The Shadow Of The Wind. Translated by Lucia…

The Shadow Of The Wind. Translated by Lucia Graves (original 2001; edition 2004)

by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Member:amyandroland
Title:The Shadow Of The Wind. Translated by Lucia Graves
Authors:Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Info:The Penguin Press. New York (2004), Edition: First Edition, Paperback

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (Author) (2001)

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (phoenix7g, orange_epsilon)
    orange_epsilon: Prequel to The Shadow of the Wind set in Barcelona in the 1920s and 1930s. If you enjoyed the first one, you should give this one a try.
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (robynlinden, GodOfTheAnthill)
    GodOfTheAnthill: Both mystery novels with a similar tone and atmosphere
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (rmjp518, starfishian, elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both centre around books/literature, both are eloquently written, both have an element of mystery
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (susiesharp, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (guurtjesboekenkast)
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (derelicious)
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: If you want to read more (and better!) about the love of books and reading
    The Dumas Club by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (jhedlund, phoenix7g, Cecilturtle)
    phoenix7g: Mystery and books.
    Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although they have very different settings (1950s Spain in Shadow of the Wind and modern San Francisco in Mr. Penumbra's), these adventure stories, with underpinnings of romance, offer unique perspectives on the role of books and reading in our lives.… (more)
    The Little Book by Selden Edwards (Othemts)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (missmaddie)
    Stoner by John Edward Williams (vivas)
    vivas: Libro excepcional,escrito de forma sencilla,culta y facil de entender
    The Book on Fire by Keith Miller (infiniteletters)
    The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: The mystery contained in a book is at the heart of both these thrillers.
    A Small Death in Lisbon by Robert Wilson (ehines)
    The Calligrapher's Secret by Rafik Schami (spiphany)
    Soldiers of Salamis by Javier Cercas (caflores)
    Night Film by Marisha Pessl (Sammiwithani)
    The City of Marvels by Eduardo Mendoza (caflores)
    Gentlemen of the Road: A Tale of Adventure by Michael Chabon (Limelite)
    Limelite: Intrepid hero also faces life's perils in the company of wiseacre sidekick possessed of superior talents.

English (720)  Dutch (29)  Spanish (26)  French (18)  Italian (17)  German (12)  Catalan (7)  Swedish (4)  Finnish (4)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Danish (3)  Portuguese (2)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (849)
3.5/5 stars

This was an interesting story. It definitely went in a direction I wasn't expecting, but it was enjoyable.

Daniel is the son of a bookshop owner, and one day, his father brings him to The Cemetery of Forgotten Books. Here Daniel must choose a book that he will protect with his life, and ensure that no one forgets about it. Daniel stumbles upon, The Shadow of the Wind, and his quest to find out the mysterious happenings to the author entangle him in something much more than he expected.

The plot of this novel, overall was good, but the beginning took a long time to get to the meat of the story. The mystery was very intriguing, and I really wanted to know the conspiracies going on! I was guessing at who people were - and I was erroneously wrong - and I really enjoyed how all the pieces came together.

The characters felt distant. I cared what happened to Daniel, but half the time I forgot his name. His obsession with Carax was really interesting, and I liked the different kinds of people we were introduced to as he unravelled the mystery of The Shadow of the Wind.

The writing was well done, but felt overly descriptive at times, and like there were just too many words. I felt like the book didn't need to be as long as it was, yet the story it told was compelling after the halfway mark. I think the translator did a great job creating the atmosphere of the novel as well.

The atmosphere and setting is what sucked me in as well. Barcelona just sounded so beautiful, and creepy, and I really liked how we explored different parts of it, solving the mystery.

Overall, this was quite enjoyable, but I'm not sure if I'll pick up other books in this series or not. ( )
  jdifelice | Oct 8, 2018 |
At the start, it reminded me a lot of Great Expectations. In the middle, I slowed a bit. Near the end, I raced. Good stuff. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |
My father left this book at my house with the comment, "I can't get into this one, maybe you'll like it."

So with that glowing recommendation, it sat on my shelf for months, until I needed something to pack for a long-haul flight to Europe, and so it found its way into my luggage -- not without some misgivings on my part. "I'm boarding a ten-hour flight with no wifi and no seat-back TV," I texted a friend before taking off. "I only have one book with me, so here's hoping it's not too awful."

Suffice to say that, as far as my packing decisions go, I have no regrets. The blurb that compares it to Alexandre Dumas written by Umberto Eco by way of Jorge Luis Borges wasn't too far off the mark.

It is not without its flaws, but I forgive it those because I'm easily won over by stories-within-stories; gothic themes of mystery, tragic love, fate, obsession and madness; and depictions of a particular time and place (Zafón knocks this last one of the park with his extraordinarily vivid Barcelona).

Like [b:Palimpsest|3973532|Palimpsest|Catherynne M. Valente|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320532857s/3973532.jpg|4019291], I love this book without being able to tell if it's a genuinely good book wrapped in the trappings of a guilty pleasure or vice versa. ( )
  wirehead | Sep 3, 2018 |
could not be bothered to finish -sounded so intriguing, but it was so boring!!! ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
Que livro maravilhoso, tão bem escrito e com uma história de mistério, tragédia e personagens maravilhosas. Tudo isto num cenário maravilhoso que é Barcelona mas escura, gótica. Um livro que me encheu o coração, aqueceu a alma e que eu não desejava terminar. ( )
  Telma_tx | Jul 30, 2018 |
It's lowdown and lazy, but here goes: ''Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges'' for a sprawling magic show, exasperatingly tricky and mostly wonderful, by the Spanish novelist Carlos Ruiz Zafón. The three illustrious meeters must surely have been drinking and they weave about a little, but steady remarkably as the pages go by.

Als een boekverkoper zijn tienjarige zoon meeneemt naar het paleisachtige, geheimzinnige Kerkhof der Vergeten Boeken, raakt Daniel betoverd door De schaduw van de wind. Hij neemt zich voor achter de identiteit van de schrijver Julian Carax te komen. Sterker nog: hij lijkt het leven van deze mysterieuze man te gaan leven. Tegen de achtergrond van het Barcelona van de Burgeroorlog en Franco ontrolt zich een fascinerend verhaal, of feitelijk vele verhalen over figuren die zich in de nabijheid van Carax ophielden én mensen rondom Daniel. De structuur van het verhaal is als een Russische pop, die eindeloos veel kleinere poppen in zich heeft verstopt. Carlos Ruiz Zafon (1964) heeft een fantasierijke, knappe roman geschreven vol avontuur, spanning, en liefde, die je in één adem uitleest. Zijn taalgebruik is prachtig, zijn belezenheid groot en de vertaling is vloeiend. Velen zullen van deze onderhoudende, intelligente roman genieten.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, Fieke Nugteren

The Shadow of the Wind is a dream date for those who love books.... For fans of Jorge Luis Borges, Umberto Eco and other writers who craft twisting and turning plots with complex characterization, The Shadow of the Wind is not to be missed.

Ruiz Zafón, CarlosAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Geel, NellekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graves, LuciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Härkönen, TarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwaar, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sezzi, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Joan Ramon Planas, who deserves better
I still remember the day my father took me to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books for the first time.
In the shop we buy and sell them, but in truth books have no owner.

"Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges for a sprawling magic show." --The New York Times Book Review

A New York Times Bestseller

Barcelona, 1945: A city slowly heals in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War, and Daniel, an antiquarian book dealer’s son who mourns the loss of his mother, finds solace in a mysterious book entitled The Shadow of the Wind, by one Julián Carax. But when he sets out to find the author’s other works, he makes a shocking discovery: someone has been systematically destroying every copy of every book Carax has written. In fact, Daniel may have the last of Carax’s books in existence. Soon Daniel’s seemingly innocent quest opens a door into one of Barcelona’s darkest secrets--an epic story of murder, madness, and doomed love.

“ Anyone who enjoys novels that are scary, erotic, touching, tragic and thrilling should rush right out to the nearest bookstore and pick up The Shadow of the Wind. Really, you should.” --Michael Dirda, The Washington Post

"Wonderous... masterful... The Shadow of the Wind is ultimately a love letter to literature, intended for readers as passionate about storytelling as its young hero." --Entertainment Weekly (Editor's Choice)

"One gorgeous read." --Stephen King

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:43 -0400)

A boy named Daniel selects a novel from a library of rare books, enjoying it so much that he searches for the rest of the author's works, only to discover that someone is destroying every book the author has ever written.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Carlos Ruiz Zafón's book The Shadow of the Wind was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,500,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible