The Language of Threads: A Novel by Gail…

The Language of Threads: A Novel

by Gail Tsukiyama

Recently added byprivate library, thebigidea, 826NYC, rosecothren, MmeRose, RidgewayGirl, JillMerritt

This book is a follow-up to Women of the Silk, which I read and enjoyed several years ago.

Briefly, Women of the Silk is the story of Pei, who is a poor farmer's daughter who is sent to work in a silk factory at age 8, because her parents cannot afford to feel all of their children. She becomes part of a sisterhood of silk workers.

The Language of Threads follows Pei to Hong Kong, where she has fled the Japanese occupation, which catches up with her there.

I love this book! I was completely drawn to the characters and their world. ( )
  bookwoman247 | Oct 29, 2012 |
Did not live up to the 1st book. ( )
1 vote ChuTrandinh | Nov 24, 2011 |
Absolutely loved it. It's a sequel to [The Women of Silk]. The story continues with Pei and Ji Shen fleeing China to Hong Kong because of the Japanese occupation. There they start to build a new life for themselves. Pei's strength and resilience is put to the test many times over as she learns how to fend for herself and then look after Ji Shen in this new world, taking on new work as a laundress, a domestic helper and later on a seamstress. As the Japanese bomb Hong Kong, round up the British into POW camps in Stanley, life becomes even more difficult, with food shortages and avoiding the Japanese soldiers and Triads. But the silver lining is the silk sisters have managed to gather together once more, this time, to live together once more and pool their resources for their survival.

It's the 2nd book in a month where I've read about the cruel atrocities inflicted on their victims and it's difficult to think that those individuals are ancestors to current day Japanese, who are fun, reserved, and mostly kind and considerate.

Narratives told from the perspective of Pei, Ji Shen, Li (Pei's sister), Mrs Finch (a British employer), Song Lee (a silk sister), and a few other characters, this is a book that's hard to put down once you get started on it. ( )
5 vote cameling | Nov 21, 2010 |
Women try to survive during the Japanese invasion of China. I didn't realize this was a sequel until I was 2/3 of the way through the book. ( )
  debnance | Jan 29, 2010 |
As I look at the moon my mind goes roaming, till I live again the autumns that I knew long ago. --Saigyo
For Grace
Pei glanced down into the dark, glassy water of Hong Kong harbor and suddenly felt shy and wordless.

Readers of Women of the Silk never forgot the moving, powerful story of Pei, brought to work in the silk house as a girl, grown into a quiet but determined young woman whose life is subject to cruel twists of fate, including the loss of her closest friend, Lin. Now we finally learn what happened to Pei, as she leaves the silk house for Hong Kong in the 1930s, arriving with a young orphan, Ji Shen, in her care. Her first job, in the home of a wealthy family, ends in disgrace, but soon Pei and Ji Shen find a new life in the home of Mrs. Finch, a British ex-patriate who welcomes them as the daughters she never had. Their idyllic life is interrupted, however, by war, and the Japanese occupation. Pei is once again forced to make her own way, struggling to survive and to keep her extended family alive as well. In this story of hardship and survival, Tsukiyama paints a portrait of women fighting the forces of war and time to make a life for themselves.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:53 -0400)

After the Japanese invade China, a woman in the silk trade flees her village, taking along an orphaned "silk sister." The two find refuge in Hong Kong, only to lose everything when World War II breaks out and the Japanese come again.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,367,466 books! | Top bar: Always visible