The Last Invisible Boy by Evan Kuhlman

The Last Invisible Boy (2008)

by Evan Kuhlman

English (12)  German (1)  Japanese (1)  All (14)
Finn's father has passed away and Finn's hair begins turning white and he gets paler and paler. He talks about what life with his dad was like and what life without his dad is like. It's billed as a Wimpy Kid read-a-like but it's only a read-a-like in the respect that the writing format is kind of similar, otherwise this is a very different book. I found it very moving. There were sad parts and sweet parts and even some funny parts. I thought Finn was very honest and I think it was very realistic in that Finn doesn't know exactly what happened. I liked Finn analyzing his mother's version of how she met his dad and wondering which story was true or if they were both true. The part that will stick with me forever is when Finn tells his mother that he came downstairs to hear that story. It was such a poignant moment, even among so many others. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
I picked this up because the children's librarian mentioned it--she said it was reviewed as a Wimpy Kid read-alike, but she had her doubts. I had some time on my hands, so I told her I'd let her know.

Answer: no, not really. It's a read-alike in the strictest sense, in that there are diary entries and pictures/comics that help tell the story, but that's where the similarities end. The pictures here aren't as well-integrated into the story (though they're still very good), and the subject matter is so radically different from the Wimpy Kid books that I can't imagine handing this to a WK fan and expecting them to like it. This claims to have some funny moments, and I'll agree that it has some lighter moments, but I wouldn't really call them funny. This is about a kid grieving his dad, not an average kid going about his day-to-day hijinks. The narrator (Finn) is depressed and morose, and even his happier entries are still sad.

None of this is to say it's a bad book--it's actually really good, if what you're looking for is something sad. It's still hopeful and peaceful, but all the same, really sad.

This walks that fine line between Children's and Teen books, so I added it to both my lists. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
To my parents and sister,
with love and gratitude
-E. K.

To my mom and dad,
for their endless love and support
-J. P. C.
My name is Finn Garret and this is my book and this is my story.

In the wake of his father's sudden death, twelve-year-old Finn feels he is becoming invisible as his hair and skin become whiter by the day, and so he writes and illustrates a book to try to understand what is happening and to hold on to himself and his father.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,410,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible