Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

Me Talk Pretty One Day (original 2000; edition 2001)

by David Sedaris

Member:bigorangecat
Title:Me Talk Pretty One Day
Authors:David Sedaris
Info:Back Bay Books (2001), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:memoir, humor

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris (2000)

English (248)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (250)
Ridiculously laugh-out-loud funny. ( )
  Milda-TX | Sep 22, 2014 |
Another Sedaris book that had me on the floor with his crazy stories. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
Mm...I can see how it's humorous and all, but...just not my brand of funny I guess. Usually I wouldn't have given up, but I have this insane backlog of about a bajillion books, many of which I feel would be more intriguing, edifying, or both, than this one...so many books, and so little time. Ah well. On to the next! ( )
  -sunny- | Jul 15, 2014 |
  -sunny- | Jul 15, 2014 |
Not funny enough to be a 4 or 5 stars, but funny enough to be entertaining for an afternoon. Some parts were great, some parts dragged, it was just a mixed bag, so my rating's squarely in the middle for this one. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
Whereas ''Naked'' reads like a series of overlapping autobiographical essays, this volume feels more like a collection of magazine pieces or columns on pressing matters like the care and feeding of family pets and the travails of dining in Manhattan. But if Mr. Sedaris sometimes sounds as though he were making do with leftover material, ''Talk Pretty'' still makes for diverting reading.

The gifted Sedaris has not been hard enough on himself. At the risk of sounding patronizing, I suspect there is a better writer in there than he is as yet willing to let out.

This collection is, in its way, damned by its own ambitious embrace of variety; with so many pieces assembled, the stronger ones always punish the weaker... But reading or listening to David Sedaris is well worth the lulls for the thrills.

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colombo, MatteoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father, Lou
Anyone who watches even the slightest amount of TV is familiar with the scene: An agent knocks on the door of some seemingly ordinary home or office.
Humor

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316776963, Paperback)

"It's a pretty grim world when I can't even feel superior to a toddler." Welcome to the curious mind of David Sedaris, where dogs outrank children, guitars have breasts, and French toddlers unmask the inadequacies of the American male. Sedaris inhabits this world as a misanthrope chronicling all things petty and small. In Me Talk Pretty One Day Sedaris is as determined as ever to be nobody's hero--he never triumphs, he never conquers--and somehow, with each failure, he inadvertently becomes everybody's favorite underdog. The world's most eloquent malcontent, Sedaris has turned self-deprecation into a celebrated art form--one that is perhaps best experienced in audio. "Go Carolina," his account of "the first battle of my war against the letter s" is particularly poignant. Unable to disguise the lisp that has become his trademark, Sedaris highlights (to hilarious extent) the frustration of reading "childish s-laden texts recounting the adventures of seals or settlers named Sassy or Samuel." Including 23 of the book version's 28 stories, two live performances complete with involuntary laughter, and an uncannily accurate Billie Holiday impersonation, the audio is more than a companion to the text; it stands alone as a performance piece--only without the sock monkeys. (Running time: 5 hours, 4 cassettes) --Daphne Durham

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:47 -0400)

David Sedaris moved from New York to Paris where he attempted to learn French. His teacher, a sadist, declared that every day spent with him was like giving birth the Caesarean way! These hilarious essays were inspired by that move.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,333,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible