Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

Me Talk Pretty One Day (original 2000; edition 2001)

by David Sedaris

16,320259107 (4.07)353
Member:BethArcher
Title:Me Talk Pretty One Day
Authors:David Sedaris
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Humor, Essays

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris (2000)

English (256)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (258)
It started out well, but fell off quickly. I didn't finish reading it. ( )
  DL_Orton | Jun 29, 2015 |
Normally, I stay away from any book that might be labeled a memoir. I tend to think that memoirs are incredibly self-indulgent. My line of thinking goes something like this... "Why should anyone care about your life enough that you need to publish it?"

I also tend to stay away from short stories. I find them harder to read than some 700 page books I've read.

I only picked up this book on a glowing recommendation from a friend. And I'm glad I finally read it. While I don't think it was the greatest book I've ever read, I enjoyed the easy writing style and the tendency toward sarcasm. In my experience, it's very hard to write sarcastically and Sedaris does it well. My favorite stories were the ones after he had moved to Paris. Particularly the final story, because it reminded me of the hoards of expired foods I found in my gradnparent's pantry and basement before their move from Tennessee back to Michigan. On the other hand, I didn't so much enjoy the easy drug references, because I just have a hard time thinking drug use in any way is ok.

Overall, though, I enjoyed the book and would read more of his work. ( )
  Shannon29 | Jun 25, 2015 |
I resisted picking this up for a long time, but then a bookcrossed copy crossed my path, concurrently with another recommendation. I was right the first time. As I said in my review for Catcher in the Rye, I didn't empathize with or understand or care about the character(s) - and is that my fault, or the author's? ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
This collection of humorous personal essays is divided into two sections. In Part One, Sedaris mostly talks about his childhood, his family, and his life. Part Deux is mostly about his time living in France, especially his attempts to learn the language. Both parts, of course, are written with his usual droll, slightly off-kilter sense of humor, which he deploys consistently throughout the whole book. There is often, though, an odd undercurrent of poignancy or vulnerability or... something, which might almost feel a little uncomfortable to read if you weren't busy laughing at it. I kind of admire Sedaris's ability to make that work. ( )
1 vote bragan | Apr 2, 2015 |
I gave it 3 stars because "naked" was better in my opinion. I can't drive out "get your ya-ya’s out!" from that collection. there was more Stories in "naked" . this collection mostly looks like essays . ( )
  payam-tommy | Mar 13, 2015 |
Whereas ''Naked'' reads like a series of overlapping autobiographical essays, this volume feels more like a collection of magazine pieces or columns on pressing matters like the care and feeding of family pets and the travails of dining in Manhattan. But if Mr. Sedaris sometimes sounds as though he were making do with leftover material, ''Talk Pretty'' still makes for diverting reading.

The gifted Sedaris has not been hard enough on himself. At the risk of sounding patronizing, I suspect there is a better writer in there than he is as yet willing to let out.

This collection is, in its way, damned by its own ambitious embrace of variety; with so many pieces assembled, the stronger ones always punish the weaker... But reading or listening to David Sedaris is well worth the lulls for the thrills.

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colombo, MatteoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father, Lou
Anyone who watches even the slightest amount of TV is familiar with the scene: An agent knocks on the door of some seemingly ordinary home or office.
Humor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316776963, Paperback)

"It's a pretty grim world when I can't even feel superior to a toddler." Welcome to the curious mind of David Sedaris, where dogs outrank children, guitars have breasts, and French toddlers unmask the inadequacies of the American male. Sedaris inhabits this world as a misanthrope chronicling all things petty and small. In Me Talk Pretty One Day Sedaris is as determined as ever to be nobody's hero--he never triumphs, he never conquers--and somehow, with each failure, he inadvertently becomes everybody's favorite underdog. The world's most eloquent malcontent, Sedaris has turned self-deprecation into a celebrated art form--one that is perhaps best experienced in audio. "Go Carolina," his account of "the first battle of my war against the letter s" is particularly poignant. Unable to disguise the lisp that has become his trademark, Sedaris highlights (to hilarious extent) the frustration of reading "childish s-laden texts recounting the adventures of seals or settlers named Sassy or Samuel." Including 23 of the book version's 28 stories, two live performances complete with involuntary laughter, and an uncannily accurate Billie Holiday impersonation, the audio is more than a companion to the text; it stands alone as a performance piece--only without the sock monkeys. (Running time: 5 hours, 4 cassettes) --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:13 -0400)

David Sedaris moved from New York to Paris where he attempted to learn French. His teacher, a sadist, declared that every day spent with him was like giving birth the Caesarean way! These hilarious essays were inspired by that move.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,414,987 books! | Top bar: Always visible