The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

The Red Tent (edition 1998)

by Anita Diamant

Member:dreamydress48
Title:The Red Tent
Authors:Anita Diamant
Info:Picador (1998), Paperback, 321 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:kindle

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (wosret, Kaelkivial)
    Kaelkivial: Both stories of strong women who resist (in one form or another) the system that holds them down. Both books fairly fast paced and gripping; acts of violence and loss scattered throughout.
    Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund (sweetbug)
    sweetbug: Both books take minor female characters from great works and create a larger story for them. The two books also deal with similar themes including women who challenge gender rolls and the relationships between mothers (or surrogate mothers) and daughters.
    Zipporah, Wife of Moses by Marek Halter (joririchardson)
    The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus by Margaret Atwood (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The two novels convey the same idea of reclaiming the story of a marginal woman from a great male narrative, telling the story from a new, feminine perspective.
    Mary, Called Magdalene by Margaret George (meggyweg)
    The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another beautifully written historical fiction with a focus around mother daughter relationships.
    The Cave Dreamers by Jeanne Williams (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: both have women passing on their spirituality/goddess knowledge secretly
    I Been in Sorrow's Kitchen and Licked Out All the Pots by Susan Straight (shesinplainview)
    In the Shadow of the Ark by Anne Provoost (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books have a similar atmosphere and setting, and both are based on biblical events.
    The Gilded Chamber by Rebecca Kohn (themephi)
    Not the End of the World by Geraldine McCaughrean (SandSing7)

English (273)  Danish (1)  All languages (274)
Beautiful novel. Take it for what it is, Fiction. People get too caught up in the fact that these are biblical characters and lose sight of the beautiful story and the history it is based on. Just take it as any other historical fictional novel and it is a good book. I only gave it three stars because although I enjoyed it it didn't leave me feeling like I needed everyone I know to read it as well... ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
Pretty terrible. And now it's going to be a Lifetime miniseries!!!

I'm desperately hoping the series is not going to be something I'm magnetically drawn to, (like a moth to a flame) in hope that a cinematic translation will make the story better than the book was. I did like the author's characterization of Dinah, but no one and nothing else.

And now to decide should I reread it and see if it's any better than it was 4 years ago, or see the series and repent afterwards... I'm still doing penance for watching Sound of Music Live... ( )
  FutureMrsJoshGroban | Aug 4, 2014 |
This book is very loosely based on the Biblical story of Dinah, the daughter of Jacob (Israel) and one of his wives Leah. It is written almost entirely from the perspective of Dinah and her mother and aunties. However, I found it very difficult to recognise the actions and attitudes of the main characters from how they are portrayed in the Old Testament. In some cases it contradicts the Old Testament e.g. Sarah did not arrange the marriage of her son Isaac "according to the custom" - she was dead when the marriage was arranged. And Rachel did not reveal to her father Laban that she had bleed all over the idols; she kept them hidden.
However, it is very sad story from whatever perspective one takes it. ( )
  robeik | Jun 25, 2014 |
I liked this book and did not expect to. Who knew women had it so tough? Sad and sweet, but it is about a woman who survived. It could have happened, I think... ( )
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
Diamant, an award winning journalist, vividly conjures up the ancient world of caravans, shepherds, farmers, midwives, slaves, and artisans in a novel that takes us from Mesopotamia and Canaan down into Egypt... It's revisionist feminist history, to be sure, but inventiveness befits a work of fiction. Diamant's Dinah is a compelling narrator of a tale that has timeless resonance.

The Red Tent instantly drew me in from its very first paragraph. The narrative voice, that of Dinah, reminded me a lot of that of Margaret Atwood’s wonderful Penelopiad which I read last year. It was strong but slightly melancholy and conveyed the same idea of reclaiming the story of a marginal woman from a great male narrative, telling the story from a new, feminine perspective and revealing what ‘really’ happened.

The red tent of the title is the separate tent set aside for the women where they go while menstruating to keep apart from the men. The Red Tent then is a very appropriate title as the book focused almost exclusively on feminine concerns: becoming a woman, giving birth and finding a husband. I appreciated this insight into their secret world and I liked the idea of telling a masculine story to recentre it around the women.

Anita Diamantprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bilger, CarolNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Emilia, my daughter
We have been lost to each other for so long.
If you want to understand any woman you must first ask about her mother and then listen carefully. Stories about food show a strong connection. Wistful silences demonstrate unfinished business. The more a daughter knows the details of her mother’s life—without flinching or whining—the stronger the daughter.

The Red Tent tells the little know Biblical story of Dinah, daughter of the patriarch Jacob and his wife, Leah. In Chapter 34 of the Book of Genesis, Dinah's tale is a short, horrific detour in the familiar narrative of Jacob and Joseph. Anita Diamant imaginatively tells the story from the fresh perspective of its women. In the Biblical tale, Dinah is given no voice; she is the narrator of The Red Tent, which reveals the life of ancient womanhood---the world of the red tent. Readers of The Red Tent will view the Book of Denesis in a new light.
Lacking a legacy
Joseph's sister Shechem's wife
Was a Wise woman

(Lesley_Barker)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312427298, Paperback)

The red tent is the place where women gathered during their cycles of birthing, menses, and even illness. Like the conversations and mysteries held within this feminine tent, this sweeping piece of fiction offers an insider's look at the daily life of a biblical sorority of mothers and wives and their one and only daughter, Dinah. Told in the voice of Jacob's daughter Dinah (who only received a glimpse of recognition in the Book of Genesis), we are privy to the fascinating feminine characters who bled within the red tent. In a confiding and poetic voice, Dinah whispers stories of her four mothers, Rachel, Leah, Zilpah, and Bilhah--all wives to Jacob, and each one embodying unique feminine traits. As she reveals these sensual and emotionally charged stories we learn of birthing miracles, slaves, artisans, household gods, and sisterhood secrets. Eventually Dinah delves into her own saga of betrayals, grief, and a call to midwifery.

"Like any sisters who live together and share a husband, my mother and aunties spun a sticky web of loyalties and grudges," Anita Diamant writes in the voice of Dinah. "They traded secrets like bracelets, and these were handed down to me the only surviving girl. They told me things I was too young to hear. They held my face between their hands and made me swear to remember." Remembering women's earthy stories and passionate history is indeed the theme of this magnificent book. In fact, it's been said that The Red Tent is what the Bible might have been had it been written by God's daughters, instead of her sons. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:30 -0400)

Based on the Book of Genesis, Dinah, Jacob's only daughter, shares her perspectives on the origins of many of our modern religious practices and sexual politics, imparting the lessons she has learned from her father's wives.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,108,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible