The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz…

The Shadow of the Wind (original 2001; edition 2005)

by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, Lucia Graves (Translator)

Title:The Shadow of the Wind
Authors:Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Other authors:Lucia Graves (Translator)
Info:Penguin Books (2005), Paperback, 487 pages

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (2001)

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (phoenix7g, orange_epsilon)
    orange_epsilon: Prequel to The Shadow of the Wind set in Barcelona in the 1920s and 1930s. If you enjoyed the first one, you should give this one a try.
    The Thirteenth Tale: A Novel by Diane Setterfield (rmjp518, starfishian, elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both centre around books/literature, both are eloquently written, both have an element of mystery
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (robynlinden, GodOfTheAnthill)
    GodOfTheAnthill: Both mystery novels with a similar tone and atmosphere
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (derelicious)
    The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (guurtjesboekenkast)
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (susiesharp, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Dumas Club by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (jhedlund, phoenix7g, Cecilturtle)
    phoenix7g: Mystery and books.
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: If you want to read more (and better!) about the love of books and reading
    The Little Book by Selden Edwards (Othemts)
    A Small Death in Lisbon by Robert Wilson (ehines)
    The Book on Fire by Keith Miller (infiniteletters)
    Soldiers of Salamis by Javier Cercas (caflores)
    City of Marvels by Eduardo Mendoza (caflores)
    Stoner by John Williams (vivas)
    vivas: Libro excepcional,escrito de forma sencilla,culta y facil de entender
    The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: The mystery contained in a book is at the heart of both these thrillers.
    The Calligrapher's Secret by Rafik Schami (spiphany)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (missmaddie)
    Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although they have very different settings (1950s Spain in Shadow of the Wind and modern San Francisco in Mr. Penumbra's), these adventure stories, with underpinnings of romance, offer unique perspectives on the role of books and reading in our lives.… (more)
    Gentlemen of the Road: A Tale of Adventure by Michael Chabon (Limelite)
    Limelite: Intrepid hero also faces life's perils in the company of wiseacre sidekick possessed of superior talents.
    Ghostwritten by David Mitchell (derelicious)

English (627)  Dutch (27)  Spanish (24)  French (17)  Italian (14)  German (11)  Catalan (7)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Swedish (4)  Finnish (4)  Portuguese (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (745)
2 copies ( )
  cfinn | Oct 2, 2015 |
Very rich book. Sometimes a little more fantastic than I generally like, but the premise is great! ( )
1 vote Big_Blue | Sep 29, 2015 |
First let me say that I enjoyed this book well enough and was, again and again, willing to forgive technical issues that leapt off the page because, yes, Zafon has a lovely turn of phrase and, yes, the opening of the book is utterly enchanting and, yes, the mystery of who Carax is pulled me in and kept me reading. But I honestly wonder if the effusive critics only read the first half because, for me, it finally fell apart about two thirds of the way through - and, frankly, I could see it coming because it was a structural mess from the start.

The book is written in the first person, which is often fine for mysteries but, unfortunately, the protagonist is not a policeman, nor a private eye, nor even old enough to do much investigation beyond finding people who will tell him things - at length, in narrative, and often including information they, themselves could not possibly have had access to, particularly in such detail. About a third of the way through, Zafon gives up the lengthy dialogue and just launches into our protagonist telling us what he'd been told but, again, at length, in narrative, and often including information they, themselves could not possibly have had access to, particularly in such detail. Eventually, he gives up even the pretence of trying to stick to his chosen narrative perspective and we get a 90 page manuscript from another character, which is also in first person, except when it's not, and which contains in it so much of what we already knew that I wondered if this had been the authors original treatment for the story and, lost for a way to work in the small amount of crucial new information, he'd decided to shove the whole thing in.

I know this is not only a mystery story, and I did enjoy the stories framing it - particularly that of Fermin, and the political aspects - but the mystery was the heart of it and the way it was presented just smacked of an author without the tools to structure it properly - perhaps he hasn't read enough non-literary, mystery books. In fact, a lack of exposure to popular media may also explain why, when the 'big revelation' comes (don't worry, no spoilers) it is such a disappointment - I had thrice picked it but dismissed it as being the plot of a daytime soap opera, not an acclaimed literary novel.

Overall, it's a nice read, especially at the beginning, but a good structural editor might have helped to make it the great book everyone seems to say it is - but don't mind me, I'm just one of those people that thinks there's more to good writing than a lovely turn of phrase and an enchanting idea.
  Darcy-Conroy | Sep 28, 2015 |
Intriguing mystery set in the aftermath of the wars which brought Franco to power. While I figured out the actual mystery early on, it was fun to see all the pieces fall into place. Tends to melodrama at times. I found the book overwritten, but this may just be an effect of the translation.

lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |

lucybrown | Sep 27, 2015 |
It's lowdown and lazy, but here goes: ''Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges'' for a sprawling magic show, exasperatingly tricky and mostly wonderful, by the Spanish novelist Carlos Ruiz Zafón. The three illustrious meeters must surely have been drinking and they weave about a little, but steady remarkably as the pages go by.
Als een boekverkoper zijn tienjarige zoon meeneemt naar het paleisachtige, geheimzinnige Kerkhof der Vergeten Boeken, raakt Daniel betoverd door De schaduw van de wind. Hij neemt zich voor achter de identiteit van de schrijver Julian Carax te komen. Sterker nog: hij lijkt het leven van deze mysterieuze man te gaan leven. Tegen de achtergrond van het Barcelona van de Burgeroorlog en Franco ontrolt zich een fascinerend verhaal, of feitelijk vele verhalen over figuren die zich in de nabijheid van Carax ophielden én mensen rondom Daniel. De structuur van het verhaal is als een Russische pop, die eindeloos veel kleinere poppen in zich heeft verstopt. Carlos Ruiz Zafon (1964) heeft een fantasierijke, knappe roman geschreven vol avontuur, spanning, en liefde, die je in één adem uitleest. Zijn taalgebruik is prachtig, zijn belezenheid groot en de vertaling is vloeiend. Velen zullen van deze onderhoudende, intelligente roman genieten.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, Fieke Nugteren
The Shadow of the Wind is a dream date for those who love books.... For fans of Jorge Luis Borges, Umberto Eco and other writers who craft twisting and turning plots with complex characterization, The Shadow of the Wind is not to be missed.

Ruiz Zafón, Carlosprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Geel, NellekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graves, LuciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Härkönen, TarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sezzi, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

For Joan Ramón Planas,
who deserves better
I still remember the day my father took me to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books for the first time.
Sometimes what matters isn't what one gives but what one gives up.

Paris requires more than two days. It won't listen to reason.

Age — the price we all must pay.

Army, Marriage, the Church, and Banking: the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse.
"Every book, every volume you see here has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it."
His mouth was glued to a half-smoked cigar that seemed to grow out of his mustache. It was hard to tell whether he was asleep or awake, because he breathed like most people snore.
When a library disappears, or a book shop closes down, when a book is consigned to oblivion, those of us who know this place, its guardians, make sure that it gets here. In this place, books no longer remembered by anyone, books that are lost in time, live forever, waiting for the day when they will reach a new reader's hands. In the shop we buy and sell them, but in truth books have no owner. Every book you see here has been someone's best friend. Now they have only us, Daniel.
"[W]e exist as long as somebody remembers us."

"Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges for a sprawling magic show." --The New York Times Book Review

A New York Times Bestseller

Barcelona, 1945: A city slowly heals in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War, and Daniel, an antiquarian book dealer’s son who mourns the loss of his mother, finds solace in a mysterious book entitled The Shadow of the Wind, by one Julián Carax. But when he sets out to find the author’s other works, he makes a shocking discovery: someone has been systematically destroying every copy of every book Carax has written. In fact, Daniel may have the last of Carax’s books in existence. Soon Daniel’s seemingly innocent quest opens a door into one of Barcelona’s darkest secrets--an epic story of murder, madness, and doomed love.

“ Anyone who enjoys novels that are scary, erotic, touching, tragic and thrilling should rush right out to the nearest bookstore and pick up The Shadow of the Wind. Really, you should.” --Michael Dirda, The Washington Post

"Wonderous... masterful... The Shadow of the Wind is ultimately a love letter to literature, intended for readers as passionate about storytelling as its young hero." --Entertainment Weekly (Editor's Choice)

"One gorgeous read." --Stephen King

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:43 -0400)

A boy named Daniel selects a novel from a library of rare books, enjoying it so much that he searches for the rest of the author's works, only to discover that someone is destroying every book the author has ever written.

4 2021

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,705,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible