Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

Me Talk Pretty One Day (original 2000; edition 2010)

by David Sedaris (Author)

Me Talk Pretty One Day contains far more than just the funniest collection of autobiographical essays - it quite well registers as a manifesto about language itself. Wherever there's a straight line, you can be sure that Sedaris lurks beneath the text, making it jagged with laughter; and just where the fault lines fall, he sits mischievously perched at the epicenter of it all. David Sedaris's new collection, Me Talk Pretty One Day, tells a most unconventional life story. It begins with a North Carolina childhood filled with speech-therapy classes ("There was the lisp, of course, but more troubling than that was my voice itself, with its excitable tone and high, girlish pitch") and unwanted guitar lessons taught by a midget. From budding performance artist ("The only crimp in my plan was that I seemed to have no talent whatsoever") to "clearly unqualified" writing teacher in Chicago, Sedaris's career leads him to New York (the sky's-the-limit field of furniture moving) and eventually, of all places, France. Sedaris's move to Paris poses a number of challenges, chief among them his inability to speak the language. Arriving a "spooky man-child" capable of communicating only through nouns, he undertakes language instruction that leads him ever deeper into cultural confusion. Whether describing the Easter bunny to puzzled classmates, savoring movies in translation (It is Necessary to save the Soldier Ryan), or watching a group of men play soccer with a cow, Sedaris brings a view and a voice like no other--"Original, acid, and wild," said the Los Angeles Times--to every unforgettable encounter."--Jacket.… (more)
Member:Grobiewan
Title:Me Talk Pretty One Day
Authors:David Sedaris (Author)
Info:Abacus (UK) (2010), Edition: New Ed, 272 pages
Tags:to-read

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris (2000)

English (325)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (327)
funny. really, really funny. Don't sit in a public place while reading this, or you'll laugh out loud and people will look at you funny.
  librarymeanslove | Oct 1, 2020 |
I don't know why I resisted David Sedaris for as long as I did, but I'm so glad I've finally gotten around to reading him. I actually listened to this, and I recommend that format highly, since the author himself narrates. Fab FAB stuff. ( )
  Jessica_Olin | Sep 17, 2020 |
Anyone who has ever tried to learn a foreign language will find this hysterical. Sedaris tells stories about speech therapy as a child, trying to speak French as an adult, and many other amusing things. ( )
  DrApple | Apr 7, 2020 |
Amusing stories from the author's life. A quick and easy read. ( )
  obtusata | Jan 9, 2020 |
One of the funner reads of the year for me. ( )
  shum57 | Jul 22, 2019 |
Whereas ''Naked'' reads like a series of overlapping autobiographical essays, this volume feels more like a collection of magazine pieces or columns on pressing matters like the care and feeding of family pets and the travails of dining in Manhattan. But if Mr. Sedaris sometimes sounds as though he were making do with leftover material, ''Talk Pretty'' still makes for diverting reading.

The gifted Sedaris has not been hard enough on himself. At the risk of sounding patronizing, I suspect there is a better writer in there than he is as yet willing to let out.

This collection is, in its way, damned by its own ambitious embrace of variety; with so many pieces assembled, the stronger ones always punish the weaker... But reading or listening to David Sedaris is well worth the lulls for the thrills.

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aison, Cathryn S.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colombo, MatteoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hayden, MelissaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, Michael IanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pardoen, IrvingTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father, Lou
Anyone who watches even the slightest amount of TV is familiar with the scene: An agent knocks on the door of some seemingly ordinary home or office.

A recent transplant to Paris, humorist David Sedaris, bestselling author of "Naked", presents a collection of his strongest work yet, including the title story about his hilarious attempt to learn French.

5 1939

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,521,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible