Duchess of Malfi (Crofts Classics) by John…

Duchess of Malfi (Crofts Classics) (edition 1953)

by John Webster

Member:donutage
Title:Duchess of Malfi (Crofts Classics)
Authors:John Webster
Info:Harlan Davidson (1953), Paperback
Collections:Moorestown
Rating:***
Tags:17c, british, drama, tragedy, revenge play, jacobean

The Duchess of Malfi by John Webster

I'm torn over what I think about this play. On the one hand, there are some wonderful characterizations and character development in the play. Bosolo, the Steward of the household of the Duchess, has some wonderfully funny and poetic lines. In fact, he has some of the best lines in the play and is perhaps is one of the best written characters of the play.

One the other hand, the plot of the play is threadbare in places and has huge gaps in it in other places, which detracts from the character development, the plays on language/words, and the dialogue. ( )
  slpwhitehead | Jan 17, 2016 |

slpwhitehead | Jan 16, 2016 |
  kutheatre | Jun 7, 2015 |
The play itself deserves a higher rating but this free Kindle edition from Amazon was annoying in its formatting so I downgraded the rating.

I have been curious about this play ever since I first read Agatha Christie's [book:Sleeping Murder|806711] as a teenager. I knew very little about it other than what I gleaned from that reference... It is a tragedy very much in the style of Shakespeare's great tragedies, which is not surprising since Webster & Shakespeare were contemporaries, but without the 'comic relief' (a relief to me as I generally hate that part of Shakespeare!).

I do have some questions about some of the motivations in the play especially one crucial point -- why do Ferdinand and his brother the Cardinal want to prevent their sister from marrying again (she is a young widow)?? It can't really be for inheritance because she has a son from her first marriage (though he never appears). Everything that happens stems from this one point.

I also watched the 1972 performance on YouTube -- as is generally true, plays are better when seen than when read. ( )
  leslie.98 | Mar 16, 2015 |
Women shucking the trappings of social organization, and dukes who might be werewolves? Yes, yes please. ( )
1 vote librarycatnip | Jan 12, 2015 |

LaMar, Virginia A.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malin, PeterEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, JackieEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wright, Louis B.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hora. -- Si quid -- Candidus Imperti fi non his vtere mecum.
[Webster's Dedication begins:] To the right honourable George Harding, Baron Berkeley of Berkeley Castle and Knight of the Order of the Bath to the illustrious Prince Charles,
My Noble Lord,
That I may present my excuse why, being a stranger to your Lordship, I offer this poem to your patronage, I plead this warrant....
Delio:  You are welcome to your country, dear Antonio, You have been long in France, and you return A very formal Frenchman, in your habit.

The evils of greed and ambition overwhelm love, innocence, and the bonds of kinship in this dark tragedy concerning the secret marriage of a noblewoman and a commoner. John Webster's great Jacobean drama detailing the fiendish schemes of two brothers who desire their wealthy sister's title and estates ends with a bloody and horrifying climax.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:14 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,514,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible