The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory
4,555None1,051 (3.73)104
(14) 16th century (47) Britain (14) British (23) Elizabeth I (117) Elizabethan (19) England (163) fiction (383) Henry VIII (30) historical (137) historical fiction (645) historical novel (17) history (46) Inquisition (22) Jewish (17) Judaism (20) Mary I (61) novel (39) own (35) Philippa Gregory (21) Queen Mary (34) read (62) Robert Dudley (32) romance (57) royalty (51) to-read (72) Tudor (119) Tudor England (42) Tudors (86) unread (32)
    Queen's Own Fool by Jane Yolen (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: In the book by Yolen, a girl serves as fool to Mary Queen of Scots. In Gregory's book, a girl serves as fool to Mary I of England.
    The Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir (meggyweg)

English (114)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (115)
Would not recommend it at all. It's only saving grace is that it has a happy ending unlike most of Gregory's other books. The cross-dressing is distracting and plays no real part in the story. Her blind devotion is just plain annoying and I really has to force myself to finish this book. ( )
  Vicky.Arthur | Feb 14, 2014 |
4.5 stars.

14 year old Hannah Green and her father are Jewish and have been running since Hannah's mother was burned at the stake in Spain. They come to England, where Hannah is brought to King Edward's court by Robert Dudley to serve as a fool when he discovers she has the gift of "sight". While Edward is dying, Hannah is sent to keep his sister Mary company. Hannah and Mary become close, and after Mary becomes queen, Hannah is sent to keep company with Mary's half-sister Elizabeth.

Between Robert, Mary and Elizabeth, Hannah is keeping company with and serving three different people with three different agendas. In the meantime, Hannah is betrothed to Daniel, a Jewish boy who has been hiding in England with his own family. Can Hannah keep up with all the deception and treachery that happens at court without getting herself and her Jewish family into trouble?

As much as I've read about the Tudors, I haven't actually read much about Mary, so this was interesting. I know it's fictional, but of course, there is some truth to the events in the story, though Hannah and her family are entirely fictional. This is the second Philippa Gregory book I've read, and another one I've really enjoyed. I will be reading more. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jan 3, 2014 |
RATING: 3.5 stars.

Interesting book, I suppose. Some liberties taken with the period, certainly, but interesting. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
There were definitely things I liked about this book such as the portrayal of Queen Mary, life at and away from the court, and the "secret" life of the Jews. The background of the book seems very accurate and well researched and consistent with other books of this time period. However, the narrator Hannah Green just does not seem believable. The fact that Hannah seems to easily find herself in the position to be "selected" to become the queen's fool is a bit of a stretch. Her relationship with Daniel while still maintaining the role of an intimate friend of both Mary and Elizabeth seems also very improbable.

This is the only book I've read by Philippa Gregory; I'm not sure I'll pick up another one. This was a light entertaining read, but it does not stand up to the works of Jean Plaidy ( )
  maryreinert | Aug 16, 2013 |
This book is written in such a way that you'll cry, laugh, wish, hope, and dream along with Hannah, the protagonist in this lovely book. It sheds a different light on "Bloody Mary" and a different light on Elizabeth I. Very well written, and an amazing read. (:
  Melumebelle | Aug 8, 2013 |
For Anthony
The girl, giggling and overexcited, was running in the sunlit garden, running away from her stepfather, but not so fast that he could not catch her.

A young woman caught in the rivalry between Queen Mary and her half sister, Elizabeth, must find her true destiny amid treason, poisonous rivalries, loss of faith, and unrequited love.

It is winter, 1553. Pursued by the Inquisition, Hannah Green, a fourteen-year-old Jewish girl, is forced to flee Spain with her father. But Hannah is no ordinary refugee. Her gift of "Sight," the ability to foresee the future, is priceless in the troubled times of the Tudor court. Hannah is adopted by the glamorous Robert Dudley, the charismatic son of King Edward's protector, who brings her to court as a "holy fool" for Queen Mary and, ultimately, Queen Elizabeth. Hired as a fool but working as a spy; promised in wedlock but in love with her master; endangered by the laws against heresy, treason, and witchcraft, Hannah must choose between the safe life of a commoner and the dangerous intrigues of the royal family that are inextricably bound up in her own yearnings and desires.

Teeming with vibrant period detail and peopled by characters seamlessly woven into the sweeping tapestry of history, The Queen's Fool is another rich and emotionally resonant gem from this wonderful storyteller.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:27 -0400)

The savage rivalry of the daughters of Henry VIII, Mary Tudor and Elizabeth mirrors that of their mothers, Katherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn. Each will fight by any available means for the crown and future of the kingdom.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible