Where the River Ends by Charles Martin

Where the River Ends (2008)

by Charles Martin

The Mountain Between Us: A Novel by Charles Martin (nu-bibliophile)
    Bucket List, The (Nicnac63)
    Nicnac63: Where the River Ends is like: The Bucket List meets The Notebook. Great love story that races against time.
    The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks (Nicnac63)
    Nicnac63: Charles Martin's writing style is similar to Nicholas Sparks'. Both display a great love story that stands the tests of hardships and time.

English (17)  German (1)  All languages (18)
"A powerfully emotional and beautifully written story of heartbreaking loss and undying love." After ten years of wonderful marriage, Abbie faces a life-threatening illness. Her husband Doss, battles it with her every step of the way, including a bucket list of 10 things to do before she loses the fight.
  SABC | Jan 7, 2014 |
I loved the characters in this love story, Abbie and Doss, and the setting of the book in Charleston (one of my most favorite places in the world). I did not want this book to end.

p.s. Mr. Martin - I will proofread your next book for you. The typos and editing errors drove me crazy!
  emkemi23 | Aug 23, 2013 |
Synopsis: husband helps wife with metastatic cancer fulfill some of the items on her "before I die" list--including a canoe trip down a Florida river.
I wanted to like this book, since I like canoeing, but didn't find it very believable. Maybe I just don't know enough about how someone with brain metastases would act. But sometimes the husband has to help his wife wash, eat, get dressed, then other times she is walking thru the shrubs or dancing on a sandbar. This book is all about him. For most of the trip he doesn't even speak to her, & she is mentioned only as occasionally lifting her head above the gunnel, or trailing her hand in the water. So I'd recommend this only to people who want to read about a man's journey of self-discovery. Or a poke in the ribs to your male partner who isn't as devoted as you'd like. ( )
  juniperSun | Mar 11, 2011 |
“The Bucket List” meets “The Notebook”

I couldn’t put this book down. This is the sweetest story of never-ending, to the core, selfless, dedicated love. There isn’t a woman who wouldn’t want a Doss Michaels in their life.

Doss, a struggling artist who grew up in a trailer park, meets, falls in love with, and marries the senator’s daughter – Abbie Coleman. Though he knows his father-in-law does not like him and disapproves of their marriage, he doesn’t let that deter him from giving Abbie his full heart.

When health troubles arise, Doss and Abbie have choices to make—many of them illegal and (to her father) unethical. Through the ups and downs of their decisions, and consequences for each choice, their strength, love and will to survive are tested.

Abbie makes a list of ten things she hopes to do in her life. Together, she and Doss go through the checklist, racing against time, the law, and the senator’s formidable determination.

I tend to think of “Where the River Ends” as “The Bucket List” meets “The Notebook”. I laughed and cried throughout this story and didn’t want the book to end. I’ve grown to know and love the characters and feel a void now that I’ve closed the cover.

Charles Martin paints a vivid portrait of Charleston and the St. Mary’s River, making me feel as if I’ve been there. I’ve put the remaining Charles Martin books on my wish list. Great author. Great story. Great experience. ( )
  Nicnac63 | Jan 16, 2011 |
The problem with having a “bucket list” is that the final destination is death, and Abbie Coleman’s cancer is making sure she arrives at this ending. Her husband, Doss Michaels, does two things brilliantly—paints paintings and loves Abbie. Not everyone experiences this kind of love, a love that transcends illness and takes risks to ensure that the person being loved fulfills their dying wish. One item on Abbie’s bucket list and her dying wish is to travel 130 miles down St. Marys River; a journey made complicated by her powerful Senator father who has never liked Doss, and the threat of a hurricane heading toward them.

Charles Martin uses this river as a metaphor for cancer: ugly, twisting, dangerous with tiny glimpses of the fragile beauty of life. Even the way he wrote this book is jarring, not as polished as his other work, but raw and honest. Where the River Ends is a thought provoking, tug-at-your-heart voyage on the not so pretty river of life. ( )
  PamelaBarrett | Aug 29, 2010 |

Charles Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

He was a fishing guide and struggling artist from a south George trailer park. She was the beautiful only child of South Carolina’s most powerful senator. Yet once Doss Michaels and Abigail Grace Coleman met by accident, they each felt they’d found their true soul mate.

Ten years into their marriage, when Abbie faces a life-threatening illness, Doss battles it with her every step of the way. And when she makes a list of ten things she hopes to accomplish before she loses the fight for good, Doss is there, too, supporting her and making everything possible. Together they steal away in the middle of the night to embark upon a 130-mile trip down the St. Mary’s River—a voyage Doss promised Abbie in the early days of their courtship.

Where the River Ends
chronicles their love-filled, tragedy-tinged journey and a bond that transcends all.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:00 -0400)

He was a fishing guide and struggling artist from a south Georgia trailer park. She was the beautiful only child of South Carolina's most powerful senator. Yet when Doss Michaels and Abigail Grace Coleman met by accident, they each felt they'd found their true soul mate. Ten years into their marriage, when Abbie faces a life-threatening illness, Doss battles it with her every step of the way. And when she makes a list of ten things she hopes to accomplish before she loses the fight for good, Doss is there, too, supporting her and making everything possible. Together they steal away in the middle of the night to embark upon a 130-mile trip down the St. Mary's River--a voyage Doss had promised Abbie in the early days of their courtship.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,293,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible