De wereld volgens Garp by John Irving

De wereld volgens Garp (original 1978; edition 1979)

by John Irving

Member:wimtimperman
Title:De wereld volgens Garp
Authors:John Irving
Info:Weesp Agathon 1979
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

The World According to Garp by John Irving (1978)

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (dele2451)
    dele2451: Garp and Owen would make a great literary double feature. I wish I didn't have to wait so many years between reading both of these wonderful books.
    The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon (alzo)
    Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: Both are left-field, with overlap in themes.
    A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz (Rynooo)
    White Teeth by Zadie Smith (sipthereader)

English (126)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  Tagalog (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (141)
One of my favorite books by my favorite author. John Irving is a wonderful storyteller. ( )
  MiriamMartin | Dec 12, 2014 |
“Life is an X-rated soap opera” (p. 470 in the Ballantine Books, © 1978 edition).

This theme is often repeated through the book, and I suspect that its repetition was no accident. John Irving is not one to waste words. And so, if he says a thing more than once, I take it he wants his readers to understand and appreciate the sentiment.

The World According to Garp is a modern-day classic at the level — in their own time — of the works of such literary mainstays as Tolstoy, Balzac and Dickens. It contains its own kind of pathos, its own kind of humor, its own kind of grandiosity. In short, the novel is big in every respect.

When I first saw the film 20 or 30 years ago, I loved it. At the time (or shortly before that time), my girlfriend in college had praised the book and told me I ought to read it. Snob that I was, I didn’t. At the time, I wouldn’t touch anything newer than Chaucer or — worst case — Fielding. My loss (as I’ve come to realize 20 or 30 years later). That, or I first needed to grow up.

There are several “quotables” in Irving’s book. I’ve already spearheaded this review with one of them. But there are others….

“Life,” Garp wrote, “is sadly not structured like a good old-fashioned novel. Instead, an ending occurs when those who are meant to peter out have petered out. All that’s left is memory. But a nihilist has a memory” (p. 582, ibid).

There are, of course, others that simply wouldn’t make any sense (or strike a reader dumb) out of context. But in context, they’re gems.

Irving is not a stylist in the truest sense of the word, but he is a story-teller almost sans pareille. The World According to Garp is over 600 pages in length — something almost unheard of in our day and celebration of Patience Little & Attention Spanless. But I, for one, haven’t been as captivated by a novel since — oh, I don’t know — Tom Jones; pretty much anything contained in La Comédie humaine; Great Expectations; Bleak House or David Copperfield.

‘Nough said. If you haven’t already read it, do yourself a favor: read the book, then watch the movie. Maybe you, too, will arrive at the same conclusion: viz., that John Irving and George Roy Hill (the Director of the film) are a pair of American classics almost on a par with Mark Twain.
  RussellBittner | Dec 12, 2014 |
Rating is more like 3.5 stars. For me, the first half of the novel was pretty close to 5 stars, the middle parts concerning his marriage (and the swinging 70's---a particularly annoying era in literature as far as I'm concerned and probably the sole reason why I didn't rate this novel 4 stars) were closer 2 stars, and the end picked up a little. Basically the novel was all over the map for me and, as seems to be the case with the other two Irving novels I've read, I became irritated with Irving's verbosity and scattered narratives.

With that said, this is a novel that I can see myself picking up again one day, giving it another try in the interest of "second reading insights" and recognizing the fact that 1970's literature (explicitly, 1970's literature dealing with contemporary sexual mores---blech) turns me off and may have biased me against the rest of the book. ( )
  dulcinea14 | Sep 18, 2014 |
Irving writes LONG books but fantastic LONG books. Spending the time to glide through the pages is worth every word.

What is the book about? Really?!? Do I need to go into this? Read the blurb. Just know that the book is excellent and everyone should read it.

How clever is "The Under Toad"? The cute back-story that gets mutilated by all the UNDER TOADS that happen throughout the book. I hope that doesn't give much away... but I'm pretty sure that it would be more confusing to someone than anything else.

Irving has some amazing quotes in this novel too. One of my favorite quotes had to do with the feeling one gets when everything stops and the world goes monotone; "What Garp was savoring was the beginning of a writer’s long-sought trance, wherein the world falls under one embracing tone of voice." You don't have to BE a writer to have experienced that feeling, I believe it relates to any art. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
This was a very interesting book. I haven't read a book like this before and definitely the first novel written by John Irving. I was actually quite impressed and very much enjoyed this book. Definitely a reader for anyone! Instead of getting rid of this book I decided its a keeper! ( )
  diananagy | Aug 14, 2014 |
The World According to Garp was more than single, memorable moments. It was unforgettable as a whole for a simple reason - it was epic. It was what a Great American Novel needs to be: all of life between covers.

These things oughtn't to be funny. Still, the way that Mr. Irving writes about them, they are. They way he filters them through his hero's unique imagination, we not only laugh at the world according to Garp, but we also accept it and love it.

John Irvingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paolini, Pier FrancescoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Colin and Brendan
Garp's mother, Jenny Fields, was arrested in Boston in 1942 for wounding a man in a movie theater.
people who have problems do not, as a rule, think their problems are "funny."
I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave--and nothing but laughter to console them with.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 034536676X, Mass Market Paperback)

"Garp was a natural storyteller," says the narrator of John Irving's incandescent novel, referring to the book's hero, the novelist Garp, who has much in common with Irving himself. "He could make things up one right after the other, and they seemed to fit."

Irving packs wild characters and weird events into his classic--officially recognized as such in a Modern Library edition with a new introduction by the author--while amazingly maintaining the rough feel of realism in every scene and the pulse of life in every heart. Many novelists of his time might have populated a novel with a novelist protagonist whose life and books comment on each other and the novel we're reading. Transsexual football players, ball turret gunners lobotomized in battle, multiple adultery, unicycling bears, mad feminists who amputate their tongues in sympathy with the celebrated victim of a horrifying rape--Irving made them all people. Even the bear is a fitting character.

In a crucial episode, Garp's wife's seduction of a young man coincidentally occurs at the moment when Garp is delighting their young sons with a reckless car trick (one of the few scenes beautifully, eerily, heartbreakingly captured in the film version as well). Many authors would have been content with the harsh comedy of the scene, but Irving respects its integrity, and he builds the rest of the book on the consequences of the event. How does he get away with his killer cocktail of slapstick and horror? Because it's simply what we all face daily, rearranged into soul-satisfying art. "Life is an X-rated soap opera," according to Garp, and who can contradict him?

Rereading Garp 20 years later, one is struck by how elegantly Irving structures his bizarre and complex story. Take the two most celebrated bits in the book, the Under Toad and Garp's story "The Pension Grillparzer," which shimmers like an exquisite Kafkaesque insect in the amber of the novel. When Garp warns his son about the "undertow" at the beach, the boy imagines a monster out of Beowulf who lurks beneath the waves to suck you under: the "Under Toad." It's funny at first, but we soon find that the Under Toad is a metaphor with teeth--he connects with a prophetic dream of death in "The Pension Grillparzer," set in Vienna. Garp's son's last words are, "It's like a dream!" And as Irving--who studied at the University of Vienna--can certainly tell you, the German word for "death" sounds precisely like the English word "toad."

All that death, and yet Garp is mainly exuberant. This story is, as Garp's stuttering writing teacher puts it, "rich with lu-lu-lunacy and sorrow." It enriches literature, and our lives. --Tim Appelo

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:26 -0400)

The story of T.S. Garp, the bastard son of a feminist leader who is ahead of her time. A comic and compassionate coming-of-age story.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,393,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible