Where the River Ends by Charles Martin

Where the River Ends (2008)

by Charles Martin

The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin (nu-bibliophile)
    The Bucket List [2007 film] by Rob Reiner (Nicnac63)
    Nicnac63: Where the River Ends is like: The Bucket List meets The Notebook. Great love story that races against time.
    The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks (Nicnac63)
    Nicnac63: Charles Martin's writing style is similar to Nicholas Sparks'. Both display a great love story that stands the tests of hardships and time.

English (20)  German (1)  All languages (21)
This is the third book I've ready by Charles Martin. While I wouldn't rate it as my favorite, it is still very well-written and emotionally gripping. I can't imagine what it's like to fight a raging disease that takes over every aspect of your life and marriage. But this book gives beautiful insight to the life of a caregiver. Doss is dedicated to his wife, Abbie, and her needs. But Doss is also human and humans are prone to err, as proven by his dinner "date" while still married to his wife. No, a secret affair never blossoms, but it does show that even caregivers need a sense of connection. Caregivers (and patients!) miss the affection, sex, physical and emotional aspects that we associate with dating and marriage.

It's a beautiful story and I'm sure you'll find it enlightening as well as thought-provoking. ( )
  caslater83 | Aug 4, 2016 |
This is a beautifully written love story. It took me a little bit to get into it since it's very narrative and light on dialogue. I listened to the audio book and I absolutely loved the way Mark Deakins read the story about Doss and Abbie. I do have to say, as a breast cancer survivor, it was a little bit of a shock by the time I was on Disc 7 of 10 to find out what kind of cancer Abbie was dying from. Her treatment flashbacks were a little hard for me to hear as they brought back memories. But this is more about her cancer, this is about the love between Doss and Abbie who come from very different backgrounds. I also loved the ending. This is a wonderful book and I think since it's more narrative, it is best to listen to the audio book. Just make sure towards the end, you are not listening while driving to work or you might have to reapply your make-up. Highly recommend this book. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Great author and storyteller - I have read all his books and one of my favorite authors! "Charles makes the characters come alive! Awesome! " ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
"A powerfully emotional and beautifully written story of heartbreaking loss and undying love." After ten years of wonderful marriage, Abbie faces a life-threatening illness. Her husband Doss, battles it with her every step of the way, including a bucket list of 10 things to do before she loses the fight.
  SABC | Jan 7, 2014 |
I loved the characters in this love story, Abbie and Doss, and the setting of the book in Charleston (one of my most favorite places in the world). I did not want this book to end.

p.s. Mr. Martin - I will proofread your next book for you. The typos and editing errors drove me crazy!
  emkemi23 | Aug 23, 2013 |

Charles Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deakins, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

He was a fishing guide and struggling artist from a south George trailer park. She was the beautiful only child of South Carolina’s most powerful senator. Yet once Doss Michaels and Abigail Grace Coleman met by accident, they each felt they’d found their true soul mate.

Ten years into their marriage, when Abbie faces a life-threatening illness, Doss battles it with her every step of the way. And when she makes a list of ten things she hopes to accomplish before she loses the fight for good, Doss is there, too, supporting her and making everything possible. Together they steal away in the middle of the night to embark upon a 130-mile trip down the St. Mary’s River—a voyage Doss promised Abbie in the early days of their courtship.

Where the River Ends
chronicles their love-filled, tragedy-tinged journey and a bond that transcends all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

He was a fishing guide and struggling artist from a south Georgia trailer park. She was the beautiful only child of South Carolina's most powerful senator. Yet when Doss Michaels and Abigail Grace Coleman met by accident, they each felt they'd found their true soul mate. Ten years into their marriage, when Abbie faces a life-threatening illness, Doss battles it with her every step of the way. And when she makes a list of ten things she hopes to accomplish before she loses the fight for good, Doss is there, too, supporting her and making everything possible. Together they steal away in the middle of the night to embark upon a 130-mile trip down the St. Mary's River--a voyage Doss had promised Abbie in the early days of their courtship.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,353,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible