan, a sixteen-year-old computer genius working as a virtual spy for the United States sees an influx of chatter from extremists about a substance they call Red Vinegar that will lead to many deaths in Colony One. Can he warn the victims before it's too late?

A Printz Honor Award winner and two-time Edgar Allan Poe Award finalist, Carol Plum-Ucci explores disturbing new terrain in this riveting novel that examines the heroes and victims involved in a terrifying act of bioterrorism.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:42 -0400)

Six teens face a bioterrorist attack on American soil as four are infected with a mysterious disease affecting their small New Jersey neighborhood and two others, both brilliant computer hackers, assist the United States Intelligence Coalition in tracking the perpetrators.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,474,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible