Sombra do Vento, A by Carlos Ruiz…

Sombra do Vento, A (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Member:piroclasto
Title:Sombra do Vento, A
Authors:Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Info:ORION, 2004
Rating:***1/2

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (2001)

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (phoenix7g, orange_epsilon)
    orange_epsilon: Prequel to The Shadow of the Wind set in Barcelona in the 1920s and 1930s. If you enjoyed the first one, you should give this one a try.
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (robynlinden, GodOfTheAnthill)
    GodOfTheAnthill: Both mystery novels with a similar tone and atmosphere
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (rmjp518, starfishian, elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both centre around books/literature, both are eloquently written, both have an element of mystery
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (derelicious)
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (susiesharp, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (guurtjesboekenkast)
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: If you want to read more (and better!) about the love of books and reading
    The Dumas Club by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (jhedlund, phoenix7g, Cecilturtle)
    phoenix7g: Mystery and books.
    The Little Book by Selden Edwards (Othemts)
    A Small Death in Lisbon by Robert Wilson (ehines)
    The Book on Fire by Keith Miller (infiniteletters)
    Stoner by John Williams (vivas)
    vivas: Libro excepcional,escrito de forma sencilla,culta y facil de entender
    The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: The mystery contained in a book is at the heart of both these thrillers.
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (missmaddie)
    City of Marvels by Eduardo Mendoza (caflores)
    Soldiers of Salamis by Javier Cercas (caflores)
    The Calligrapher's Secret by Rafik Schami (spiphany)
    Ghostwritten by David Mitchell (derelicious)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (roby72)
    The Book of Flying by Keith Miller (MyriadBooks)

English (601)  Dutch (27)  Spanish (24)  French (17)  Italian (14)  German (11)  Catalan (7)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Swedish (4)  Finnish (4)  Portuguese (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (719)
Zafón chose to begin his series about The Cemetery of Forgotten Books the best way he could. Once you start The Shadow of the Wind, you cannot give up. With these books, Zafón has turned into one of the most important authors within Spanish literature. ( )
  bedeo31 | Mar 24, 2015 |
"Had" to read for book club... so very glad I did!!! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
The Shadow of the Wind opens in mid-centry Barcelona as Daniel Sempere and his father visit the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. Daniel is allowed to select one book with the condition that he must serve as the book's steward for the rest of his life. He becomes enthralled with the story and the author, Julian Carax, and sets out to find more of Carax's work. These efforts, however, bring him the unwanted attention of a man named Lain Coubert, whose sole purpose is to destroy all memory of Carax. Daniel must unravel the mystery shrouding Carax in order to protect his book, which turns out to be a complicated and dangerous task.

The Shadow of the Wind is a book-book; a self-referential book in the best way. It contains elements of mystery, gothic, romance, noir, and adventure, all with a heavy dose of humor delivered through the character of Fermin. The language is a bit flowery, which took some getting used to, but once I adjusted I enjoyed it immensely. It's a fun read that book lovers of all sorts will enjoy, provided they don't take themselves TOO seriously.

I somehow never heard of this book until a coworker gave it to me for our Secret Santa exchange (thanks Diane!). She gave it a glowing review and might just be Carlos Ruiz Zafon's biggest fan. But, aside from her praise, I didn't know much else - nothing of the plot or the broader hype that surrounds it. And...I loved it. I was along for the ride and having so much fun. I had a sneaking suspicion pretty much right off the bat for how the main plot would end up, though there were bits and pieces that I wasn't sure of. I deliberately ignored my theory, though, so that I could enjoy the story and the various subplots. Zafon establishes the characters and sets the scene quite well. It's one of those books that feels like a movie is screening behind your eyelids as you read. And Fermin made me laugh almost every time he opened his mouth. I would recommend this for book nerds and anyone who's in need of a mood boost and wants a good story while they're at it. ( )
1 vote cattylj | Feb 28, 2015 |
Gostei muito do livro! Geralmente, os romances policiais não me atraem muito, mas esse é muito bem escrito! A narrativa é eloquente! É daqueles livros que a gente não consegue mais largar quando começa a ler. Além disso, a escrita é poética em alguns momentos e o contexto interessante: Barcelona pós guerra. Recomendo! ( )
  pjaques | Feb 1, 2015 |
I couldn't imagine a more mystical, powerful, mysterious, or just generally marvelous place to be in the literary world than the secret library that Carlos Ruiz Zafon describes in this movie. The entire idea of a furtive safe haven for lost books and bibliophiles is so intriguing that it makes me wonder that there aren't any here in the present, real world! Fantastic story and characters. ( )
1 vote ReverendMoon | Jan 25, 2015 |
It's lowdown and lazy, but here goes: ''Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges'' for a sprawling magic show, exasperatingly tricky and mostly wonderful, by the Spanish novelist Carlos Ruiz Zafón. The three illustrious meeters must surely have been drinking and they weave about a little, but steady remarkably as the pages go by.

The Shadow of the Wind is a dream date for those who love books.... For fans of Jorge Luis Borges, Umberto Eco and other writers who craft twisting and turning plots with complex characterization, The Shadow of the Wind is not to be missed.

Ruiz Zafón, Carlosprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Geel, NellekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graves, LuciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Härkönen, TarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sezzi, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

For Joan Ramón Planas,
who deserves better
I still remember the day my father took me to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books for the first time.
Sometimes what matters isn't what one gives but what one gives up.

Paris requires more than two days. It won't listen to reason.

Age -- the price we all must pay.

Army, Marriage, the Church, and Banking: the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse.
"Every book, every volume you see here has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it."
His mouth was glued to a half-smoked cigar that seemed to grow out of his mustache. It was hard to tell whether he was asleep or awake, because he breathed like most people snore.
When a library disappears, or a book shop closes down, when a book is cosigned to oblivion, those of us who know this place, its guardians, make sure that it gets here. In this place, books no longer remembered by anyone, books that are lost in time, live forever, waiting for the day when they will reach a new reader's hands. In the shop we buy and sell them, but in truth books have no owner. Every book you see here has been someone's best friend. Now they have only us, Daniel.
"[W]e exist as long as somebody remembers us."

"Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges for a sprawling magic show." --The New York Times Book Review

A New York Times Bestseller

Barcelona, 1945: A city slowly heals in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War, and Daniel, an antiquarian book dealer’s son who mourns the loss of his mother, finds solace in a mysterious book entitled The Shadow of the Wind, by one Julián Carax. But when he sets out to find the author’s other works, he makes a shocking discovery: someone has been systematically destroying every copy of every book Carax has written. In fact, Daniel may have the last of Carax’s books in existence. Soon Daniel’s seemingly innocent quest opens a door into one of Barcelona’s darkest secrets--an epic story of murder, madness, and doomed love.

“ Anyone who enjoys novels that are scary, erotic, touching, tragic and thrilling should rush right out to the nearest bookstore and pick up The Shadow of the Wind. Really, you should.” --Michael Dirda, The Washington Post

"Wonderous... masterful... The Shadow of the Wind is ultimately a love letter to literature, intended for readers as passionate about storytelling as its young hero." --Entertainment Weekly (Editor's Choice)

"One gorgeous read." --Stephen King

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:39 -0400)

A boy named Daniel selects a novel from a library of rare books, enjoying it so much that he searches for the rest of the author's works, only to discover that someone is destroying every book the author has ever written.

4 1983

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,161,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible