The Shadow Of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

The Shadow Of The Wind (original 2001; edition 2005)

by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Lucia Graves (Translator)

Member:TigerBeast79
Title:The Shadow Of The Wind
Authors:Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Other authors:Lucia Graves (Translator)
Info:Phoenix (2005), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 528 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (2001)

Recently added byGerca, cebellol, BCTG, private library, leighuva, dmhauser, brbadore, palmyralibrary, Pigletto, andersongs
21st century (65) Barcelona (812) book club (78) books (407) books about books (257) fiction (1,873) gothic (140) historical (91) historical fiction (340) libraries (70) library (57) literature (166) love (101) magical realism (132) mystery (852) novel (296) own (84) read (214) Roman (160) romance (99) Spain (874) Spanish (261) Spanish Civil War (116) Spanish Fiction (58) Spanish literature (208) suspense (118) thriller (128) to-read (353) translation (105) unread (81)
    The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (phoenix7g, orange_epsilon)
    orange_epsilon: Prequel to The Shadow of the Wind set in Barcelona in the 1920s and 1930s. If you enjoyed the first one, you should give this one a try.
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (robynlinden, GodOfTheAnthill)
    GodOfTheAnthill: Both mystery novels with a similar tone and atmosphere
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (rmjp518, starfishian, elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both centre around books/literature, both are eloquently written, both have an element of mystery
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (derelicious)
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (susiesharp, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (guurtjesboekenkast)
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: If you want to read more (and better!) about the love of books and reading
    The Dumas Club by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (jhedlund, phoenix7g, Cecilturtle, TAir)
    phoenix7g: Mystery and books.
    The Little Book by Selden Edwards (Othemts)
    A Small Death in Lisbon by Robert Wilson (ehines)
    The Book on Fire by Keith Miller (infiniteletters)
    Stoner by John Williams (vivas)
    vivas: Libro excepcional,escrito de forma sencilla,culta y facil de entender
    The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: The mystery contained in a book is at the heart of both these thrillers.
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (missmaddie)
    City of Marvels by Eduardo Mendoza (caflores)
    Soldiers of Salamis by Javier Cercas (caflores)
    The Calligrapher's Secret by Rafik Schami (spiphany)
    Ghostwritten by David Mitchell (derelicious)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (roby72)
    The Book of Flying by Keith Miller (MyriadBooks)

English (576)  Dutch (26)  Spanish (23)  French (17)  Italian (14)  German (10)  Catalan (7)  Portuguese (Portugal) (4)  Swedish (4)  Finnish (4)  Portuguese (2)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (691)
I’ve heard almost exclusively good things about The Shadow of the Wind. I’ve loved all of the other translated fiction I’ve read, and I love books about books. Objectively, this book was perfect for me. For some reason, though, I just didn’t connect with it. I did sometimes find the prose really beautiful and the loving descriptions of books and secret libraries made my book-loving self very happy. I also liked that the conversations followed a distinctly different pattern than what I’m used to. I felt like I was getting a glimpse of Spanish culture. However, the main character is essentially swept up in someone else’s story. I felt he had very little agency. There were clearly intended to be parallels between his life and that of the man whose life he enters, but I thought the connections were superficial. I ended the book wishing there had been something more.

This review first published at Doing Dewey. ( )
  DoingDewey | Jul 20, 2014 |
Read during Spring 2006

This has been a very slow reading year and I think it took about 2 months to read this but it was well worth it. I'm sure I will try to read it again because I lost some of the depth and complexity by picking it up and putting it down again too many times, it deserves one night long read until your eyes are red and your back is sore. Although it is translated, I still want to describe it as wonderfully written, perhaps it is an excellent translation. I love how Barcelona seems like a city I know. I love the love of books, the old bookshops and the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. The characters, that are real and frustrating and charming. It's something of a literary mystery and it has the thriller and chases and intrigue but the plot is more than whodonit. It shifts back and forth in time but I never lost the thread of it. Worthy of all the praise on the covers.
  amyem58 | Jul 14, 2014 |
Love the way the book spirals off into the life of any (every) character that appears. Just like everyone you meet has a history and a story. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
Wonderful book with complex story line that keeps you guessing. Lots of characters, and multiple story lines to follow. I'm looking for more books from this author. ( )
  Pmaurer | Jun 9, 2014 |
The best book I've ever read! Am re-reading for the fourth time now and still I find new nuggets of prose to wonder at. ( )
  wendycartmell | Jun 8, 2014 |
It's lowdown and lazy, but here goes: ''Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges'' for a sprawling magic show, exasperatingly tricky and mostly wonderful, by the Spanish novelist Carlos Ruiz Zafón. The three illustrious meeters must surely have been drinking and they weave about a little, but steady remarkably as the pages go by.

The Shadow of the Wind is a dream date for those who love books.... For fans of Jorge Luis Borges, Umberto Eco and other writers who craft twisting and turning plots with complex characterization, The Shadow of the Wind is not to be missed.

Ruiz Zafón, Carlosprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sezzi, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

For Joan Ramón Planas,
who deserves better
I still remember the day my father took me to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books for the first time.
Sometimes what matters isn't what one gives but what one gives up.

Paris requires more than two days. It won't listen to reason.

Age -- the price we all must pay.

Army, Marriage, the Church, and Banking: the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse.
"Every book, every volume you see here has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it."
His mouth was glued to a half-smoked cigar that seemed to grow out of his mustache. It was hard to tell whether he was asleep or awake, because he breathed like most people snore.
When a library disappears, or a book shop closes down, when a book is cosigned to oblivion, those of us who know this place, its guardians, make sure that it gets here. In this place, books no longer remembered by anyone, books that are lost in time, live forever, waiting for the day when they will reach a new reader's hands. In the shop we buy and sell them, but in truth books have no owner. Every book you see here has been someone's best friend. Now they have only us, Daniel.
"[W]e exist as long as somebody remembers us."

"Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges for a sprawling magic show." --The New York Times Book Review

A New York Times Bestseller

Barcelona, 1945: A city slowly heals in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War, and Daniel, an antiquarian book dealer’s son who mourns the loss of his mother, finds solace in a mysterious book entitled The Shadow of the Wind, by one Julián Carax. But when he sets out to find the author’s other works, he makes a shocking discovery: someone has been systematically destroying every copy of every book Carax has written. In fact, Daniel may have the last of Carax’s books in existence. Soon Daniel’s seemingly innocent quest opens a door into one of Barcelona’s darkest secrets--an epic story of murder, madness, and doomed love.

“ Anyone who enjoys novels that are scary, erotic, touching, tragic and thrilling should rush right out to the nearest bookstore and pick up The Shadow of the Wind. Really, you should.” --Michael Dirda, The Washington Post

"Wonderous... masterful... The Shadow of the Wind is ultimately a love letter to literature, intended for readers as passionate about storytelling as its young hero." --Entertainment Weekly (Editor's Choice)

"One gorgeous read." --Stephen King

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:39 -0400)

A boy named Daniel selects a novel from a library of rare books, enjoying it so much that he searches for the rest of the author's works, only to discover that someone is destroying every book the author has ever written.

4 1928

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,485,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible