Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

Me Talk Pretty One Day (original 2000; edition 2001)

by David Sedaris

Title:Me Talk Pretty One Day
Authors:David Sedaris
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Tags:memoir, humor

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris (2000)

English (260)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (262)
Originally read 12/17/11. Another great collection of essays by Sedaris. A couple were wordy and uninteresting to me personally, but the vast majority made me laugh out loud and want to try living in another country in hopes I'd have equally funny stories to share.

Re-read 4/6/13. Re-read in continued excitement to see Sedaris speak on 4/20 [http://www.allisonwrites.com/2013/04/an-evening-with-david-sedaris.html]. I don't think I liked this book as much as his others the first time I read it, but this time I really enjoyed it. So much of it was humorous, and I really studied how he structured his essays and made the ones seemingly about nothing into real stories. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
It's hard to think about reading Sedaris outside of the context of his current megafame. These days, seeing his name in the New Yorker and hearing his voice on This American Life every week has made him feel formulaic to me, but when I read this years ago when it came out, his was a hilarious, exciting voice that I hadn't encountered before. I do love Sedaris's self-deprecation and his deftness at constructing a story, and he (used to) make me laugh out loud as I read. If you're not oversaturated, or if you're lucky enough to be new to Sedaris, read this book, which I think is his best. ( )
  rubybookster | Nov 3, 2015 |
Recently I asked a friend, "Is it a crime that I haven't read any David Sedaris yet?" His response was an instant text back saying simply, "Yes!"
After reading Me Talk Pretty One Day, I would have to agree with him.
Sedaris is by far, one of the funniest writers I have encountered. His humor is so intelligent. It's not simply a punchline here and a silly anticdote there. It's witty and woven into his narrative so remarkably, you don't see it coming until your laughing out loud in the middle of the coffee shop, with everyone around you staring.
You can clearly tell this man has a keen eye for observing the human species, and he sees our flaws, and he's going to make us laugh at them!
A must read! ( )
  Kiddboyblue | Nov 1, 2015 |
This is by far the best comedic book I have ever read. This is my second time reading it and it was a joy to rediscover. The single funniest chapter, for me is the one where David and his classmates are trying to describe Easter to a Muslim student in broken French: "Then the rabbit of Easter he come with a basket full of foods..." "Then Jesus he go above your head to live with your father." I never thought it was possible to write a book this funny. It's one thing to relate a story about something funny. It's quite another to craft funny prose, a topic worthy of a literary doctoral thesis in my opinion. ( )
  Victor_A_Davis | Sep 18, 2015 |
I just LOVE him. Pretty soon, I'll be done with all of his books and I'll miss him. ( )
1 vote engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Whereas ''Naked'' reads like a series of overlapping autobiographical essays, this volume feels more like a collection of magazine pieces or columns on pressing matters like the care and feeding of family pets and the travails of dining in Manhattan. But if Mr. Sedaris sometimes sounds as though he were making do with leftover material, ''Talk Pretty'' still makes for diverting reading.
The gifted Sedaris has not been hard enough on himself. At the risk of sounding patronizing, I suspect there is a better writer in there than he is as yet willing to let out.
This collection is, in its way, damned by its own ambitious embrace of variety; with so many pieces assembled, the stronger ones always punish the weaker... But reading or listening to David Sedaris is well worth the lulls for the thrills.

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colombo, MatteoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father, Lou
Anyone who watches even the slightest amount of TV is familiar with the scene: An agent knocks on the door of some seemingly ordinary home or office.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316776963, Paperback)

"It's a pretty grim world when I can't even feel superior to a toddler." Welcome to the curious mind of David Sedaris, where dogs outrank children, guitars have breasts, and French toddlers unmask the inadequacies of the American male. Sedaris inhabits this world as a misanthrope chronicling all things petty and small. In Me Talk Pretty One Day Sedaris is as determined as ever to be nobody's hero--he never triumphs, he never conquers--and somehow, with each failure, he inadvertently becomes everybody's favorite underdog. The world's most eloquent malcontent, Sedaris has turned self-deprecation into a celebrated art form--one that is perhaps best experienced in audio. "Go Carolina," his account of "the first battle of my war against the letter s" is particularly poignant. Unable to disguise the lisp that has become his trademark, Sedaris highlights (to hilarious extent) the frustration of reading "childish s-laden texts recounting the adventures of seals or settlers named Sassy or Samuel." Including 23 of the book version's 28 stories, two live performances complete with involuntary laughter, and an uncannily accurate Billie Holiday impersonation, the audio is more than a companion to the text; it stands alone as a performance piece--only without the sock monkeys. (Running time: 5 hours, 4 cassettes) --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:13 -0400)

David Sedaris moved from New York to Paris where he attempted to learn French. His teacher, a sadist, declared that every day spent with him was like giving birth the Caesarean way! These hilarious essays were inspired by that move.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,862,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible