The Shadow Of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

The Shadow Of The Wind (original 2001; edition 2005)

by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Lucia Graves (Translator)

17,842None95 (4.12)936
Member:TigerBeast79
Title:The Shadow Of The Wind
Authors:Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Other authors:Lucia Graves (Translator)
Info:Phoenix (2005), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 528 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (2001)

21st century (63) Barcelona (806) book club (77) books (399) books about books (252) fiction (1,857) gothic (136) historical (90) historical fiction (327) libraries (69) library (56) literature (165) love (101) magical realism (126) mystery (844) novel (292) own (81) read (213) Roman (160) romance (97) Spain (867) Spanish (259) Spanish Civil War (114) Spanish Fiction (58) Spanish literature (198) suspense (115) thriller (122) to-read (325) translation (104) unread (80)
    The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (phoenix7g, orange_epsilon)
    orange_epsilon: Prequel to The Shadow of the Wind set in Barcelona in the 1920s and 1930s. If you enjoyed the first one, you should give this one a try.
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (rmjp518, starfishian, elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both centre around books/literature, both are eloquently written, both have an element of mystery
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (robynlinden, GodOfTheAnthill)
    GodOfTheAnthill: Both mystery novels with a similar tone and atmosphere
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (derelicious)
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (susiesharp, BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (guurtjesboekenkast)
    The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: If you want to read more (and better!) about the love of books and reading
    The Little Book by Selden Edwards (Othemts)
    The Dumas Club by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (jhedlund, phoenix7g, Cecilturtle, TAir)
    phoenix7g: Mystery and books.
    A Small Death in Lisbon by Robert Wilson (ehines)
    The Book on Fire by Keith Miller (infiniteletters)
    Stoner by John Williams (vivas)
    vivas: Libro excepcional,escrito de forma sencilla,culta y facil de entender
    The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell (sweetiegherkin)
    sweetiegherkin: The mystery contained in a book is at the heart of both these thrillers.
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (missmaddie)
    City of Marvels by Eduardo Mendoza (caflores)
    Soldiers of Salamis by Javier Cercas (caflores)
    The Calligrapher's Secret by Rafik Schami (spiphany)
    Ghostwritten by David Mitchell (derelicious)
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (roby72)
    The Book of Flying by Keith Miller (MyriadBooks)

English (560)  Dutch (26)  Spanish (23)  French (17)  Italian (14)  German (10)  Catalan (7)  Finnish (4)  Swedish (4)  Portuguese (Portugal) (3)  Danish (2)  Portuguese (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (674)
Definitely a gothic soap opera. I was impatient with it being long and drawn out.
As Daniel says, "The abridged version, Fermin, for goodness' sake." :D

I could have been happy with Nuria's manuscript at the end, which I loved.
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
As Daniel says, "The abridged version, Fermin, for goodness' sake." :D

I could have been happy with Nuria's manuscript at the end, which I loved.
  FAR2MANYBOOKS | Apr 5, 2014 |
I love this book! ( )
  AmyKite | Apr 2, 2014 |
I was drawn to this because it is a book about books and lovers of books. It is a hard to put down mystery following Daniel, who comes upon a little known book written by a shadowy author with a very daunting history.
This book has mystery, action, fights, love stories and tragedy. It took me only a few days to finish, because I couldn't put it down. ( )
  saradiann | Mar 30, 2014 |
This is the best book I've read yet this year (2014) and I thank my LibraryThing Secret Santa elves for selecting it for me. I can hardly wait to get my hands on the prequel and sequel to this marvelous story -– a sort of Umberto Eco meets, Borges and they do J.K. Rowling their way -- by the remarkable Carlos Ruiz Zafón.

What a novel! This book was so good that I rationed myself to one or two short chapters twice a day in order to prolong the ecstasy of living in my imagination within the dark and twisting streets of 1950s Barcelona. "The Shadow of the Wind" is ultimate escapist fiction. Ultimate magical realism. Ultimate mystery. Ultimate political indictment of Franco’s Spain. Ultimate adventure.

And it's also a delightful self-referential literary novel that begins in “the cemetery of lost books” where young Daniel Sempere is allowed to select a single volume to take home. He picks LA SOMBRA DEL VIENTO by Julian Carax, a mysterious figure who haunts Daniel and whose life seems a parallel or echo of his own. With the book in his possession, Daniel's imagination is captivated as he descends into it and the adventure that will last into his nascent maturity.

Zafón can weave a tale and an atmospheric spell of equal quality. Unexpected plot turns kept me in suspense and the sarcastic witty punning of the heroic Fermín Romero de Torres made me fall in love with Daniel's faithful “sidekick.” [Some readers will be reminded of "Gentlemen of the Road" by Michael Chabon.] The two worthy heroes are opposed by arch foe, Francisco Javier Fumero, a murderous and corrupt policeman, determined to make their life hell as he pursues a program of private and official revenge. The reader who is in the least bit familiar with Spanish history will recognize the symbolism of Daniel’s journey in pursuit of the free-spirited yet tragic Julian Carax as that of Spain’s history under Franco.

Fortunately for the people of Spain and we readers, both emerge from darkness to achieve a happy outcome. ( )
1 vote Limelite | Mar 9, 2014 |
It's lowdown and lazy, but here goes: ''Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges'' for a sprawling magic show, exasperatingly tricky and mostly wonderful, by the Spanish novelist Carlos Ruiz Zafón. The three illustrious meeters must surely have been drinking and they weave about a little, but steady remarkably as the pages go by.

The Shadow of the Wind is a dream date for those who love books.... For fans of Jorge Luis Borges, Umberto Eco and other writers who craft twisting and turning plots with complex characterization, The Shadow of the Wind is not to be missed.

Ruiz Zafón, Carlosprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sezzi, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

For Joan Ramón Planas,
who deserves better
I still remember the day my father took me to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books for the first time.
Sometimes what matters isn't what one gives but what one gives up.

Paris requires more than two days. It won't listen to reason.

Age -- the price we all must pay.

Army, Marriage, the Church, and Banking: the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse.
"Every book, every volume you see here has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it."
His mouth was glued to a half-smoked cigar that seemed to grow out of his mustache. It was hard to tell whether he was asleep or awake, because he breathed like most people snore.
When a library disappears, or a book shop closes down, when a book is cosigned to oblivion, those of us who know this place, its guardians, make sure that it gets here. In this place, books no longer remembered by anyone, books that are lost in time, live forever, waiting for the day when they will reach a new reader's hands. In the shop we buy and sell them, but in truth books have no owner. Every book you see here has been someone's best friend. Now they have only us, Daniel.
"[W]e exist as long as somebody remembers us."

"Gabriel García Márquez meets Umberto Eco meets Jorge Luis Borges for a sprawling magic show." --The New York Times Book Review

A New York Times Bestseller

Barcelona, 1945: A city slowly heals in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War, and Daniel, an antiquarian book dealer’s son who mourns the loss of his mother, finds solace in a mysterious book entitled The Shadow of the Wind, by one Julián Carax. But when he sets out to find the author’s other works, he makes a shocking discovery: someone has been systematically destroying every copy of every book Carax has written. In fact, Daniel may have the last of Carax’s books in existence. Soon Daniel’s seemingly innocent quest opens a door into one of Barcelona’s darkest secrets--an epic story of murder, madness, and doomed love.

“ Anyone who enjoys novels that are scary, erotic, touching, tragic and thrilling should rush right out to the nearest bookstore and pick up The Shadow of the Wind. Really, you should.” --Michael Dirda, The Washington Post

"Wonderous... masterful... The Shadow of the Wind is ultimately a love letter to literature, intended for readers as passionate about storytelling as its young hero." --Entertainment Weekly (Editor's Choice)

"One gorgeous read." --Stephen King

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:39 -0400)

A boy named Daniel selects a novel from a library of rare books, enjoying it so much that he searches for the rest of the author's works, only to discover that someone is destroying every book the author has ever written.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible