Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

Me Talk Pretty One Day (original 2000; edition 2001)

by David Sedaris

15,812None111 (4.08)327
Member:BethArcher
Title:Me Talk Pretty One Day
Authors:David Sedaris
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Humor, Essays

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris (2000)

American (98) American literature (35) autobiography (169) biography (116) comedy (116) David Sedaris (59) essay (86) essays (958) family (105) favorite (42) fiction (214) France (201) funny (121) gay (124) homosexuality (44) humor (1,935) language (44) literature (34) memoir (842) non-fiction (847) North Carolina (30) own (101) Paris (67) read (242) satire (48) sedaris (52) short stories (300) signed (44) to-read (143) unread (56)

English (242)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (244)
“If you aren't cute, you may as well be clever.” Well David Sedaris is certainly clever and never more so than in Me Talk Pretty One Day. A friend gave it to me when I was down and I recommend anyone to give it to a friend that needs cheering up. It helped me so much.
  KatieMassey | Mar 26, 2014 |
So funny, so cynical! Loved the mockery and irony that simply reflects our reality with great wits. Lovely book!!! ( )
  pathogenik | Mar 2, 2014 |
I thought this was damn funny. I kept reading passages aloud to my husband. I'm a fan of public radio's This American Life, so I've heard a few of these stories before. They're just as enjoyable to read as to listen to. By the way, I was once in a bookstore that had shelved this book in the children's section. No. Why. ( )
  psychedelicmicrobus | Feb 20, 2014 |
I have never read anything by David Sedaris. I was always vaguely aware of his books coming out, and I knew that he was funny, but that was about it. However, when I saw this book on my library's audio download site, I decided to give it a try. I needed something to balance the anxiety of reading [The Goldfinch], and I thought this would work well for my daily commutes. Sedaris himself reads the audio version, and he is hilarious. From his childhood stories of his parents to his descriptions of being an expatriate in Paris, he finds the humor in almost any situation. He has a dry wit, the kind that sneaks up on you. I'm sure that more than one person stopped next to me at a stoplight wondered why I was laughing so hard. This was just what I needed this week! ( )
  porch_reader | Feb 15, 2014 |
Clever move, putting the funniest stories at the end of the book. ( )
  ancameme | Feb 9, 2014 |
Whereas ''Naked'' reads like a series of overlapping autobiographical essays, this volume feels more like a collection of magazine pieces or columns on pressing matters like the care and feeding of family pets and the travails of dining in Manhattan. But if Mr. Sedaris sometimes sounds as though he were making do with leftover material, ''Talk Pretty'' still makes for diverting reading.

The gifted Sedaris has not been hard enough on himself. At the risk of sounding patronizing, I suspect there is a better writer in there than he is as yet willing to let out.

This collection is, in its way, damned by its own ambitious embrace of variety; with so many pieces assembled, the stronger ones always punish the weaker... But reading or listening to David Sedaris is well worth the lulls for the thrills.

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colombo, MatteoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father, Lou
Anyone who watches even the slightest amount of TV is familiar with the scene: An agent knocks on the door of some seemingly ordinary home or office.
Humor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316776963, Paperback)

"It's a pretty grim world when I can't even feel superior to a toddler." Welcome to the curious mind of David Sedaris, where dogs outrank children, guitars have breasts, and French toddlers unmask the inadequacies of the American male. Sedaris inhabits this world as a misanthrope chronicling all things petty and small. In Me Talk Pretty One Day Sedaris is as determined as ever to be nobody's hero--he never triumphs, he never conquers--and somehow, with each failure, he inadvertently becomes everybody's favorite underdog. The world's most eloquent malcontent, Sedaris has turned self-deprecation into a celebrated art form--one that is perhaps best experienced in audio. "Go Carolina," his account of "the first battle of my war against the letter s" is particularly poignant. Unable to disguise the lisp that has become his trademark, Sedaris highlights (to hilarious extent) the frustration of reading "childish s-laden texts recounting the adventures of seals or settlers named Sassy or Samuel." Including 23 of the book version's 28 stories, two live performances complete with involuntary laughter, and an uncannily accurate Billie Holiday impersonation, the audio is more than a companion to the text; it stands alone as a performance piece--only without the sock monkeys. (Running time: 5 hours, 4 cassettes) --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:47 -0400)

David Sedaris moved from New York to Paris where he attempted to learn French. His teacher, a sadist, declared that every day spent with him was like giving birth the Caesarean way! These hilarious essays were inspired by that move. Originally published: Boston, Mass.: Little, Brown, 2000; London: Abacus, 2001.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible