Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

Me Talk Pretty One Day (original 2000; edition 2001)

by David Sedaris

Member:linguisticmuzak
Title:Me Talk Pretty One Day
Authors:David Sedaris
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Paperback, 272 pages

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris (2000)

English (313)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (315)
After two serious books, I felt it was time for another installment of Sedaris. I read Calypso a few weeks ago and, not even a week later, I found myself on Better World Books loading my cart with several other of his works. (You know, to support world literacy and not just my insatiable book addiction!)

What I especially like about Sedaris' essays is his incredible way of looking at instances of, what normal people would define as, utter embarrassment and humiliation with a healthy dose of humor and self-deprecating enlightenment. His perspective is upbeat and sugary-sweet with a flare of ridiculous. (No boggart stands a chance against him.)

Even after having a rough week, it was nice to come home, pick this up and have a good chuckle.

I would go into more, but I suggest you just get a copy and see for yourself. ( )
  bleached | Jul 28, 2018 |
The first couple of stories had me laughing out loud but the rest were ordinary. Sedaris is an astute observer of people but more than 1 or 2 about his French experience would have been enough. ( )
  ghefferon | Jul 19, 2018 |
Bizarrely funny in a really true way. ( )
  dasam | Jun 21, 2018 |
[b: Me Talk Pretty One Day|4137|Me Talk Pretty One Day|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1431013639s/4137.jpg|1030767] is a very fun series of short stories by the highly acclaimed [a: David Sedaris|2849|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1213737698p2/2849.jpg]. Only one story, "Jesus Shaves," is repeated from a previous collection and I can't really complain about its inclusion seeing how it's one of his better ones. The bulk of the stories focus on his time spent in France, the difference in cultures, and the difficulty of learning a new language. The other stories, well, they focus more upon his family and New York, various rants about food, technology, the weather, and work. The usual sort of Sedaris fare.

This collection is definitely the strongest of his so far, so it's understandable why it's one of the better known ones. Having a cohesive theme as [b: Holidays on Ice|4136|Holidays on Ice|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1328330843s/4136.jpg|674383] did serves the collection well. While Sedaris is never quite a cogent story teller, his rants are extremely entertaining and make for good, quick reading. This book wasn't quite as caustic as some of the stories in [b: Naked|4138|Naked|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1394178867s/4138.jpg|2086690] were either, which also served it well. He never quite toned himself down, but he did gain more confidence and with it a less abrasive style of writing.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this book to just about anyone, and I definitely would laud it as one of Sedaris's best. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of what his writing has to offer. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I was really looking forward to this book but I shouldn't have bothered. I found it absolutely boring. I did stop reading it halfway through.........I couldn't take anymore. Sidesplitting, witty, irresistibly funny the reviews said. I didn't even chuckle. To each his own. ( )
  deb115 | Apr 26, 2018 |
Whereas ''Naked'' reads like a series of overlapping autobiographical essays, this volume feels more like a collection of magazine pieces or columns on pressing matters like the care and feeding of family pets and the travails of dining in Manhattan. But if Mr. Sedaris sometimes sounds as though he were making do with leftover material, ''Talk Pretty'' still makes for diverting reading.

The gifted Sedaris has not been hard enough on himself. At the risk of sounding patronizing, I suspect there is a better writer in there than he is as yet willing to let out.

This collection is, in its way, damned by its own ambitious embrace of variety; with so many pieces assembled, the stronger ones always punish the weaker... But reading or listening to David Sedaris is well worth the lulls for the thrills.

Sedaris, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Aison, Cathryn S.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Colombo, MatteoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hayden, MelissaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, Michael IanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pardoen, IrvingTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father, Lou
Anyone who watches even the slightest amount of TV is familiar with the scene: An agent knocks on the door of some seemingly ordinary home or office.

Humor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316776963, Paperback)

"It's a pretty grim world when I can't even feel superior to a toddler." Welcome to the curious mind of David Sedaris, where dogs outrank children, guitars have breasts, and French toddlers unmask the inadequacies of the American male. Sedaris inhabits this world as a misanthrope chronicling all things petty and small. In Me Talk Pretty One Day Sedaris is as determined as ever to be nobody's hero--he never triumphs, he never conquers--and somehow, with each failure, he inadvertently becomes everybody's favorite underdog. The world's most eloquent malcontent, Sedaris has turned self-deprecation into a celebrated art form--one that is perhaps best experienced in audio. "Go Carolina," his account of "the first battle of my war against the letter s" is particularly poignant. Unable to disguise the lisp that has become his trademark, Sedaris highlights (to hilarious extent) the frustration of reading "childish s-laden texts recounting the adventures of seals or settlers named Sassy or Samuel." Including 23 of the book version's 28 stories, two live performances complete with involuntary laughter, and an uncannily accurate Billie Holiday impersonation, the audio is more than a companion to the text; it stands alone as a performance piece--only without the sock monkeys. (Running time: 5 hours, 4 cassettes) --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:13 -0400)

Me Talk Pretty One Day contains far more than just the funniest collection of autobiographical essays - it quite well registers as a manifesto about language itself. Wherever there's a straight line, you can be sure that Sedaris lurks beneath the text, making it jagged with laughter; and just where the fault lines fall, he sits mischievously perched at the epicenter of it all. David Sedaris's new collection, Me Talk Pretty One Day, tells a most unconventional life story. It begins with a North Carolina childhood filled with speech-therapy classes ("There was the lisp, of course, but more troubling than that was my voice itself, with its excitable tone and high, girlish pitch") and unwanted guitar lessons taught by a midget. From budding performance artist ("The only crimp in my plan was that I seemed to have no talent whatsoever") to "clearly unqualified" writing teacher in Chicago, Sedaris's career leads him to New York (the sky's-the-limit field of furniture moving) and eventually, of all places, France. Sedaris's move to Paris poses a number of challenges, chief among them his inability to speak the language. Arriving a "spooky man-child" capable of communicating only through nouns, he undertakes language instruction that leads him ever deeper into cultural confusion. Whether describing the Easter bunny to puzzled classmates, savoring movies in translation (It is Necessary to save the Soldier Ryan), or watching a group of men play soccer with a cow, Sedaris brings a view and a voice like no other--"Original, acid, and wild," said the Los Angeles Times--to every unforgettable encounter."--Jacket.… (more)

4 2043

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,929,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible