The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz…

The Shadow of the Wind (original 2001; edition 2005)

by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, Lucia Graves (Translator)

Member:amyreese
Title:The Shadow of the Wind
Authors:Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Other authors:Lucia Graves (Translator)
Info:Penguin Books (2005), Paperback, 487 pages
Rating:*****

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (2001)

Recently added byOsanna, private library, AdemilsonM, kmluer, polarbear123, KirSio, thebigidea
    The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (phoenix7g, orange_epsilon)
    orange_epsilon: Prequel to The Shadow of the Wind set in Barcelona in the 1920s and 1930s. If you enjoyed the first one, you should give this one a try.
    The Thirteenth Tale: A Novel by Diane Setterfield (rmjp518, starfishian, elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both centre around books/literature, both are eloquently written, both have an element of mystery
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (robynlinden, GodOfTheAnthill)
    GodOfTheAnthill: Both mystery novels with a similar tone and atmosphere
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (derelicious)
    The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (guurtjesboekenkast)
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (susiesharp, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Dumas Club by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (jhedlund, phoenix7g, Cecilturtle)
    phoenix7g: Mystery and books.
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: If you want to read more (and better!) about the love of books and reading
    The Little Book by Selden Edwards (Othemts)
    A Small Death in Lisbon by Robert Wilson (ehines)
    The Book on Fire by Keith Miller (infiniteletters)
    Soldiers of Salamis by Javier Cercas (caflores)
    City of Marvels by Eduardo Mendoza (caflores)
    Stoner by John Williams (vivas)
    vivas: Libro excepcional,escrito de forma sencilla,culta y facil de entender
    The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: The mystery contained in a book is at the heart of both these thrillers.
    The Calligrapher's Secret by Rafik Schami (spiphany)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (missmaddie)
    Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although they have very different settings (1950s Spain in Shadow of the Wind and modern San Francisco in Mr. Penumbra's), these adventure stories, with underpinnings of romance, offer unique perspectives on the role of books and reading in our lives.… (more)
    Gentlemen of the Road: A Tale of Adventure by Michael Chabon (Limelite)
    Limelite: Intrepid hero also faces life's perils in the company of wiseacre sidekick possessed of superior talents.
    Ghostwritten by David Mitchell (derelicious)

English (621)  Dutch (27)  Spanish (24)  French (17)  Italian (14)  German (11)  Catalan (7)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Swedish (4)  Finnish (4)  Portuguese (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (739)
I read this book on and off for about a month - not because it was bad but because this was a book to be savored. The translation was absolutely beautiful and suited the very Gothic tone of the novel. ( )
  wisemetis | Aug 28, 2015 |
I like books about books and that's how this one starts. A ten year old boy visits the Cemetery of Lost Books and makes a selection. This author was recommended in a GoodReads newsletter about international literature. The author is Spanish and the setting is Barcelona between 1910 and 1955. The book involves a mystery, a sadistic villian, several romances, a bit of Spanish history, a love of books, beautiful writing and much more. I am always amazed how a translation from a foreign language to English can be so beautiful. Would someone reading it in the original Spanish consider it as poetic as I did? What kind of liberties does the translator have in his/her work? Highly recommended! ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
This was a re-read for book club. I enjoyed it as much or more than I did the first time. The language is so beautiful. I used numerous post-it notes to mark quotations. In the story, the main character describes a book as being like the Russian doll that you open up and find another and then another and then another. That describes this novel. There are so many layers of suspense and intrigue and how the author pulls them all together is truly amazing. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
"I still remember the day my father took me to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books for the first time."

No bookworm worth his salt is going to be able to put down a book that starts like this. And this opening line is an accurate indicator of what the reader is in store for in the rest of this book: Intrigue, irresistible plot twists, subtle and beautiful language.

The story begins in Barcelona in 1945, shortly after the end of the Spanish Civil War. The narrator, 10 year old Daniel Sempere, finds the last remaining copy of The Shadow of the Wind by Julian Carax, the mystery of both book and author will end up being a dangerous obsession and life-changing quest for Daniel is the years to come.

This book tells two stories; that of Daniel Sempere, which is being told forward, and that of Julian Carax, which is being told backwards as Daniel discovers more and more of Julian's life and history. The convergence of the two stories is explosive, unexpected, and absolutely satisfying.

The characters, the setting in Barcelona, the history of the region, and the author's language all make this a book you'll want to savor and take your time with, but the twists and turns and revelations in the story make it impossible to take it slow... And impossible to put down! ( )
1 vote bkwurm | Aug 16, 2015 |
I had extremely high expectations for this book since so many people speak so highly of it. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. It just didn't grab me or touch me in the way that it has so many others.
The language is beautiful & there are so many metaphors that I read a few times just to hear them in my head again because they are so eloquently written.
I thoroughly enjoyed Fermin as a character. I can't say that that I was invested in the fate of any of the other characters.
So basically, I finished reading it because the language is lovely & I wanted to find out what happens to Fermin. ( )
  PiperUp | Aug 14, 2015 |
It's lowdown and lazy, but here goes: ''Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges'' for a sprawling magic show, exasperatingly tricky and mostly wonderful, by the Spanish novelist Carlos Ruiz Zafón. The three illustrious meeters must surely have been drinking and they weave about a little, but steady remarkably as the pages go by.

Als een boekverkoper zijn tienjarige zoon meeneemt naar het paleisachtige, geheimzinnige Kerkhof der Vergeten Boeken, raakt Daniel betoverd door De schaduw van de wind. Hij neemt zich voor achter de identiteit van de schrijver Julian Carax te komen. Sterker nog: hij lijkt het leven van deze mysterieuze man te gaan leven. Tegen de achtergrond van het Barcelona van de Burgeroorlog en Franco ontrolt zich een fascinerend verhaal, of feitelijk vele verhalen over figuren die zich in de nabijheid van Carax ophielden én mensen rondom Daniel. De structuur van het verhaal is als een Russische pop, die eindeloos veel kleinere poppen in zich heeft verstopt. Carlos Ruiz Zafon (1964) heeft een fantasierijke, knappe roman geschreven vol avontuur, spanning, en liefde, die je in één adem uitleest. Zijn taalgebruik is prachtig, zijn belezenheid groot en de vertaling is vloeiend. Velen zullen van deze onderhoudende, intelligente roman genieten.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, Fieke Nugteren

The Shadow of the Wind is a dream date for those who love books.... For fans of Jorge Luis Borges, Umberto Eco and other writers who craft twisting and turning plots with complex characterization, The Shadow of the Wind is not to be missed.

Ruiz Zafón, Carlosprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Geel, NellekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graves, LuciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Härkönen, TarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sezzi, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

For Joan Ramón Planas,
who deserves better
Sometimes what matters isn't what one gives but what one gives up.

Paris requires more than two days. It won't listen to reason.

Age — the price we all must pay.

Army, Marriage, the Church, and Banking: the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse.
"Every book, every volume you see here has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it."
His mouth was glued to a half-smoked cigar that seemed to grow out of his mustache. It was hard to tell whether he was asleep or awake, because he breathed like most people snore.
When a library disappears, or a book shop closes down, when a book is consigned to oblivion, those of us who know this place, its guardians, make sure that it gets here. In this place, books no longer remembered by anyone, books that are lost in time, live forever, waiting for the day when they will reach a new reader's hands. In the shop we buy and sell them, but in truth books have no owner. Every book you see here has been someone's best friend. Now they have only us, Daniel.
"[W]e exist as long as somebody remembers us."

"Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges for a sprawling magic show." --The New York Times Book Review

A New York Times Bestseller

Barcelona, 1945: A city slowly heals in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War, and Daniel, an antiquarian book dealer’s son who mourns the loss of his mother, finds solace in a mysterious book entitled The Shadow of the Wind, by one Julián Carax. But when he sets out to find the author’s other works, he makes a shocking discovery: someone has been systematically destroying every copy of every book Carax has written. In fact, Daniel may have the last of Carax’s books in existence. Soon Daniel’s seemingly innocent quest opens a door into one of Barcelona’s darkest secrets--an epic story of murder, madness, and doomed love.

“ Anyone who enjoys novels that are scary, erotic, touching, tragic and thrilling should rush right out to the nearest bookstore and pick up The Shadow of the Wind. Really, you should.” --Michael Dirda, The Washington Post

"Wonderous... masterful... The Shadow of the Wind is ultimately a love letter to literature, intended for readers as passionate about storytelling as its young hero." --Entertainment Weekly (Editor's Choice)

"One gorgeous read." --Stephen King

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:43 -0400)

A boy named Daniel selects a novel from a library of rare books, enjoying it so much that he searches for the rest of the author's works, only to discover that someone is destroying every book the author has ever written.

4 2011

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,140,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible