Storm Thief by Chris Wooding

Storm Thief (edition 2006)

by Chris Wooding

Member:AmyBHenderson
Title:Storm Thief
Authors:Chris Wooding
Info:Orchard Books (2006), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Gave Away

Storm Thief by Chris Wooding

The concept of the world seems neat, but the world as built by Wooding makes no sense.  The plot and characters are cliches.  Awkwardly overwritten.  Descriptions of the boy's mask and his discomfort about it are repeated ad nauseum, for example.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Steampunk crunchy goodness. Would make a good movie. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
This story is set in the imaginary city of Orokos. The city is completely isolated. There is no way off the island; anyone who has tried has been killed. Two ghetto kids, Moa & Rail join a thieves group and survive by stealing. Probability storms plague the city. They are unpredictable and dangerous. They can cause simple changes or scary changes. During one storm, Moa went from being right handed to being left handed. During another, Rail lost the ability to breathe properly on his own and he must now wear a respirator. One day Rail discovers a precious artifact and decides to keep it for himself. But when the head of the thieves discovers what he has done, the kids are forced to run for their lives. Will they escape or will they be caught by the Protectorate & the secret police? Is there life outside of Orokos? Read & find out. Great sci-fi/adventure story. ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
Imaginative, and yes he added some diversity with his dark skinned, dreadlocked boy. However, this dystopia unconsciously featured one of the things wrong in our current society, patriarchy. The female co-protagonist, Moa, was so incompetent at everything except caring and being protected that it was hard to take. I could have though if she were balanced out by other female characters. However, there was a general lack of females in the book. Our other females were one spoiled brat, one thief mistress (both stereotypical roles), a girl trapped in a painting and a dangerously fanatical leader of the resistance. That's it. There weren't even other girls among the thieves chasing them. ( )
  cammykitty | Aug 19, 2014 |
Summary: The island city of Orokos has been trapped in isolation for so long that the idea of a "world outside Orokos" had become a dream for only the naive and the fanatics. There is nothing outside of Orokos, and Orokos is nothing but city, ghetto, and the ruling Protectorate. Chaos storms wreak havoc upon Orokos and its inhabitants - picking people up and dropping them elsewhere; crippling some people while giving life to others. Even eyeshadow isn't too small to be overlooked by the probability storms.

When Rail and Moa make a snap decision to hide an expensive artifact from their Thief Mistress, they must flee with an assassin hot on their trail. While running, they come across a golem, Vago, who'd been misplaced by a probability storm before he had any idea of who he was, where he was from, or why he was made. Where can these refugees go when the Protectorate rules with an iron fist - keeping ghetto-folk away from the city? Their path is simply a series of coincidences strung together...leading, where?

My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this book. The characters were simple enough to flow well in a book for young teens, but each character had an interesting mixture of strengths and weaknesses. My favorite character was Vago, the Golem, whose process of self-discovery throughout the story made him intriguing.

I loved the philosophical underpinnings of this story. It reminded us that the random power of entropy will always win. It always destroys what we have worked to build. Entropy is a non-stoppable machine. So why do we continue fighting it? Why do we continue dreaming of that "other world" when we have so much evidence that it doesn't exist? Why do we clutch hopefully to mere coincidences and use them to fuel our dreams?

Full review on my blog Resistance is Futile ( )
  The_Hibernator | Aug 17, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043986514X, Paperback)

A darkly thrilling new novel from master storyteller Chris Wooding, about a civilization plagued by chaos and reality-rearranging storms.

Orokos is a city of chaos, lashed by probability storms that re-order the world wherever they strike. It covers every inch of the rocky island that it dominates. It has stood for so long that history has forgotten it, and its citizens no longer question what exists beyond its walls. Then three of its denizens discover a map that holds the key to the secret at the heart of Orokos. But there are others, such as the Chief of the Protectorate Secret Police, who would do anything to get their hands on that power...anything at all...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:30 -0400)

With the help of a golem, two teenaged thieves try to survive on the city island of Orokos, where unpredictable probability storms continually change both the landscape and the inhabitants.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,262,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible