The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

The Shadow of the Wind (original 2002; edition 2005)

by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Member:parasolofdoom
Title:The Shadow of the Wind
Authors:Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Info:Penguin Books (2005), Paperback, 487 pages
Rating:*****

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (2002)

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (phoenix7g, orange_epsilon)
    orange_epsilon: Prequel to The Shadow of the Wind set in Barcelona in the 1920s and 1930s. If you enjoyed the first one, you should give this one a try.
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (robynlinden, GodOfTheAnthill)
    GodOfTheAnthill: Both mystery novels with a similar tone and atmosphere
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (rmjp518, starfishian, elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both centre around books/literature, both are eloquently written, both have an element of mystery
    The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (guurtjesboekenkast)
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (derelicious)
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (susiesharp, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: If you want to read more (and better!) about the love of books and reading
    The Dumas Club by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (jhedlund, phoenix7g, Cecilturtle)
    phoenix7g: Mystery and books.
    Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although they have very different settings (1950s Spain in Shadow of the Wind and modern San Francisco in Mr. Penumbra's), these adventure stories, with underpinnings of romance, offer unique perspectives on the role of books and reading in our lives.… (more)
    The Little Book by Selden Edwards (Othemts)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (missmaddie)
    The Book on Fire by Keith Miller (infiniteletters)
    The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: The mystery contained in a book is at the heart of both these thrillers.
    Stoner by John Edward Williams (vivas)
    vivas: Libro excepcional,escrito de forma sencilla,culta y facil de entender
    A Small Death in Lisbon by Robert Wilson (ehines)
    Night Film by Marisha Pessl (Sammiwithani)
    Soldiers of Salamis by Javier Cercas (caflores)
    The Calligrapher's Secret by Rafik Schami (spiphany)
    City of Marvels by Eduardo Mendoza (caflores)
    Barcelona Amor Final by Joan Margarit (CitizenMarc)
    CitizenMarc: If you love the city, both these books bring alive aspects of its character that will evoke fond memories, or intrigue you.

English (678)  Dutch (28)  Spanish (26)  French (18)  Italian (15)  German (11)  Catalan (7)  Swedish (4)  All (4)  Finnish (4)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (2)  All (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (801)
The setting is Barcelona, in the summer of 1945. A young boy, Daniel Sempere, is introduced by his father, a bookseller, to The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, a sanctuary for books "consigned to oblivion", "lost in time", no longer remembered by anyone but waiting for the day when they will reach a new reader's hands. Daniel is instructed to pick one book to preserve forever, and sworn to absolute secrecy about the existence of this amazing library. He chooses, completely at random (or so it seems) a novel entitled The Shadow of the Wind by Julian Carax, an author even his father has never heard of. The book grips Daniel's 10-year-old imagination, and once he finishes reading it he is determined to find all the other books Carax has written and read them immediately. This turns out to be an impossible quest, as no other books by this author can be found in any of the libraries or shops in the City. It is suggested that someone has been systematically collecting and destroying Carax's work for years. As Daniel pursues the mystery of what has become of books and author, he is drawn into a gothic tale that unfolds in an eerily familiar way...The Shadow of the Wind appears to have told the story of Carax's life, but the final chapters have not yet been written, and Daniel himself may be instrumental in bringing it to a close. As the years pass, Daniel meets a number of people who knew Julian Carax, and from their reminiscences he puts together the tale of the "ghostly odyssey in which the protagonist struggled to recover his lost youth, and in which the shadow of a cursed love slowly surfaced to haunt him until his last breath." Although this was Daniel's description of the novel's action, it perfectly describes Carax's life as well. Daniel also meets the demonic Inspector Fumero, one of the companions of Carax's youth, whose recurring presence in his own life never brings good fortune with it. The structure of this novel is challenging; the narrator changes frequently, as one after another of Carax's former friends and acquaintances fill in the bits of the tragedy they know. To quote Daniel again "As it unfolded, the structure of the story began to remind me of one of those Russian dolls that contain innumerable ever-smaller dolls within. Step by step the narrative split into a thousand stories, as if it had entered a gallery of mirrors, its identity fragmented into endless reflections." Yes...well...he warned me early on. But still, occasionally I lost track of who was "speaking", and I had some issues with the pacing of the novel. There were times when I felt I was pushing myself on, but I never lost interest in the Story. Most likely, I would enjoy a second reading more fully, and I might then give the book 4 stars, but for now, I'll settle on 3 1/2. ( )
1 vote laytonwoman3rd | May 15, 2017 |
I really liked this book, and if I were a mystery lover I'd have given it 5 stars. I loved the characters, the wonderful dialogue and descriptions, the sense of getting to know Barcelona a certain point in time, and the originality of the plot. The thing is, I find reading mysteries frustrating. I'm constantly having to go back to re-read section when I realize their importance to the story. I don't know. They just feel like too much work. I know Zafon has another book out. I'll definitely check it out as he is definitely a master writer. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
Zafon had me hooked at "the cemetery of forgotten books." I am re-reading this wonderful Gothic novel in preparation for reading two of his other novels, The Angel's Game and The Prisoner of Heaven. Who can resist a book about books? ( )
  JBSassypants | May 7, 2017 |
Couldn't finish it. I don't think I even made it 1/4 of the way through. was turned off by the explicit sexual scenes especially considering the first involved an 11 year old. They felt gratuitous and unnecessary. ( )
  AliceaP | Apr 24, 2017 |
This was a good book. Three stars means 'good' in my complex rating system. However it somehow gave the impression that it had pretensions to be a great novel and it fell short. The ingredients seemed right but what came out the oven you wouldn't serve to your friends. I almost gave up half way through but was ultimately glad I finished it as it got better. Evocative descriptions of Barcelona. ( )
  Lord_Boris | Feb 21, 2017 |
It's lowdown and lazy, but here goes: ''Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges'' for a sprawling magic show, exasperatingly tricky and mostly wonderful, by the Spanish novelist Carlos Ruiz Zafón. The three illustrious meeters must surely have been drinking and they weave about a little, but steady remarkably as the pages go by.

Als een boekverkoper zijn tienjarige zoon meeneemt naar het paleisachtige, geheimzinnige Kerkhof der Vergeten Boeken, raakt Daniel betoverd door De schaduw van de wind. Hij neemt zich voor achter de identiteit van de schrijver Julian Carax te komen. Sterker nog: hij lijkt het leven van deze mysterieuze man te gaan leven. Tegen de achtergrond van het Barcelona van de Burgeroorlog en Franco ontrolt zich een fascinerend verhaal, of feitelijk vele verhalen over figuren die zich in de nabijheid van Carax ophielden én mensen rondom Daniel. De structuur van het verhaal is als een Russische pop, die eindeloos veel kleinere poppen in zich heeft verstopt. Carlos Ruiz Zafon (1964) heeft een fantasierijke, knappe roman geschreven vol avontuur, spanning, en liefde, die je in één adem uitleest. Zijn taalgebruik is prachtig, zijn belezenheid groot en de vertaling is vloeiend. Velen zullen van deze onderhoudende, intelligente roman genieten.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, Fieke Nugteren

The Shadow of the Wind is a dream date for those who love books.... For fans of Jorge Luis Borges, Umberto Eco and other writers who craft twisting and turning plots with complex characterization, The Shadow of the Wind is not to be missed.

Ruiz Zafón, Carlosprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Geel, NellekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graves, LuciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Härkönen, TarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwaar, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sezzi, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

"Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges for a sprawling magic show." --The New York Times Book Review

A New York Times Bestseller

Barcelona, 1945: A city slowly heals in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War, and Daniel, an antiquarian book dealer’s son who mourns the loss of his mother, finds solace in a mysterious book entitled The Shadow of the Wind, by one Julián Carax. But when he sets out to find the author’s other works, he makes a shocking discovery: someone has been systematically destroying every copy of every book Carax has written. In fact, Daniel may have the last of Carax’s books in existence. Soon Daniel’s seemingly innocent quest opens a door into one of Barcelona’s darkest secrets--an epic story of murder, madness, and doomed love.

“ Anyone who enjoys novels that are scary, erotic, touching, tragic and thrilling should rush right out to the nearest bookstore and pick up The Shadow of the Wind. Really, you should.” --Michael Dirda, The Washington Post

"Wonderous... masterful... The Shadow of the Wind is ultimately a love letter to literature, intended for readers as passionate about storytelling as its young hero." --Entertainment Weekly (Editor's Choice)

"One gorgeous read." --Stephen King

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:43 -0400)

A boy named Daniel selects a novel from a library of rare books, enjoying it so much that he searches for the rest of the author's works, only to discover that someone is destroying every book the author has ever written.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Carlos Ruiz Zafón's book The Shadow of the Wind was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,373,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible