The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz…

The Shadow of the Wind (original 2001; edition 2005)

by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, Lucia Graves (Translator)

Member:amyreese
Title:The Shadow of the Wind
Authors:Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Other authors:Lucia Graves (Translator)
Info:Penguin Books (2005), Paperback, 487 pages
Rating:*****

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (2001)

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (phoenix7g, orange_epsilon)
    orange_epsilon: Prequel to The Shadow of the Wind set in Barcelona in the 1920s and 1930s. If you enjoyed the first one, you should give this one a try.
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (robynlinden, GodOfTheAnthill)
    GodOfTheAnthill: Both mystery novels with a similar tone and atmosphere
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (rmjp518, starfishian, elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both centre around books/literature, both are eloquently written, both have an element of mystery
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (derelicious)
    The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (guurtjesboekenkast)
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (susiesharp, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Dumas Club by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (jhedlund, phoenix7g, Cecilturtle)
    phoenix7g: Mystery and books.
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: If you want to read more (and better!) about the love of books and reading
    The Little Book by Selden Edwards (Othemts)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (missmaddie)
    The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: The mystery contained in a book is at the heart of both these thrillers.
    Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although they have very different settings (1950s Spain in Shadow of the Wind and modern San Francisco in Mr. Penumbra's), these adventure stories, with underpinnings of romance, offer unique perspectives on the role of books and reading in our lives.… (more)
    The Book on Fire by Keith Miller (infiniteletters)
    A Small Death in Lisbon by Robert Wilson (ehines)
    Soldiers of Salamis by Javier Cercas (caflores)
    The Calligrapher's Secret by Rafik Schami (spiphany)
    Stoner by John Williams (vivas)
    vivas: Libro excepcional,escrito de forma sencilla,culta y facil de entender
    City of Marvels by Eduardo Mendoza (caflores)
    Night Film by Marisha Pessl (Sammiwithani)
    The Magus by John Fowles (ainsleytewce)

English (655)  Dutch (28)  Spanish (24)  French (17)  Italian (15)  German (11)  Catalan (7)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Swedish (4)  Finnish (4)  Portuguese (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (775)
The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

3.5 stars

No one writes melodrama like the Spanish. I think this book may rank up there with the top melodramas of all time.
It is a many layered book of stories within stories. The book begins with the young Daniel Sempere and his discovery of a book called The Shadow of the Wind. Daniel develops an obsession for the book and its author, Julian Carax. Someone is burning all the books written by Julian Carax. As Daniel attempts to unravel the mystery he is drawn into the tragic life of this obscure author.
Tragedy piles on tragedy as each character relates the depressing details of wasted lives. Daniel finds his happiness and his safety endangered by his quest for answers. There are moments of comic relief in the character of Fermin Romero de Torres. (Every time I heard this name pronounced on the audio, I thought of “My name is Inigo Montoya” from the Princess Bride. The characters are very similar.) If it hadn’t been for Fermin, I think I would have given up half-way through.
I listened to this book as well as reading it. The narrator was very good. Hearing it read with correct pronunciation helped me to keep track of all the characters and locations. Reading helped me sort out the multiple plot lines. The writing is lush, the character development is good and there is a redemptive, optimistic ending. I can understand the rave reviews this book has gotten from others. It’s possible that I’ve just had enough melodrama in my own life that I didn’t need more.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
READ IN DUTCH

What a wonderful story it was! How I enjoyed reading it. (I feel a little bit ashamed to confess that this particular book has been on my to read list for years and has even been on my bookshelf for almost a year). Why? I can’t remember what held me from reading it. I would recommend it to everyone, even if you – like me – don’t have any knowledge about Spain of Barcelona whatsoever. It was simply a wonderful story, told by a really good storyteller.
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
WOW! Carlos Ruiz Zafón's The Shadow of the Wind drew me in and didn't let me go until the final word was spoken. I "read" this book with my ears (as I often do); I feel the audiobook's stellar narrator, Jonathan Davis, added a great deal to the a.m.a.z.i.n.g storyline - I was totally immersed and felt a considerable level of regret as the end of the book drew near - letting go isn't always easy. This 565-page book was, for me, a TOME. Due to my dwindling ability to "follow along" (as I age) I tend to avoid BIG books . . I'm so very VERY glad I made an exception for this one. Most highly recommended . . you won't be sorry!! ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
The book gets two stars for being about books. I like books. I didn't care for the people surrounding the books though, and the plot was pretty thin. ( )
  mummimamma | Apr 20, 2016 |
I can't remember the last time I cried this much while reading.
What I can promise you is that, this story is big. Like the main character - Daniel, you will slowly unravel secret after secret, which are all parts of a bigger puzzle. I was expecting a story about books, but it was so much more. You get to experience a true adventure, reading through this story. You'll get to know so many interesting characters, who will be hard to let go off. I was really surprised by the complexity of this story. If you still haven't picked it up, you should. It's amazing. ( )
1 vote zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |
It's lowdown and lazy, but here goes: ''Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges'' for a sprawling magic show, exasperatingly tricky and mostly wonderful, by the Spanish novelist Carlos Ruiz Zafón. The three illustrious meeters must surely have been drinking and they weave about a little, but steady remarkably as the pages go by.

Als een boekverkoper zijn tienjarige zoon meeneemt naar het paleisachtige, geheimzinnige Kerkhof der Vergeten Boeken, raakt Daniel betoverd door De schaduw van de wind. Hij neemt zich voor achter de identiteit van de schrijver Julian Carax te komen. Sterker nog: hij lijkt het leven van deze mysterieuze man te gaan leven. Tegen de achtergrond van het Barcelona van de Burgeroorlog en Franco ontrolt zich een fascinerend verhaal, of feitelijk vele verhalen over figuren die zich in de nabijheid van Carax ophielden én mensen rondom Daniel. De structuur van het verhaal is als een Russische pop, die eindeloos veel kleinere poppen in zich heeft verstopt. Carlos Ruiz Zafon (1964) heeft een fantasierijke, knappe roman geschreven vol avontuur, spanning, en liefde, die je in één adem uitleest. Zijn taalgebruik is prachtig, zijn belezenheid groot en de vertaling is vloeiend. Velen zullen van deze onderhoudende, intelligente roman genieten.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, Fieke Nugteren

The Shadow of the Wind is a dream date for those who love books.... For fans of Jorge Luis Borges, Umberto Eco and other writers who craft twisting and turning plots with complex characterization, The Shadow of the Wind is not to be missed.

Ruiz Zafón, Carlosprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Geel, NellekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graves, LuciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Härkönen, TarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sezzi, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

For Joan Ramón Planas,
who deserves better
I still remember the day my father took me to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books for the first time.
Sometimes what matters isn't what one gives but what one gives up.

Paris requires more than two days. It won't listen to reason.

Age — the price we all must pay.

Army, Marriage, the Church, and Banking: the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse.
"Every book, every volume you see here has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it."
His mouth was glued to a half-smoked cigar that seemed to grow out of his mustache. It was hard to tell whether he was asleep or awake, because he breathed like most people snore.
When a library disappears, or a book shop closes down, when a book is consigned to oblivion, those of us who know this place, its guardians, make sure that it gets here. In this place, books no longer remembered by anyone, books that are lost in time, live forever, waiting for the day when they will reach a new reader's hands. In the shop we buy and sell them, but in truth books have no owner. Every book you see here has been someone's best friend. Now they have only us, Daniel.
"[W]e exist as long as somebody remembers us."

"Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges for a sprawling magic show." --The New York Times Book Review

A New York Times Bestseller

Barcelona, 1945: A city slowly heals in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War, and Daniel, an antiquarian book dealer’s son who mourns the loss of his mother, finds solace in a mysterious book entitled The Shadow of the Wind, by one Julián Carax. But when he sets out to find the author’s other works, he makes a shocking discovery: someone has been systematically destroying every copy of every book Carax has written. In fact, Daniel may have the last of Carax’s books in existence. Soon Daniel’s seemingly innocent quest opens a door into one of Barcelona’s darkest secrets--an epic story of murder, madness, and doomed love.

“ Anyone who enjoys novels that are scary, erotic, touching, tragic and thrilling should rush right out to the nearest bookstore and pick up The Shadow of the Wind. Really, you should.” --Michael Dirda, The Washington Post

"Wonderous... masterful... The Shadow of the Wind is ultimately a love letter to literature, intended for readers as passionate about storytelling as its young hero." --Entertainment Weekly (Editor's Choice)

"One gorgeous read." --Stephen King

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:43 -0400)

A boy named Daniel selects a novel from a library of rare books, enjoying it so much that he searches for the rest of the author's works, only to discover that someone is destroying every book the author has ever written.

4 2093

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,941,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible