I'm Alone by Jack Randell

I'm Alone

by Jack Randell

4None2,442,054NoneNone

No reviews
Autobiography of a Newfoundlander who went to sea aged 16 (c.1895). Enlisted in the Canadian Field Artillery in 1899 and served in the Boer War (35 pages on this period, during which he traded cattle indiscriminately to both sides). Various maritime and other adventures in Russia etc.; RNR 1914; commanded trawlers (DSC). Post-WW1 became a rum-runner during US prohibition (with his schooner I'm Alone) until blown out of the water by the US Coast Guard in 1929 when he refused to surrender to them. (Adapted from the descriptions of copies on AbeBooks).

Through all his life the beckoning finger of adventure has lured Captain "Jack" Randell across the restless wastes of the sea. From the days of his earliest childhood he knew he must follow the sea. It was bred into the marrow of his bones. Here he has told his sailor's tale, from the first early days when on his brother's ship he challenges a rival skipper to a race home from South America until the last great day when his schooner, the I'm Alone, is scuttled by gun-fire from a revenue cutter. Big business eventually comes along and leads him to rum-running, and the lure of a new ship and a safer mission bring him back again to the hazards of rum row. The greatest adventure of all is the last desperate race across the Gulf of Mexico, when he refuses to heave-to at the command of American authorities, stands on his rights as a British subject to the freedom of the seas and sees his ship destroyed by shells. I'm Alone was the apt name of his ship and is the just name for the autobiography of an adventurer who is always on his own.

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,326,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible