Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

Me Talk Pretty One Day (original 2000; edition 2001)

by David Sedaris

Member:bigorangecat
Title:Me Talk Pretty One Day
Authors:David Sedaris
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:memoir, humor

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris (2000)

Recently added bythelittlestacks, private library, jMitty, Lokweesha, LizHD, izaac, kineticlypeev13

English (253)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (255)
I gave it 3 stars because "naked" was better in my opinion. I can't drive out "get your ya-ya’s out!" from that collection. there was more Stories in "naked" . this collection mostly looks like essays . ( )
  payam-tommy | Mar 13, 2015 |
Me Talk Pretty One Day is another collection of Sedaris stories that display his unique blend of sardonic, dark, but often side-splitting hilarious humor. The first set of stories is set in New York City and the second half in Paris where he lived for a time with his boyfriend Hugh.

These stories are not as starkly autobiographical and emotionally wrought as those found in his other collection Naked. But they still shed some light on his somewhat twisted nature which he seems to have inherited from eccentric parents and other forebears.

Sedaris's stories are truly short which make them perfect bathroom reading. Speaking of which, "Big Boy" about Sedaris, at a dinner party, trying to get rid of a huge turd left by a previous visitor - is just about the funniest thing I read in 2014. ( )
  OccassionalRead | Jan 28, 2015 |
Of the three David Sedaris books that I’ve read, this one is my least favorite. Of course, that’s like saying, of the three pieces of chocolate I’ve chosen from this gourmet assortment, this is the one I enjoyed the least. In other words, even when he’s not at his best, he’s still pretty darn good.

There were just a few “laugh out loud moments” in this one—considering the sometimes dark turn taken by some of the pieces in this collection (e.g., Sedaris’ crystal meth addiction), that’s not unexpected. Sedaris’ fans will encounter the usual sources of Sedaris’ wit here—his family (especially his father), his lack of initiative, his befuddlement at the ignorance of simple folk, etc. He also recounts his move to France, which provides most of the laughs in this volume, particularly in the second half of the book.

This merely above-average effort from Sedaris is certainly good enough to convince me that I should continue reading his subsequent volumes. Few people are as funny as David Sedaris, even when he’s not at the top of his game. ( )
  jimrgill | Jan 25, 2015 |
Cute, light expat humour. Really liked the second half of the book. ( )
  plaeski | Dec 16, 2014 |
Signed by author: "I don't hear your lisp at all"
  adriennefriend | Nov 3, 2014 |
Whereas ''Naked'' reads like a series of overlapping autobiographical essays, this volume feels more like a collection of magazine pieces or columns on pressing matters like the care and feeding of family pets and the travails of dining in Manhattan. But if Mr. Sedaris sometimes sounds as though he were making do with leftover material, ''Talk Pretty'' still makes for diverting reading.

The gifted Sedaris has not been hard enough on himself. At the risk of sounding patronizing, I suspect there is a better writer in there than he is as yet willing to let out.

This collection is, in its way, damned by its own ambitious embrace of variety; with so many pieces assembled, the stronger ones always punish the weaker... But reading or listening to David Sedaris is well worth the lulls for the thrills.

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colombo, MatteoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father, Lou
Anyone who watches even the slightest amount of TV is familiar with the scene: An agent knocks on the door of some seemingly ordinary home or office.
Humor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316776963, Paperback)

"It's a pretty grim world when I can't even feel superior to a toddler." Welcome to the curious mind of David Sedaris, where dogs outrank children, guitars have breasts, and French toddlers unmask the inadequacies of the American male. Sedaris inhabits this world as a misanthrope chronicling all things petty and small. In Me Talk Pretty One Day Sedaris is as determined as ever to be nobody's hero--he never triumphs, he never conquers--and somehow, with each failure, he inadvertently becomes everybody's favorite underdog. The world's most eloquent malcontent, Sedaris has turned self-deprecation into a celebrated art form--one that is perhaps best experienced in audio. "Go Carolina," his account of "the first battle of my war against the letter s" is particularly poignant. Unable to disguise the lisp that has become his trademark, Sedaris highlights (to hilarious extent) the frustration of reading "childish s-laden texts recounting the adventures of seals or settlers named Sassy or Samuel." Including 23 of the book version's 28 stories, two live performances complete with involuntary laughter, and an uncannily accurate Billie Holiday impersonation, the audio is more than a companion to the text; it stands alone as a performance piece--only without the sock monkeys. (Running time: 5 hours, 4 cassettes) --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:47 -0400)

David Sedaris moved from New York to Paris where he attempted to learn French. His teacher, a sadist, declared that every day spent with him was like giving birth the Caesarean way! These hilarious essays were inspired by that move.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,162,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible