Night Fall by Nelson DeMille

Night Fall (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Nelson DeMille

1,971None3,429 (3.91)36
Member:Wyatt41
Title:Night Fall
Authors:Nelson DeMille
Info:Vision (2005), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 704 pages
Rating:*****

Night Fall by Nelson DeMille (2004)

2005 (5) 9/11 (14) action (6) aircraft accidents (6) audiobook (11) CIA (6) conspiracy (12) crime (11) DeMille (12) ebook (7) FBI (14) fiction (187) hardcover (10) investigation (5) John Corey (44) Long Island (8) mystery (76) Mystery/Thriller (6) New York (13) New York City (8) novel (16) NYPD (6) own (9) read (33) suspense (38) terrorism (35) thriller (85) to-read (14) TWA Flight 800 (13) unread (8)

John Corey returns for another fascinating thriller. Night Fall has it all, action, suspense, John Corey humor and the flight most of us remember, TWA Flight 800. The truth of what happened just might be in this gripping novel. ( )
  Michael-Murphy | Feb 7, 2014 |
I just love his wiseass John Corey character. This one involves his investigation into the crash of TWA flight 800. Lots of fun. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
Ok, this was just plain boring. The story was blase, the main character was a complete dick [instead of being a smart alecky wisecracker like the author intended] and the ending, hit me in the gut hard. And I didn't like that.

I'm really of two minds about the ending. Part of me realizes that 9/11 is now part of history. As such, it is a circumstance to be used.

But a very visceral part of me rebels at having that incident used. I remember watching on tv when the crashes happened. I remember watching in utter disbelief, sure that I was seeing some fx footage, as the tower collapsed. I remember being sick to my stomach at the implications.

Other than the ending, this book was vanilla. In fact, vanilla is hard core, devil worshipping, baby eating, ultra-death metal, climate change is real, in your face screaming compared to this book.

Ugh. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
A quick, fun read. Not his best, but John Corey always makes me laugh. Anyone who was surprised by the ending, thought it didn't fit, or thought it was contrived wasn't paying attention to this book. I knew where it was going by page 30, and he was clearly going to have to end it that way or something very similar because that's the only thing that would fit in a historical context. Fun to see how it unfolded. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Dec 15, 2012 |
I love mysteries and this book caught me by the lapels and dragged me though the mystery of TWA 800, which exploded off Long Island. Great characters, fantastically told story - but the end didn't match up to the quality of the ride getting there. Since I don't have the option of giving a 3.5, I nudged up to a 4 based on captivating writing, and a story that had my undivided interest almost to the end. ( )
  MarkSouza | Jul 16, 2012 |
For Sandy

At Last . . .
Bud Mitchell drove his Ford Explorer along Dune Road.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 044617792X, Paperback)

John Corey, former NYPD homicide detective, assigned to the Federal Anti-Terrorist Task Force in the pre-millennium 90's, makes a return appearance in a thoughtful novel offering an alternative to the government's "official" position on what really happened to TWA Flight 800, which crashed off the Long Island coast in the summer of 1996. Accompanying his wife Kate to a memorial marking the five-year anniversary of the crash, Corey's curiosity is aroused by what appears to be a concerted effort by Kate's fellow federal agents to keep him--and her--from investigating a case that appears to be closed. Corey's detecting skills lead him to two witnesses to the crash, who were enjoying an adulterous interlude on the beach at the time the plane went down--and videotaping their sexual escapades while what appears to be a terrorist missile attack takes place in the background. What ratchets up the tension in this capably written thriller is what the reader knows but Corey doesn't as he heads for a showdown with those responsible for the official cover-up as the clock ticks down to the morning of September 11, 2001. DeMille's deft touch with a riddle wrapped in an enigma--what really happened to Flight 800--makes his "what if" scenario a more than plausible theory; you don't have to believe in conspiracies or government cover-ups to find his latest engrossing, entertaining, and enlightening. --Jane Adams

Amazon.com Exclusive Content

Nelson DeMille on Night Fall: An Exclusive Essay

It was a true story, the explosion of TWA Flight 800 off the coast of Long Island in 1996, that inspired Nelson DeMille to write the fictional Night Fall. Read this Amazon.com exclusive essay for insight into the coincidences that made this tragedy a subject DeMille couldn't ignore.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:26 -0400)

On a Long Island beach at dusk, Bob Mitchell and Janet Whitney conduct their illicit love affair in front of a video camera, set to record each steamy moment. Suddenly a terrible explosion lights up the sky. Grabbing the camera, the couple flees as approaching police cars speed toward the scene. Five years later, the crash of Flight 800 has been attributed to a mechanical mal-function. But for John Corey and Kate Mayfield, both members of the Elite Anti-terrorist Task Force, the case is not closed. Suspecting a cover-up at the highest levels and disobeying orders, they set out to find the one piece of evidence that will prove the truth about what really happened to Flight 800-the videotape that shows a couple making love on the beach and the last moments of the doomed airliner.… (more)

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,448,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible