The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

The Other Boleyn Girl (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Philippa Gregory

Member:Milda-TX
Title:The Other Boleyn Girl
Authors:Philippa Gregory
Info:Touchstone (2003), Edition: 1st Scribner Paperback Fiction Ed, Paperback, 672 pages
Collections:To read

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory (2001)

Innocent Traitor: A Novel of Lady Jane Grey by Alison Weir (shamicnic, al.vick)
    shamicnic: This historical fiction book preceeds "Innocent Traitor" by telling the story of Anne Boleyn from the intriguing point of view of her sister, Mary Boleyn.
    Mary Boleyn: The Mistress of Kings by Alison Weir (meggyweg)
    The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers by Margaret George (citygirl)
    citygirl: Way better.
    Duchess: A Novel of Sarah Churchill by Susan Holloway Scott (cataylor)
    The Twentieth Wife by Indu Sundaresan (legxleg)
    legxleg: Although The Twentieth Wife is set in Mughal India, not Tudor England, I think Sundaresan and Gregory write similar romance-infused history about a royal court populated by ambitious courtiers, including some scheming women.
    Mary Boleyn: The True Story of Henry VIII's Mistress by Josephine Wilkinson (meggyweg)
    The Borgia Bride by Jeanne Kalogridis (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: The Borgia Bride takes a look at another controversial historical figure - Lucrezia Borgia through the eyes of her sister-in-law. There is plenty of scandal, drama, and ambition.
    The Rise and Fall of Anne Boleyn: Family Politics at the Court of Henry VIII by Retha M. Warnicke (meggyweg)
    The Concubine by Norah Lofts (carport)
    carport: I enjoyed this characterization of Anne Boleyn very much. Written in the 1950s, the book contains some inaccuracies, but is an excellent portrait of Henry VIII's notorious wife.
    Portrait of an Unknown Woman by Vanora Bennett (PatMock)

English (326)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (334)
I learned much historically from the book but it was a bit too graphic for my tastes! I broke my rule about movie-watching - "always read the book first" - so I felt I had to read it after I watched the movie at Homewood. I liked the movie better, frankly, and that's rarely true for me. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
  olegalCA | Dec 9, 2014 |
page turning ( )
  jayney576 | Nov 7, 2014 |
For being about such a complicated and intricate time and place, this book felt thin and restricted in terms of characters, plot development, and world. I realize the intention was to provide an intimate perspective, but it didn't work for me. ( )
  behemothing | Oct 25, 2014 |
This was a really enjoyable book. At times, all the maneuverings and machinations of the Boleyn/Howard clan became tedious and seemed as if Gregory were using it as forced drama in an already dramatic story, but it wasn't throughout the entire book and didn't take away from the story overmuch. What I really liked was that even though this is a work of fiction, Gregory pulled in A LOT of historical fact into the story which makes you believe that the entire story actually happened. ( )
  trishaj | Oct 7, 2014 |

Philippa Gregoryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lyons, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anthony
Spring 1521

I could hear a roll of muffled drums.

When Mary Boleyn comes to court as an innocent girl of fourteen, she catches the eye of Henry VIII. Dazzled by the king, Mary falls in love with both her golden prince and her growing role as unofficial queen. However, she soon realizes just how much she is a pawn in her family's ambitious plots as the king's interest begins to wane and she is forced to step aside for her best friend and rival: her sister, Anne. Then Mary knows that she must defy her family and her king, and take her fate into her own hands--Back cover.
The King wants a son.
He'd better get one or else
Heads are gonna roll.

(Carnophile)
This book teaches us
Sisters really aren't always
Best Friends Forever.

(Carnophile)

Two sisters competing for the greatest prize: the love of a king

When Mary Boleyn comes to court as an innocent girl of fourteen, she catches the eye of Henry VIII. Dazzled by the king, Mary falls in love with both her golden prince and her growing role as unofficial queen. However, she soon realizes just how much she is a pawn in her familys ambitious plots as the kings interest begins to wane and she is forced to step aside for her best friend and rival: her sister, Anne. Then Mary knows that she must defy her family and her king, and take her fate into her own hands.

A rich and compelling tale of love, sex, ambition, and intrigue, The Other Boleyn Girl introduces a woman of extraordinary determination and desire who lived at the heart of the most exciting and glamorous court in Europe and survived by following her own heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:43 -0400)

The daughters of a ruthlessly ambitious family, Mary and Anne Boleyn are sent to the court of Henry VIII to attract the attention of the king, who first takes Mary as his mistress, in which role she bears him an illegitimate son, and then Anne as his wife.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,399,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible