The Plot Against America by Philip Roth

The Plot Against America (2004)

by Philip Roth

1001 (51) 1001 books (41) 20th century (34) 21st century (39) alternate history (352) America (76) American (104) American fiction (41) American literature (123) antisemitism (121) Charles Lindbergh (48) fascism (38) fiction (912) historical fiction (131) history (53) Jewish (95) Jews (77) Judaism (36) Lindbergh (65) literature (83) Nazis (41) New Jersey (47) novel (173) politics (57) read (72) Roman (32) to-read (89) unread (63) USA (83) WWII (244)
    The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (ljbwell)
    ljbwell: Alternate history based in the US where WWII has had a different outcome.
    Fatherland by Robert Harris (bertilak)
    It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis (TLCrawford, sturlington)
    TLCrawford: Similar plot written by a winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature at a time when it could, in fact, have happened here. Lewis' wife, journalist Dorthy Thompson was stationed in Berlin during Hitler's early years.
    Farthing by Jo Walton (wisemetis)
    The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (ateolf)
    Maus I: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (bertilak)
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (TeeKay)
    The Book of Daniel by E. L. Doctorow (whirled)
    American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War On America by Chris Hedges (bertilak)

English (117)  French (5)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (133)
This is an alternate history novel set in the US in the 40s. In it Lindbergh has won the 1940 presidential election and has sided with Hitler. The book describes the effects of this on a Jewish family in Newark. It is told through the eyes of a young Philip Roth (I guess it's kind of autobiographical in places) and this childs view of events works really well to make slightly off kilter events seem reasonable. It ends a bit weirdly and abruptly. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Feb 28, 2014 |
I loved this until Roth lost the vision of the novel about 80% of the way through. Too bad. ( )
  Winspear | Dec 27, 2013 |
Yikes, what happened in the last 50 pages? It was enjoyable enough and then Roth just seemed to pack it in and rush. ( )
  ptdilloway | Nov 21, 2013 |
Alternate History. What if America would have gone fascist in WWII? Lindbergh is elected president. America stays out of WWII and befriends Hitler. The story was well developed but the end felt rushed. ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 16, 2013 |
3.5 out of 5.
I really wish I could rate this higher and there are parts of the book that I genuinely found thrilling. And the questions raised are fantastic - I can't wait to see how the discussion trends during my BookClub's next meeting. But there are also parts that are so slow, so overbearing, so boring... Perhaps I am just not the target audience for a Philip Roth novel. Perhaps I am too young to appreciate. Perhaps it's just not my jam - but for everything good in this book, there was something I found just sort of blah. And, again, the cop-out ending is just that: a cop-out. I expect (nay, demand) more from authors of Mr. Roth's stature. But you can't win them all, I suppose.

More TK later this week at RB: http://wp.me/pGVzJ-Oq ( )
  drewsof | Oct 24, 2013 |

Philip Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kooman, KoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Línek, JosefTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mantovani, VincenzoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zwart, JannekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To S.F.R.
Fear presides over these memories, a perpetual fear.
Original title: The Plot Against America

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0618509283, Hardcover)

"What if" scenarios are often suspect. They are sometimes thinly veiled tales of the gospel according to the author, taking on the claustrophobic air of a personal fantasia that can't be shared. Such is not the case with Philip Roth's tour de force, The Plot Against America. It is a credible, fully-realized picture of what could happen anywhere, at any time, if the right people and circumstances come together.

The Plot Against America explores a wholly imagined thesis and sees it through to the end: Charles A. Lindbergh defeats FDR for the Presidency in 1940. Lindbergh, the "Lone Eagle," captured the country's imagination by his solo Atlantic crossing in 1927 in the monoplane, Spirit of St. Louis, then had the country's sympathy upon the kidnapping and murder of his young son. He was a true American hero: brave, modest, handsome, a patriot. According to some reliable sources, he was also a rabid isolationist, Nazi sympathizer, and a crypto-fascist. It is these latter attributes of Lindbergh that inform the novel.

The story is framed in Roth's own family history: the family flat in Weequahic, the neighbors, his parents, Bess and Herman, his brother, Sandy and seven-year-old Philip. Jewishness is always the scrim through which Roth examines American contemporary culture. His detractors say that he sees persecution everywhere, that he is vigilant in "Keeping faith with the certainty of Jewish travail"; his less severe critics might cavil about his portrayal of Jewish mothers and his sexual obsession, but generally give him good marks, and his fans read every word he writes and heap honors upon him. This novel will engage and satisfy every camp.

"Fear presides over these memories, a perpetual fear. Of course, no childhood is without its terrors, yet I wonder if I would have been a less frightened boy if Lindbergh hadn't been president or if I hadn't been the offspring of Jews." This is the opening paragraph of the book, which sets the stage and tone for all that follows. Fear is palpable throughout; fear of things both real and imagined. A central event of the novel is the relocation effort made through the Office of American Absorption, a government program whereby Jews would be placed, family by family, across the nation, thereby breaking up their neighborhoods--ghettos--and removing them from each other and from any kind of ethnic solidarity. The impact this edict has on Philip and all around him is horrific and life-changing. Throughout the novel, Roth interweaves historical names such as Walter Winchell, who tries to run against Lindbergh. The twist at the end is more than surprising--it is positively ingenious.

Roth has written a magnificent novel, arguably his best work in a long time. It is tempting to equate his scenario with current events, but resist, resist. Of course it is a cautionary tale, but, beyond that, it is a contribution to American letters by a man working at the top of his powers. --Valerie Ryan

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:33 -0400)

In a novel of alternative history, aviation hero Charles A. Lindbergh defeats Franklin Roosevelt in the 1940 presidential election, negotiating an accord with Adolf Hitler and accepting his conquest of Europe and anti-Semitic policies.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,237,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible