The Potter's Field by Andrea Camilleri

The Potter's Field (original 2008; edition 2011)

by Andrea Camilleri

Title:The Potter's Field
Authors:Andrea Camilleri
Info:Penguin Books (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 277 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Darebin, 2000s, Italy, Sicily, Crime, 2012

The Potter's Field by Andrea Camilleri (2008)

English (11)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (18)
It has become the norm to have a Montalbano mystery begin with one of the inspector's dreams. The Potter's Field is no exception, and Montalbano's dream is a lulu. The older he gets, the more wily he becomes, and it's a joy to watch him piece together all the clues he's gathered.

The emphasis in any Montalbano mystery by Andrea Camilleri isn't exactly on the mystery. It's more of a triumvirate: the characters and their relationships to each other, a wonderful sense of humor, and a puzzle finally tracked to its source. The mystery isn't always baffling. Sometimes Camilleri allows us to solve it first so that we may sit back and watch Montalbano conduct his investigation.

The Potter's Field is another enjoyable outing with one of my favorite policemen. Montalbano not only deals with multiple investigations, he also must face a betrayal from within, and his realization of Catarella's importance in his life brought a smile to my face. Camilleri has created a setting that's filled with beauty and ugliness, with friends, with laughter, and with mouthwatering food. I look forward to each and every one of my visits there. ( )
  cathyskye | Jul 23, 2015 |
I am working my through the Inspector Montalbano mysteries. It has been a tremendous treat so far, and I have fallen into the rhythm of the writing and ther way Camilleri structures the stories. While I am still eagerly reading the mysteries, there was a sense that Camilleri was having a hard time sustaining the novels.

Until this one. This story really grabbed my attention and while staying true to the Montalbano franchise structure, the story line and the writing is much more focused and is much sharper than the last few books. This was just such a superb read that I had a moment of melancholy when I'd finally reached the last page.

The biblical reference and the was Camilleri mixed in the drama involving the recurring characters is quite a lot of fun and it definitely reinvigorated the story and the series. ( )
1 vote pw0327 | Jul 1, 2013 |
Montalbano invecchia ma non delude. ( )
  Spell.bound | Apr 3, 2013 |
When a body is found in a field of clay having been uncovered by a deluge it becomes a sensation because the body is recovered in thirty separate pieces. The press would like to sensationalize the find by putting it an the category of ritual killings, Satanic murder and other newsworthy events.

As much as Salvo Montalbano bemoans his slow creep into old age by refusing to wear eyeglasses he can still see clearly and can read the message of the body. The thirty pieces of a corpse, along with burial in a potter's clay field suggests a mafia killing in the old time fashion of wanting to leave a message.

Montalbano believes that the message is obvious. It brings to mind the biblical story of the betrayal of Jesus for thirty pieces of silver by his friend Judas. Judas later committed suicide after flinging back the payoff in the faces of his own seducers. He was then buried in a potter's field kept as a burial ground for the indigent.

All that is left for Montalbano is to figure out is the who of the body and the murderer, the why, the where and the how. The killer is cunning but not as smart as Montalbano and the denouement of the mystery is classic. ( )
1 vote Condorena | Apr 2, 2013 |

Nigro, Salvatore SilvanoContributorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quadruppani, SergeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vidal, PauTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He was awakened by a loud, insistent knocking at the door.

An unidentified corpse is found near Vigata, a town known for its soil rich with potter's clay. Meanwhile, a woman reports the disappearance of her husband, a Colombian man with Sicilian origins who turns out to be related to a local mobster. Then Inspector Montalbano remembers the story from the Bible--Judas's betrayal, the act of remorse, and the money for the potter's field, where those of unknown or foreign origin are to be buried--and slowly, through myriad betrayals, finds his way to the solution to the crime.… (more)

9 wanted5 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,815,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible