The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory
    Queen's Own Fool (Stuart Quartet) by Jane Yolen (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: In the book by Yolen, a girl serves as fool to Mary Queen of Scots. In Gregory's book, a girl serves as fool to Mary I of England.
    The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory (KayCliff)
    The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory (Morteana)
    The Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir (meggyweg)

English (126)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (127)
I liked this book so much, that I found it hard to put down/part with it when it was time to do something else but reading.

Usually I'm not very fond of any kind of romance books, but somehow Gregory has found a way to write about the English court that I'm interested in and fond of.

A book about royalty, court life, betrayal, love, war, refuge seeking, religion. I think that if I find another novel by her in this series, I won't leave it alone :-) ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jun 17, 2018 |
Loved this book! Not only did it tell the historical story of the reign of Queen Mary Tudor, but we see it through the eyes of a charming courtier. Hannah is a lost young woman at the beginning, and it's a joy to join her on the journey life brings her. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
This was a good read. It was a little slow in the middle, but overall, I found it entertaining. It was a fictionalized tale of a "converted" Jewish girl, living as a holy fool in the English court of the half-Spanish Queen Mary (16th century). Although there were many maranos(or Spanish Jews converted to Catholicism to avoid death by Inquisition), living in England, the Queen never had one serving in her court.

Hannah is an interesting character, but I felt like she was a little too faithful to her husband. She was able to volley between queen and princess, somehow managing to be on both their sides, but she never took a lover, other than her husband (who had not only taken a lover while they were engaged, but also had a son with that woman). She was able to love two men, but she only had sex with her husband. It was her time apart from him that made her realize she wanted to be a good wife and mother, but I think she should have had sex with Robert Dudley at least once. She considered never marrying and being his mistress, but she never acted on it. I think she should have, because it would have helped her come to the realization that she wanted to be a faithful wife and mother, and this realization would have been based on something more than just being alone in the world with no family of her own. She would have experienced lust and passion without the protection of the law (i.e., a marriage contract), and it would have contributed to her feelings of danger and instability, and it would have also made her long for safety and stability more. In this regard, her character comes off as a little unrealistic and flat. She is so devoted to everyone, but herself.

I remember like The Other Boylen Girl better, but I will most likely read Gregory's other novels when I am in the mood for more historical fiction. ( )
  RojaHorchata | Jul 11, 2016 |
After Mari
  trexm5qp7 | Jun 20, 2016 |
***possible spoilers***

This book was better than The Other Queen, but not by much. The main character was repetitive. But she was less whiny than Mary, Queen of Scots was. I enjoyed the descriptions of what it was like to be Jewish during the Spanish Inquisition and the burning of heretics under Queen Mary. I liked Hannah as a character, but found her very naive. I also couldn't understand how she adored Mary so much, but was terrified daily that Mary would have her burned as a heretic. That part was a little far-fetched. I think I'm getting used to Gregory's writing, so I'll give her one more shot. ( )
  jguidry | Jun 11, 2016 |
For Anthony
The girl, giggling and overexcited, was running in the sunlit garden, running away from her stepfather, but not so fast that he could not catch her.
I relearned the skill of reading backwards, I relearned the skill of the sweep of the ink ball, the flick of the clean sheet and the smooth heave on the handle of the press so that the typeface just kissed the whiteness of the paper and it came away clean.
The old palace at Hatfield had been the royal nursery for generations, chosen for its clean air and proximity to London. It was an old building, small-windowed and dark-beamed.
WorldCat has ISBN 0276428722 for Of Love and Life by Reader's Digest

A young woman caught in the rivalry between Queen Mary and her half sister, Elizabeth, must find her true destiny amid treason, poisonous rivalries, loss of faith, and unrequited love.

It is winter, 1553. Pursued by the Inquisition, Hannah Green, a fourteen-year-old Jewish girl, is forced to flee Spain with her father. But Hannah is no ordinary refugee. Her gift of "Sight," the ability to foresee the future, is priceless in the troubled times of the Tudor court. Hannah is adopted by the glamorous Robert Dudley, the charismatic son of King Edward's protector, who brings her to court as a "holy fool" for Queen Mary and, ultimately, Queen Elizabeth. Hired as a fool but working as a spy; promised in wedlock but in love with her master; endangered by the laws against heresy, treason, and witchcraft, Hannah must choose between the safe life of a commoner and the dangerous intrigues of the royal family that are inextricably bound up in her own yearnings and desires.

Teeming with vibrant period detail and peopled by characters seamlessly woven into the sweeping tapestry of history, The Queen's Fool is another rich and emotionally resonant gem from this wonderful storyteller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:00 -0400)

Upon moving to Bixby, fifteen-year-old Jessica Day learns that she is one of a group of people who have special abilities that help them fight ancient creatures living in an hour hidden at midnight; creatures that seem determined to destroy Jess.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,015,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible