The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

The Historian (original 2003; edition 2009)

by Elizabeth Kostova

15,731631113 (3.68)4 / 597
Member:underdogrides
Title:The Historian
Authors:Elizabeth Kostova
Info:Back Bay Books (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 720 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (2003)

adventure (58) American (61) Bulgaria (81) Dracula (794) Eastern Europe (192) Europe (154) fantasy (330) fiction (2,131) gothic (148) hardcover (64) historical (211) historical fiction (725) history (345) horror (570) Istanbul (74) literature (57) mystery (411) novel (230) own (111) read (225) Romania (152) supernatural (84) suspense (120) thriller (189) to-read (254) travel (79) Turkey (73) unread (128) vampires (1,655) Vlad the Impaler (202)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (SandSing7)
    The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (GodOfTheAnthill)
    GodOfTheAnthill: Both mystery novels with a similar tone and atmosphere
    The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (TAir)
    Dracula (Norton Critical Edition) by Bram Stoker (Nubiannut)
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (clamairy)
    clamairy: Similar themes of magic and academia.
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (bethielouwho)
    Labyrinth by Kate Mosse (Johanna11)
    Dracula the Un-Dead by Dacre Stoker (Joles)
    Joles: Both of these books share a great deal of research and they keep you speeding through one chapter to the next. Oh...and they both have Dracula....
    Freedom and Necessity by Steven Brust (tessac)
    tessac: Freedom & Necessity is epistolic in nature so if that appealed to you in The Historian, I heartily recommend F & N. There are no vampires but, like The Historian, the fantastical is subtly woven into the story.
    People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks (Johanna11)
    Nocturne by Syrie James (Joles)
    The Quick by Lauren Owen (ablachly)
    Dracula, My Love: The Secret Journals of Mina Harker by Syrie James (Joles)
    The Stress of Her Regard by Tim Powers (MyriadBooks)
    The Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber (nicchic)
    Gospel by Wilton Barnhardt (kullfarr)
    Lord of the Dead by Tom Holland (QueenOfDenmark)
    QueenOfDenmark: I've just started reading The Vampyre but right from the start it put me in mind of Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian. Lord Byron is used as the main character in Tom Holland's The Vampyre to interesting effect while count Dracula is the more traditional vampire hero in Kostova's Historian.… (more)
    The Grand Complication by Allen Kurzweil (FFortuna)
    The Book of Love by Kathleen McGowan (nicchic)
    The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman (Othemts)

English (611)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (629)
I was on and off with this book, but did finally finish it. In some respects, this read like a travelogue in its descriptions of the different places that where the story took place. ( )
  Jim_Sipe | Jul 14, 2014 |
I really wanted to love The Historian, but I couldn't. It's a 400-page story shoved into a 642 page book. Plus, it meandered.

This book has everything; intrigue, romance, books, mystery, bad guys, good guys, folklore, and vampires. Plus historians following the research trail of Vlad Dracula to find his final resting place and kill him really truly this time we mean it dead. There was just too much of it. Too many points of view, too many improbable coincidences, and the vampire himself who is luring historians to him so they can catalogue his vast library of first editions dating back 500 years. It should have been wonderful but it wasn't. ( )
  AuntieClio | Jun 17, 2014 |
I read this book quite a few years ago now, but it is still a book I think of often. It is a long sweeping saga but moves qickly and the history and intrigue in the book made me forever interested in Romania and Eastern Europe. So much so that I recently took a 2 week cruise along the Danube. ( )
  lschoeb | Jun 3, 2014 |
Could barely put this down. If you like historical fiction and vampire tales, this book is for you. The author takes you all over Europe and intertwines historical fact with a vampire tale that will make you wonder. ( )
  vdunn | Apr 30, 2014 |
Quite the page-turner, but with a somewhat dull ending. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good old school Gothic novel though! ( )
  KatieCarella | Apr 12, 2014 |
Vlad Lit: don't flirt with it, just sink your teeth right in

When, after many other allusions to historians and historicism, Kostova introduced a character whose last name is Hristova, I was tempted to run out to a pharmacy for some antihristomine.

What's unfortunate about this overload is that the book -- which seems to want to do for historians what ''Possession'' did for literary scholars -- is otherwise the kind of wonderfully paced yarn that would make a suitable companion to a deck chair, a patch of sun and some socklessness.

In a ponderous, many-layered book that is exquisitely versed in the art of stalling, Ms. Kostova steeps her readers in Dracula lore. She visits many libraries, monasteries, relics of the Byzantine and Ottoman empires, crypts, restaurants, scholars and folk-song-singing peasants. Every now and then a mysterious pale, sinister figure will materialize, only to vanish bewilderingly. The book's characters find this a lot more baffling than readers will.

Stuffed with rich, incense-laden cultural history and travelogue, The Historian is a smart, bibliophilic mystery in the same vein (sorry) as A.S. Byatt's Possession--but without all that poetry.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Jun 12, 2005)

Elizabeth Kostovaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eyre, JustineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Michael, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ram, TitiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schroderus, ArtoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
How these papers have been placed in sequence will be
made manifest in the reading of them. All needless matters have
been eliminated, so that a history almost at variance with the
possibilities of later-day belief may stand forth as simple fact.
There is throughout no statement of past things wherein memory
may err, for all the records chosen are exactly contemporary,
given from the stand-points and within the range
of knowledge of those who made them.

--Bram Stoker, Dracula, 1897
What sort of place had I come to, and among what kind of
people? What sort of grim adventure was it on which I had
embarked? . . . I began to rub my eyes and pinch myself to see if
I were awake. It all seemed like a horrible nightmare to me, and I
expected that I should suddenly awake, and find myself at home,
with the dawn struggling in through the windows, as I had now
and again felt in the morning after a day of overwork. But my
flesh answered the pinching test, and my eyes were not to be
deceived. I was indeed awake and among the Carpathians. All
I could do now was to be patient, and to wait the coming
of the morning.

--Bram Stoker, Dracula,1897
There was one great tomb more lordly than all the rest; huge it was,
and nobly proportioned. On it was but one word,

DRACULA.

--Bram Stoker, Dracula, 1897.
For my father,
who first told me
some of these stories
A Note To The Reader

The story that follows is one I never intended to commit to paper.
In 1972 I was sixteen --- young, my father said, to be traveling with him on his diplomatic missions.
"To you, perceptive reader, I bequeath my history . . ."
"My dear and unfortunate successor . . ."
Please do not combine with any abridged editions of The Historian.

Late one night, exploring her father's library, a young woman finds an ancient book and a cache of yellowing letters addressed ominously to 'My dear and unfortunate successor'. Her discovery plunges her into a world she never dreamed of - a labyrinth where the secrets of her father's past and her mother's mysterious fate connect to an evil hidden in the depths of history. In those few quiet moments, she unwittingly assumes a quest she will discover is her birthright - a hunt for the truth about Vlad the Impaler, the medieval ruler whose barbarous reign formed the basis of the Dracula myth. Deciphering obscure signs and hidden texts, reading codes worked into the fabric of medieval monastic traditions, and evading terrifying adversaries, one woman comes ever closer to the secret of her own past and a confrontation with the very definition of evil.

AR 7.3, 42 Pts
Dracula - alive!
But where to find him today?
Family's search for truth

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316011770, Hardcover)

If your pulse flutters at the thought of castle ruins and descents into crypts by moonlight, you will savor every creepy page of Elizabeth Kostova's long but beautifully structured thriller The Historian. The story opens in Amsterdam in 1972, when a teenage girl discovers a medieval book and a cache of yellowed letters in her diplomat father's library. The pages of the book are empty except for a woodcut of a dragon. The letters are addressed to: "My dear and unfortunate successor." When the girl confronts her father, he reluctantly confesses an unsettling story: his involvement, twenty years earlier, in a search for his graduate school mentor, who disappeared from his office only moments after confiding to Paul his certainty that Dracula--Vlad the Impaler, an inventively cruel ruler of Wallachia in the mid-15th century--was still alive. The story turns out to concern our narrator directly because Paul's collaborator in the search was a fellow student named Helen Rossi (the unacknowledged daughter of his mentor) and our narrator's long-dead mother, about whom she knows almost nothing. And then her father, leaving just a note, disappears also.

As well as numerous settings, both in and out of the East Bloc, Kostova has three basic story lines to keep straight--one from 1930, when Professor Bartolomew Rossi begins his dangerous research into Dracula, one from 1950, when Professor Rossi's student Paul takes up the scent, and the main narrative from 1972. The criss-crossing story lines mirror the political advances, retreats, triumphs, and losses that shaped Dracula's beleaguered homeland--sometimes with the Byzantines on top, sometimes the Ottomans, sometimes the rag-tag local tribes, or the Orthodox church, and sometimes a fresh conqueror like the Soviet Union.

Although the book is appropriately suspenseful and a delight to read--even the minor characters are distinctive and vividly seen--its most powerful moments are those that describe real horrors. Our narrator recalls that after reading descriptions of Vlad burning young boys or impaling "a large family," she tried to forget the words: "For all his attention to my historical education, my father had neglected to tell me this: history's terrible moments were real. I understand now, decades later, that he could never have told me. Only history itself can convince you of such a truth." The reader, although given a satisfying ending, gets a strong enough dose of European history to temper the usual comforts of the closing words. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:58 -0400)

A young woman finds old papers which begin to reveal an ancient and evil plot concerning Vlad the Impaler and the legend of Dracula, which may still be continuing.

Eight editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,496,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible