Night Fall by Nelson DeMille

Night Fall (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Nelson DeMille

Member:Wyatt41
Title:Night Fall
Authors:Nelson DeMille
Info:Vision (2005), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 704 pages
Rating:*****

Night Fall by Nelson DeMille (2004)

this is a really fast, entertaining read for the most part. his main character is still far too full of machismo and i found myself almost rooting for him to be killed in the end to finally be done with him, but the conspiracy (or is it?) and the investigation of the accident (or was it a crime?) is what really held me and kept me turning the pages. most of the book is this investigation, which is good, because i still don't like the way demille writes his relationships and i can only take so much of john corey when he is doing anything but investigating. but the crux of this book is good, and it's made me want to read up on the real events that inspired it. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Oct 8, 2014 |
Went around in circles for half the book then left you hanging at the end. ( )
  Carole-Ann | Aug 7, 2014 |
This novel has been on my bookshelf to read for a long time. I’m not sure why it took me so long to begin reading it. As I started reading, I couldn’t help but think about the recent headlines for Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370. It made me pause to check the copyright date.

Over the years I have personally experienced so many times of joy in regard to airline flights – departures for long-planned and anticipated vacations, departures for adrenaline-pumping business travel, arrivals of loved ones, arrivals filled with successful and “mission-complete” business travel, arrivals laced with joyous new memories and treasures to share with loved ones at home. And now there are the business travel arrangements that I make almost weekly for others – as simple a phone exchange of details as calling for a restaurant reservation or calling to place a take-out order. It is difficult to fully comprehend being called to an airport for an airline tragedy and particularly a crash involving fire as TWA Flight 800 off Long Island, NY, on July 17, 1996.

As the Richard Times Dispatch shared, “Engrossing…This is a hard book to put down-and harder to forget.”

It’s not a book to read on a transcontinental flight but it’s a book not to be missed. It’s thought-provoking and you’ll never take another joyous homecoming at an airport for granted again – not ever.
  Corduroy7 | Aug 6, 2014 |
Oh my god. No amount of planning could prepare me to pen a deserving review for Night Fall. I will never ever read such a large book in so short a time. It was unbelievable. This is why I read books. After this, if I have to ditch 10 books in a row, it will be worth it. When I was reading Night Fall, I thought no way does this book get 4/5 stars. But it occurred that all events converged on the remaining chapters. That is the only way an okay setup book jumps from okay to amazing. The most recent film that I've seen that had that structure was Miyazaki's The Wind Rises. The end made the preceding story spine tingling.

I want to convince you that Night Fall is an amazing book. You should read it. Reading, for the moment for me, is so much better than movies or music. It's the remaining medium in which I have faith and which delivers more often than not. Night Fall comprises of 672 pages. I went through them like that. For a story of its type there were few people to keep track of. John Corey always surprises me. He keeps needing to remind me that he does detect and solves mysteries, which is usually not the priority in the twist obsessed world of the thriller.

The genius thing about this book is when the hero and his wife are exiled from the USA. We don't see their extradition. Bang, immediately in the next chapter Corey returns home, and takes up the forbidden, conspiracy laced case and follows its trail from the airport. I will not trade that moment for any other memory of any book that I've read. Take a bow Nelson Demille, for this book is surely your masterpiece. I feel strongly about the Jill Winslow character. She was a real tragic figure, and I was against her in the beginning. What a turnaround. This is what good art does. It plays with our emotions without making us aware of the manipulation. I will re read this book soon. I have to. I'm still now sure how this embarking became a stroll in the park. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jun 25, 2014 |
The fate of TWA Flight 800 has been attributed to a mechanical malfunction. But for John Corey and his wife Kate Mayfield, both members of the elite Anti-Terrorist Task Force, the case is not closed. Suspicious of a cover-up, they set out to find the one piece of evidence that will prove their theory—that at least two other people are determined to keep hidden: a videotape of the unbelievable truth. ( )
  gaillamontagne | May 20, 2014 |
For Sandy

At Last . . .
Bud Mitchell drove his Ford Explorer along Dune Road.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 044617792X, Paperback)

John Corey, former NYPD homicide detective, assigned to the Federal Anti-Terrorist Task Force in the pre-millennium 90's, makes a return appearance in a thoughtful novel offering an alternative to the government's "official" position on what really happened to TWA Flight 800, which crashed off the Long Island coast in the summer of 1996. Accompanying his wife Kate to a memorial marking the five-year anniversary of the crash, Corey's curiosity is aroused by what appears to be a concerted effort by Kate's fellow federal agents to keep him--and her--from investigating a case that appears to be closed. Corey's detecting skills lead him to two witnesses to the crash, who were enjoying an adulterous interlude on the beach at the time the plane went down--and videotaping their sexual escapades while what appears to be a terrorist missile attack takes place in the background. What ratchets up the tension in this capably written thriller is what the reader knows but Corey doesn't as he heads for a showdown with those responsible for the official cover-up as the clock ticks down to the morning of September 11, 2001. DeMille's deft touch with a riddle wrapped in an enigma--what really happened to Flight 800--makes his "what if" scenario a more than plausible theory; you don't have to believe in conspiracies or government cover-ups to find his latest engrossing, entertaining, and enlightening. --Jane Adams

Amazon.com Exclusive Content

Nelson DeMille on Night Fall: An Exclusive Essay

It was a true story, the explosion of TWA Flight 800 off the coast of Long Island in 1996, that inspired Nelson DeMille to write the fictional Night Fall. Read this Amazon.com exclusive essay for insight into the coincidences that made this tragedy a subject DeMille couldn't ignore.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:26 -0400)

On a Long Island beach at dusk, Bob Mitchell and Janet Whitney conduct their illicit love affair in front of a video camera, set to record each steamy moment. Suddenly a terrible explosion lights up the sky. Grabbing the camera, the couple flees as approaching police cars speed toward the scene. Five years later, the crash of Flight 800 has been attributed to a mechanical mal-function. But for John Corey and Kate Mayfield, both members of the Elite Anti-terrorist Task Force, the case is not closed. Suspecting a cover-up at the highest levels and disobeying orders, they set out to find the one piece of evidence that will prove the truth about what really happened to Flight 800-the videotape that shows a couple making love on the beach and the last moments of the doomed airliner.… (more)

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,042,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible