The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb

The Hour I First Believed (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Wally Lamb

Member:tela1226
Title:The Hour I First Believed
Authors:Wally Lamb
Info:Harper Perennial (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 768 pages

The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb (2008)

English (156)  German (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (159)
I'm so torn about this book. I loved that Wally Lamb addressed some tough issues like the Columbine tragedy, alcoholism, incarceration, etc...but, at times, I was completely bored and wondering 'where is this going?' I honestly could have done without the flashbacks to the 1800's. I'm a historical fiction lover, but these vignettes served no purpose to the story line as far as I'm concerned. If I'm going to rate this book on everything but the flashbacks, I'd say it was an average read. I'm glad I stuck it out, but even happier to move onto something else now.... ( )
  loveleelisa | Jan 5, 2019 |
Slightly long-winded, which I've come to expect from Wally Lamb.... yet there's not a bit that could be left out! Lamb does not disappoint! Great story!!! ( )
  trayceetee | Dec 23, 2018 |
This was really well done. It was difficult to put down, 700 pages or not. I appreciated the use of factual information dispersed throughout a fictional novel. I also really enjoyed Lamb's reference to I Know This Much is True. It was well blended into the context of this story, and it was one of those that if you hadn't read the other book you wouldn't pick it up, but for those of us that did it was nice to see. The ending was somewhat to0 clean cut for me, but given all of the interspersed story arcs I see why it was ended the way it did. ( )
  Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |
I loved this book! Lamb did a wonderful job of making Columbine victims real people with real family left behind. There is a lot going on in this book, but well worth taking the time to read it. ( )
  PamV | Mar 27, 2018 |
Get this author an editor! This was one long boring ride with one long boring book. This one simply had too many rabbit trails that, while connected, didn't really enhance the novel in any way. Most of it should have been chopped out and the novel should have concentrated on the parts that were relevant to Columbine and what happened to the many kinds of victims of that tragedy. The last 5 CD's were the most interesting of the entire novel.

I have had the recorded version of this novel for a long time and I had been putting this one off because it was such a time commitment and to long and for my commutes and driving around town. It seemed like it would be a good book for the long trip driving back and forth to Kansas. Since I had just read the non-fiction book about Columbine, and this was a novel about Columbine, my interest was piqued and so this year it went with me on my long Christmas trek. It was 20 CD's in length and 25 hours of listening. Most all of it was totally boring. For being a best-seller this one was a clunker.

The sound recording was narrated by George Guidall and he did a superb job with this narration. I can understand why people like him. It is unfortunate that his latest Longmire narrations are not of the same quality as this one. A good narrator wasted on a bloated novel. ( )
  benitastrnad | Jan 3, 2018 |
And so, they moved over the dark waves, and even before they disembarked, new hordes gathered there. — Dante's Inferno, canto 3, lines 118-120
For Anna —

A series of debilitating strokes and the onset of dementia necessitated the agonizing conversation I had with my mother in the winter of 1997. When I told her she'd be moving to a nearby nursing home, she shook her head and, atypically, began to cry. Tears were a rarity for my stoic Sicilian-American mother. The next day, she offered me a deal. "Okay, I'll go," she said. "But my refrigerator comes with me." I couldn't meet her demand, but I understood it.

Ma's refrigerator defined her. The freezer was stockpiled with half-gallons of ice cream for the grandkids, and I do mean stockpiled; you opened that freezer compartment at your peril, hoping those dozen or so rock-hard bricks, precariously stacked, wouldn't tumble forth and give you a concussion. The bottom half of Ma's "icebox" was a gleaming tribute to aluminum--enough foil-wrapped Italian food to feed, should we all show up unexpectedly at once, her own family and the extended families of her ten siblings. But it was the outside of Ma's fridge that best spoke of who she was. The front and sides were papered with greeting cards, holy pictures, and photos, old and new, curling and faded, of all the people she knew and loved. Children were disproportionately represented in her refrigerator photo gallery. She adored kids—her own and everyone else's. My mother was a woman of strong faith, quiet resolve, and easy and frequent laughter.

This story's been a hard one to write, Ma, and it got harder after you left us. But I had the title from the very beginning, and when I reached the end, I realized I'd written it for you.

(P.S. Sorry about all those four-letter words, Ma. That's the characters speaking. Not me.)
They were both working their final shift at Blackjack Pizza that night, although nobody but the two of them realized it was that.

The Hour I First Believed travels well beyond his earlier work and embodies in his fiction myth, psychology, family history stretching back many generations, and the questions of faith that lie at the heart of everyday life. The result is an extraordinary tour de force, at once a meditation on the human condition and an unflinching yet compassionate evocation of character. When forty-seven-year-old high school teacher Caelum Quirk and his younger wife, Maureen, a school nurse, move to Littleton, Colorado, they both get jobs at Columbine High School. In April 1999, Caelum returns home to Three Rivers, Connecticut, to be with his aunt who has just had a stroke. But Maureen finds herself in the school library at Columbine, cowering in a cabinet and expecting to be killed as two vengeful students go on a carefully premeditated, murderous rampage. Miraculously she survives, but at a cost: she is unable to recover from the trauma. Caelum and Maureen flee Colorado and return to an illusion of safety at the Quirk family farm in Three Rivers. But the effects of chaos are not so easily put right, and further tragedy ensues. While Maureen fights to regain her sanity, Caelum discovers a cache of old diaries, letters, and newpaper clippings in an upstairs bedroom of his family's house. The colorul and intriguing story they recount spans five generations of Quirk family ancestors, from the Civil War era to Caelum's own troubled childhood. Piece by piece, Caelum reconstructs the lives of the women and men whose legacy he bears. Unimaginable secrets emerge; long-buried fear, anger, guilt, and grief rise to the surface. (978-0-06-039349-6)

Caelum Quirk and his wife Maureen move to Colorado and find jobs at Columbine High School. One day in April 1999, when Caelum is called away by a family emergency, Maureen cowers in a cupboard in the school library, hiding from two students on a murderous rampage. Though miraculously she survives, Maureen cannot recover from the trauma. Seeking solace, the couple returns to Connecticut to an illusion of safety on the Quirk family farm. As Maureen fights to regain her sanity, Caelum discovers a cache of forgotten memorabilia spanning five generations of his family. As he painstakingly reconstructs the lives of his ancestors, he must confront their secrets and fashion a future from the ashes of his own tragedy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,280,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible