The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz…

The Shadow of the Wind (original 2002; edition 2005)

by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, Lucia Graves (Translator)

Member:amyreese
Title:The Shadow of the Wind
Authors:Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Other authors:Lucia Graves (Translator)
Info:Penguin Books (2005), Paperback, 487 pages
Rating:*****

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (2002)

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (phoenix7g, orange_epsilon)
    orange_epsilon: Prequel to The Shadow of the Wind set in Barcelona in the 1920s and 1930s. If you enjoyed the first one, you should give this one a try.
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (rmjp518, starfishian, elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both centre around books/literature, both are eloquently written, both have an element of mystery
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (robynlinden, GodOfTheAnthill)
    GodOfTheAnthill: Both mystery novels with a similar tone and atmosphere
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (derelicious)
    The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (guurtjesboekenkast)
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (susiesharp, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Dumas Club by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (jhedlund, phoenix7g, Cecilturtle)
    phoenix7g: Mystery and books.
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: If you want to read more (and better!) about the love of books and reading
    The Little Book by Selden Edwards (Othemts)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (missmaddie)
    Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Although they have very different settings (1950s Spain in Shadow of the Wind and modern San Francisco in Mr. Penumbra's), these adventure stories, with underpinnings of romance, offer unique perspectives on the role of books and reading in our lives.… (more)
    The Book on Fire by Keith Miller (infiniteletters)
    The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: The mystery contained in a book is at the heart of both these thrillers.
    A Small Death in Lisbon by Robert Wilson (ehines)
    Stoner by John Edward Williams (vivas)
    vivas: Libro excepcional,escrito de forma sencilla,culta y facil de entender
    Night Film by Marisha Pessl (Sammiwithani)
    The Calligrapher's Secret by Rafik Schami (spiphany)
    Soldiers of Salamis by Javier Cercas (caflores)
    City of Marvels by Eduardo Mendoza (caflores)
    The Book of Flying by Keith Miller (MyriadBooks)

English (674)  Dutch (28)  Spanish (26)  French (17)  Italian (15)  German (11)  Catalan (7)  All (4)  Swedish (4)  Finnish (4)  Portuguese (2)  Danish (2)  All (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (796)
This was a good book. Three stars means 'good' in my complex rating system. However it somehow gave the impression that it had pretensions to be a great novel and it fell short. The ingredients seemed right but what came out the oven you wouldn't serve to your friends. I almost gave up half way through but was ultimately glad I finished it as it got better. Evocative descriptions of Barcelona. ( )
  Lord_Boris | Feb 21, 2017 |
An engrossing novel, full of mystery that keeps you involved right to the end as to its outcome. “The shadow of the wind” is a blend of gothic novel and crime with the added spice of a cast of contrasting characters. As young David Sempere become intrigued by the writing of Julian Carax and tries to discover his identity and fate, it is as if his own life is mirroring that of his quest.
Twists and turns abound in the book, set in Barcelona from 1945 to 1955 with an intriguing background of the recent Civil War to heighten the tension. The book also examines the power of the written word and charts the growth through David’s teenage years to adulthood. Through all, the writing and mood, grips the reader and leads to a thrilling and satisfying finale.
  camharlow2 | Jan 26, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this novel. It had a slow start, but it made up for it with the depth of character and story that followed. It is dark and very reminiscent of an old victorian mystery. I loved seeing Barcelona through this book and would recommend this to others! ( )
  ceciliachard | Jan 17, 2017 |
I expected to like this book more, and certainly the mystery was engaging, but it was far too long, and the expository dumps revealing the mystery were irritating. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
By the end of the third page I knew I was doomed to like this book! The author’s bewitching language (through its eloquent English translation) lays out a swirling mystery stemming from the impact of a book on the protagonist – the type of story line that will never fail to interest me. I’m always looking for stories that stay with me for years after I’ve read the last word, and while The Shadow of the Wind is not one of those stories, I enjoyed reading about how books affected the lives of each character.

I often had an idea of where the story was going, but usually not too far in advance. The plot lines seemed to intertwine nicely, and I wasn’t disappointed by the ending. I also liked how the author balanced his tragically human characters with the ability to distinguish good versus evil. I never hated myself for feeling a certain way about a character (which does not necessarily make a book bad, I just don’t prefer it), and I could connect with all of the characters in some way.

All of that aside, I would live in The Cemetery of Forgotten Books in a second! I really love the idea that as an impactful book leaves an imprint on its readers, the readers also leave an imprint on that book, giving each story a rich and complex existence that should not be forgotten. ( )
1 vote a.leenlu | Dec 28, 2016 |
It's lowdown and lazy, but here goes: ''Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges'' for a sprawling magic show, exasperatingly tricky and mostly wonderful, by the Spanish novelist Carlos Ruiz Zafón. The three illustrious meeters must surely have been drinking and they weave about a little, but steady remarkably as the pages go by.

Als een boekverkoper zijn tienjarige zoon meeneemt naar het paleisachtige, geheimzinnige Kerkhof der Vergeten Boeken, raakt Daniel betoverd door De schaduw van de wind. Hij neemt zich voor achter de identiteit van de schrijver Julian Carax te komen. Sterker nog: hij lijkt het leven van deze mysterieuze man te gaan leven. Tegen de achtergrond van het Barcelona van de Burgeroorlog en Franco ontrolt zich een fascinerend verhaal, of feitelijk vele verhalen over figuren die zich in de nabijheid van Carax ophielden én mensen rondom Daniel. De structuur van het verhaal is als een Russische pop, die eindeloos veel kleinere poppen in zich heeft verstopt. Carlos Ruiz Zafon (1964) heeft een fantasierijke, knappe roman geschreven vol avontuur, spanning, en liefde, die je in één adem uitleest. Zijn taalgebruik is prachtig, zijn belezenheid groot en de vertaling is vloeiend. Velen zullen van deze onderhoudende, intelligente roman genieten.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, Fieke Nugteren

The Shadow of the Wind is a dream date for those who love books.... For fans of Jorge Luis Borges, Umberto Eco and other writers who craft twisting and turning plots with complex characterization, The Shadow of the Wind is not to be missed.

Ruiz Zafón, Carlosprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Geel, NellekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graves, LuciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Härkönen, TarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schwaar, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sezzi, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

"Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges for a sprawling magic show." --The New York Times Book Review

A New York Times Bestseller

Barcelona, 1945: A city slowly heals in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War, and Daniel, an antiquarian book dealer’s son who mourns the loss of his mother, finds solace in a mysterious book entitled The Shadow of the Wind, by one Julián Carax. But when he sets out to find the author’s other works, he makes a shocking discovery: someone has been systematically destroying every copy of every book Carax has written. In fact, Daniel may have the last of Carax’s books in existence. Soon Daniel’s seemingly innocent quest opens a door into one of Barcelona’s darkest secrets--an epic story of murder, madness, and doomed love.

“ Anyone who enjoys novels that are scary, erotic, touching, tragic and thrilling should rush right out to the nearest bookstore and pick up The Shadow of the Wind. Really, you should.” --Michael Dirda, The Washington Post

"Wonderous... masterful... The Shadow of the Wind is ultimately a love letter to literature, intended for readers as passionate about storytelling as its young hero." --Entertainment Weekly (Editor's Choice)

"One gorgeous read." --Stephen King

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:43 -0400)

A boy named Daniel selects a novel from a library of rare books, enjoying it so much that he searches for the rest of the author's works, only to discover that someone is destroying every book the author has ever written.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,261,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible