The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory

The Virgin's Lover (2004)

by Philippa Gregory

Series: The Tudor Court Novels - chronological (6)

3,531None1,503 (3.48)87

This was just okay for me. I didn't really like any of the characters. Especially Dudley's wife, Amy. She irritated me so badly that I caught myself thinking that I would cheat on the crying little wimp too. Dudley was a jerk and Elizabeth wasn't really much better. I know this is historical fiction and you have to work with what you have, but surely there was some sort of redeeming quality to these people. ( )
1 vote JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |
If you are a squeeing fan of Queen Elizabeth, this is not a happy read. Good hypothesis of what the mood would be at the court of the female head of a patriarchal state.
  annmariegamble | Mar 31, 2013 |
I liked it but I didn't like how she described Elizabeth. Like she couldn't make her own desicions but needed a man to make them for her. But overall good book. ( )
  Elysianfield | Mar 31, 2013 |
This book is a Historical fiction of Queen Elizabeth I and her lover. I find that in historical fictions the names of the people get in the way. I think that this is the case with this book the beginning of this book dragged a bit while everyone was being introduced. The ending was good however and worth the read.
This audio book was from a free bin at a local book store ( )
  sallyawolf | Feb 25, 2013 |
I really enjoy her historical fiction. I think she does a great job of combining historically accurate information with great storytelling. One of my favorite authors of this genre. ( )
  deequa | May 6, 2012 |

Philippa Gregoryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Anthony
All the bells in Norfolk were ringing for Elizabeth, pounding the peal into Amy's head, first the treble bell screaming out like a mad woman, and then the whole agonizing, jangling sob till the great bell boomed a warning that the whole discordant carillon was about to shriek out again.

The National Bestseller

In the autumn of 1558, church bells across England ring out the joyous news that Elizabeth I is the new queen. One woman hears the tidings with utter dread. She is Amy Dudley, wife of Sir Robert, and she knows that Elizabeth's ambitious leap to the throne will draw her husband back to the center of the glamorous Tudor court, where he was born to be.

Elizabeth's excited triumph is short-lived. She has inherited a bankrupt country where treason is rampant and foreign war a certainty. Her faithful advisor William Cecil warns her that she will survive only if she marries a strong prince to govern the rebellious country, but the one man Elizabeth desires is her childhood friend, the ambitious Robert Dudley. As the young couple falls in love, a question hangs in the air: can he really set aside his wife and marry the queen? When Amy is found dead, Elizabeth and Dudley are suddenly plunged into a struggle for survival.

Philippa Gregory's The Virgin's Lover answers the question about an unsolved crime that has fascinated detectives and historians for centuries. Intelligent, romantic, and compelling, The Virgin's Lover presents a young woman on the brink of greatness, a young man whose ambition exceeds his means, and the wife who cannot forgive them.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:26 -0400)

A fictional portrait of the early years of the reign of Elizabeth I follows the young queen as she copes with intrigues aimed at placing Mary, Queen of Scots, on the British throne, and her passion for the traitorous Robert Dudley.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,467,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible