The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

The Historian (2005)

by Elizabeth Kostova

17,249677100 (3.68)4 / 647
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (SandSing7)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (GodOfTheAnthill)
    GodOfTheAnthill: Both mystery novels with a similar tone and atmosphere
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (clamairy)
    clamairy: Similar themes of magic and academia.
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (bethielouwho)
    Dracula [Norton Critical Edition] by Bram Stoker (Nubiannut)
    Labyrinth by Kate Mosse (Johanna11)
    Freedom and Necessity by Steven Brust (tessac)
    tessac: Freedom & Necessity is epistolic in nature so if that appealed to you in The Historian, I heartily recommend F & N. There are no vampires but, like The Historian, the fantastical is subtly woven into the story.
    Dracula the Un-Dead by Dacre Stoker (Joles)
    Joles: Both of these books share a great deal of research and they keep you speeding through one chapter to the next. Oh...and they both have Dracula....
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (Johanna11)
    The Quick: A Novel by Lauren Owen (ablachly)
    The Grand Complication by Allen Kurzweil (FFortuna)
    Nocturne by Syrie James (Joles)
    The Stress of Her Regard by Tim Powers (MyriadBooks)
    Dracula, My Love: The Secret Journals of Mina Harker by Syrie James (Joles)
    Gospel by Wilton Barnhardt (kullfarr)
    The Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber (nicchic)
    Lord of the Dead by Tom Holland (QueenOfDenmark)
    QueenOfDenmark: I've just started reading The Vampyre but right from the start it put me in mind of Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian. Lord Byron is used as the main character in Tom Holland's The Vampyre to interesting effect while count Dracula is the more traditional vampire hero in Kostova's Historian.… (more)
    The Book of Love by Kathleen McGowan (nicchic)
    The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (Johanna11)
    The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman (Othemts)

English (656)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  All (675)
This is such a superbly constructed novel, the framework being told by the narrator, never named, but the majority of the book in epistolary form through the letters and journals of her father and her father's professor, with some additional letters from her mother. It perhaps this, along with the pacing, which gives the book a slightly old-fashioned feel, but this certainly isn't a cause for complaint. The way that the narrator reads something in her father's journal that he has discovered in a letter from his professor

This superbly constructed novel follows the teenage daughter of a US diplomat as she seeks to unravel the dark secret that obsesses her father, using his journals which record events of some years before she was born, including notes of letters of his college professor. This nested style might have been awkward, but is handled with such deft skill that it flows beautifully. The epistolary form, and perhaps something in the pacing, gives the book a slightly old fashioned air, but this is certainly not a complaint. Rather, Kostova is happy to enthrall the reader gradually with exquisite detail and carefully paced reveals instead of the fast jump cuts more common in a modern thriller.

This pace, and the space of the 720 pages, allows for some wonderful travelogue throughout Europe – Sophia, Budapest, Oxford, rural Romania – and to Istanbul, that is exquisite and never superfluous, along with the exploration of some interesting themes, among them the shifting patterns of political and religious power in Eastern Europe over the last half millennium and an aside on the horrific possibilities if someone like Stalin were able to become immortal, and a continued revelling in a love of books and learning – although this is made rather uncomfortable when we find who the historian of the title actually refers to.

(Slight spoiler – but only if you have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT THIS BOOK IS ABOUT)

For me, one of the books great achievements is to deny one of the central themes of Stoker's original Dracula, where the overriding metaphor is of the contamination of foreign blood. In The Historian, almost all the pivotal figures are of mixed heritage – Professor Rossi is Italian-English, and in his daughter Romanian is added to the mix, and other characters are Italian-Turkish and even Scots-Hungarian Gypsy – and this mixing of cultures and ancestry is foregrounded as a strength.

One last word on the audiobook to which I listened. This was performed superbly by Justine Ayre as the narrator and Paul Michael as everyone else. A book can be made or destroyed in the audio form by the quality of the voice talent, and here Paul Michael especially did a wonderful job, each voice distinct and unique and the accents superb.
1 vote Pezski | Jun 8, 2017 |
Molto bello, magari un po' pesante e prolisso in alcuni punti. La prima parte soprattutto mi ha fatto sbadigliare più volte.. Nel complesso però un ottimo libro. ( )
  Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |
Yes, I am really just getting around to reading this book. “The Historian,” has been on my bookshelf for many years and I finally picked it up and read it. It seemed like it took forever to get through it. At a whopping 700 pages, this is a book you have to really be invested in and spend some time with. That being said, if the book had been shorter and not so drawn out, it would have been much better!!!!
The author is very meticulous, too meticulous really and you have to read it slowly. The gist of the book is the search for the tomb of Dracula. Was he a real person? Is he still alive? Will they discover the truth?
The author takes you to many different countries in search for clues to this mystery and her descriptions of these places really make you feel like you are there. I loved how the historians visited so many different libraries all over the world, discovering ancient books and interesting artifacts that serve as clues for their search. I wanted to visit each of these libraries myself to see the beauty the author described. The characters risk their lives and much more trying to uncover secrets from the past.
What I liked most about this book was the characters. They are the heart and soul of the book. They made all the lengthy historical details and drawn out letters worthwhile. The book has a little of everything: romance, history, suspense, mystery, vampire folklore, and the supernatural.
Even though I am not a big fan of historical fiction, I thought overall it was a good book. I recommend it for history lovers and those who are interested in Dracula or vampires. While my review may seem a little negative, I really did enjoy the book and had to read until the end so I would know what really happened. As a lover of literary fiction, I can honestly say that Kostova is an amazing and very talented writer. ( )
  amanaceerdh | May 3, 2017 |
This was one of the most exciting books I've ever read. I got completely swept up in the story, on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next. It's a very long book and I was simultaneously wondering how I could handle not knowing how it was going to end for such a long time and not wanting it to be over. The characters were fully-formed and interesting, but what really drove the book was the exciting action.

I thought it had a pretty much perfect ending, but then it had an epilogue that I thought fucked it up, so that was my only criticism of the book. But other than that I completely loved it. ( )
  selfcallednowhere | Apr 25, 2017 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, much to my surprise. If the synopsis on the back of the CD had said anything about Dracula and a search for his tomb, I would have put it down and missed out on some great entertainment. I highly recommend listening to this book rather than reading it, because there are 8 readers, if my recollection is right, and they are all super. Many voices, accents, dialects. It makes the story come alive.

Historians are looking for the tomb of Dracula for various reasons, and studying the history of the period. Vlad Dracula really did exist in the 1400s and was unspeakably cruel. The author of the first Dracula book made him into a vampire, which he wasn't in life, unless you believe in that sort of thing.

Although the book is fiction, it seems to draw some from actual history and the author makes it all sound authenic. I don't read books about vampires, and this wasn't so much about those as about the people searching and their lives and reasons for things they did.

It's a good read for anyone and wasn't horror, which I don't read. Like many popular stories today, it was an escape, slightly from reality, but most of the book was about people, not vampires. I found the details fascinating. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
Vlad Lit: don't flirt with it, just sink your teeth right in

When, after many other allusions to historians and historicism, Kostova introduced a character whose last name is Hristova, I was tempted to run out to a pharmacy for some antihristomine.

What's unfortunate about this overload is that the book -- which seems to want to do for historians what ''Possession'' did for literary scholars -- is otherwise the kind of wonderfully paced yarn that would make a suitable companion to a deck chair, a patch of sun and some socklessness.

In a ponderous, many-layered book that is exquisitely versed in the art of stalling, Ms. Kostova steeps her readers in Dracula lore. She visits many libraries, monasteries, relics of the Byzantine and Ottoman empires, crypts, restaurants, scholars and folk-song-singing peasants. Every now and then a mysterious pale, sinister figure will materialize, only to vanish bewilderingly. The book's characters find this a lot more baffling than readers will.

Stuffed with rich, incense-laden cultural history and travelogue, The Historian is a smart, bibliophilic mystery in the same vein (sorry) as A.S. Byatt's Possession--but without all that poetry.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Jun 12, 2005)

Elizabeth Kostovaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Michael, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ram, TitiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
How these papers have been placed in sequence will be
made manifest in the reading of them. All needless matters have
been eliminated, so that a history almost at variance with the
possibilities of later-day belief may stand forth as simple fact.
There is throughout no statement of past things wherein memory
may err, for all the records chosen are exactly contemporary,
given from the stand-points and within the range
of knowledge of those who made them.

—Bram Stoker, Dracula, 1897
What sort of place had I come to, and among what kind of
people? What sort of grim adventure was it on which I had
embarked? . . . I began to rub my eyes and pinch myself to see if
I were awake. It all seemed like a horrible nightmare to me, and I
expected that I should suddenly awake, and find myself at home,
with the dawn struggling in through the windows, as I had now
and again felt in the morning after a day of overwork. But my
flesh answered the pinching test, and my eyes were not to be
deceived. I was indeed awake and among the Carpathians. All
I could do now was to be patient, and to wait the coming
of the morning.

—Bram Stoker, Dracula,1897
There was one great tomb more lordly than all the rest; huge it was,
and nobly proportioned. On it was but one word,

DRACULA.

—Bram Stoker, Dracula, 1897.
For my father,
who first told me
some of these stories
A Note To The Reader

The story that follows is one I never intended to commit to paper.
In 1972 I was sixteen—young, my father said, to be traveling with him on his diplomatic missions.
"To you, perceptive reader, I bequeath my history . . ."
"My dear and unfortunate successor . . ."
Please do not combine with any abridged editions of The Historian.

Late one night, exploring her father's library, a young woman finds an ancient book and a cache of yellowing letters addressed ominously to 'My dear and unfortunate successor'. Her discovery plunges her into a world she never dreamed of - a labyrinth where the secrets of her father's past and her mother's mysterious fate connect to an evil hidden in the depths of history. In those few quiet moments, she unwittingly assumes a quest she will discover is her birthright - a hunt for the truth about Vlad the Impaler, the medieval ruler whose barbarous reign formed the basis of the Dracula myth. Deciphering obscure signs and hidden texts, reading codes worked into the fabric of medieval monastic traditions, and evading terrifying adversaries, one woman comes ever closer to the secret of her own past and a confrontation with the very definition of evil.

AR 7.3, 42 Pts
Dracula - alive!
But where to find him today?
Family's search for truth

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316011770, Hardcover)

If your pulse flutters at the thought of castle ruins and descents into crypts by moonlight, you will savor every creepy page of Elizabeth Kostova's long but beautifully structured thriller The Historian. The story opens in Amsterdam in 1972, when a teenage girl discovers a medieval book and a cache of yellowed letters in her diplomat father's library. The pages of the book are empty except for a woodcut of a dragon. The letters are addressed to: "My dear and unfortunate successor." When the girl confronts her father, he reluctantly confesses an unsettling story: his involvement, twenty years earlier, in a search for his graduate school mentor, who disappeared from his office only moments after confiding to Paul his certainty that Dracula--Vlad the Impaler, an inventively cruel ruler of Wallachia in the mid-15th century--was still alive. The story turns out to concern our narrator directly because Paul's collaborator in the search was a fellow student named Helen Rossi (the unacknowledged daughter of his mentor) and our narrator's long-dead mother, about whom she knows almost nothing. And then her father, leaving just a note, disappears also.

As well as numerous settings, both in and out of the East Bloc, Kostova has three basic story lines to keep straight--one from 1930, when Professor Bartolomew Rossi begins his dangerous research into Dracula, one from 1950, when Professor Rossi's student Paul takes up the scent, and the main narrative from 1972. The criss-crossing story lines mirror the political advances, retreats, triumphs, and losses that shaped Dracula's beleaguered homeland--sometimes with the Byzantines on top, sometimes the Ottomans, sometimes the rag-tag local tribes, or the Orthodox church, and sometimes a fresh conqueror like the Soviet Union.

Although the book is appropriately suspenseful and a delight to read--even the minor characters are distinctive and vividly seen--its most powerful moments are those that describe real horrors. Our narrator recalls that after reading descriptions of Vlad burning young boys or impaling "a large family," she tried to forget the words: "For all his attention to my historical education, my father had neglected to tell me this: history's terrible moments were real. I understand now, decades later, that he could never have told me. Only history itself can convince you of such a truth." The reader, although given a satisfying ending, gets a strong enough dose of European history to temper the usual comforts of the closing words. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:22 -0400)

A young woman finds old papers which begin to reveal an ancient and evil plot concerning Vlad the Impaler and the legend of Dracula, which may still be continuing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,239,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible