Differentiating Instruction with Menus:…

Differentiating Instruction with Menus: Science (Grades 6-8)

by Laurie Westphal

206515,329 (4.5)1

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an advance copy of Differentiating Instruction with Menus-Science, Advanced Level menus grades 6-8 by Laurie Westphal. This book is separated into two different parts: Part 1 is All About Menus and Choice and Part 2 is The Menus. Part 1 discusses the importance of choice, how to use menus in the classroom, guidelines for products and rubrics. Part 2 has menus for process skills, life science, earth science and physical science. Current teacher evaluations require differentiation in the classroom for the students and menus are an excellent way of doing that. This book demonstrates how menus allow students to feel more in control, while the teacher is still controlling the choices. There is a lot of work up front if you decide to create your own menus, but if the students are taught how to use the menus, it is a great way to keep the students engaged in the subject matter. This book gives excellent examples of menus and rubrics to use immediately. This book is very teacher-friendly, engaging, and inspiring. I am interested in reading some of the additional titles by this author. As an experienced teacher in many grade levels, I highly recommend this book to any teacher interested in introducing choice and differentiation into their classroom. ( )
  sh7980 | Jun 4, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a great book that I will surely be using in my classroom. I was impressed with the variety of topics addressed as well as the variety of menus offered. The activities are fun and engaging and could be easily modified for students of all needs. I liked that she included rubrics, explanations, clear directions, and activities that include technology. Since our school adopted 1:1 chromebooks for our students, I know these projects are manageable, fun and a great way for students to explore these science topics. I look forward to using these activities in my classroom next year! Thank you! ( )
  KWROLSEN | May 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Differentiating Instruction with Menus: Science (Grades 6-8) by Laurie Westphal is a great resource for teachers looking to change up their instructional methods to be more student directed. While I teach high school I already have ideas of ways to use some of this material and I will most definitely be using the included Project Guidelines as a reference with my students. Having pre-made menus means I can use them the way they are or use them as a jumping off point for my own content. Highly recommend this book. ( )
  hollicolli | May 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Differentiating Instruction with Menus: Science (Grades 6-8) by Laurie Westphal is a book that contains valuable resources. For example, like rubrics and different kinds of menus, and guidelines for products such as skits, speeches, and others. Assignments are given in the book. I would recommend this book to teachers. Westphal did a good job on giving a thorough explanation and formula. ( )
  mindanguyen | May 10, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is a great resource for science projects. It includes menus with worksheets and instructions on how to use each type of menu. It also has rubrics to use for grading. The one drawback for me is that the different assignments in the book are only given one menu each. I would have liked to see different types of menus for each assignment, but it does provide urls that can help students with some of the assignments. Overall, it is a good book to incorporate into a science curriculum. ( )
  albzx6 | May 9, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Laurie Westphal's book Differentiating Instruction With Menus: Science (Grades 6-8) (2nd ed.) is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Laurie Westphal is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Prufrock Press

An edition of this book was published by Prufrock Press.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,047,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible