I, Robot by Isaac Asimov
1001 (42) 20th century (35) American (35) anthology (64) artificial intelligence (52) Asimov (112) classic (101) classics (41) collection (60) ebook (41) fantasy (33) fiction (726) future (37) Isaac Asimov (38) literature (37) made into movie (32) movie (31) novel (54) own (40) paperback (59) read (132) robotics (43) robots (449) science fiction (2,029) series (36) sf (275) sff (85) short stories (322) to-read (130) unread (33)

English (125)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (137)
Tags: Fantasy, Voice Activated, Automatic

Summary: Just like in the movie starring Will Smith, I, Robot is about the 3 Laws of Robotics. I'm not a fan of fantasy or science fiction related books and or movies, but this time i would have to say I enjoyed reading this book and then watching the Will Smith version of the movie. I can watch this and that is about the limit for me. I have NEVER watched the hobbit, harry potter, star war related movies or their books. I just cannot do it.

Personal Reaction: Like I said I enjoy a decent, not to far from home science fiction movie, and I, Robot the movie and the book are about it. I do believe there is some real truth in robots and they will at some point be running a great deal of the world as we know it, but for know humans are needed and will alway be needed as a robot could not replace every human and everything they do.

Extension Ideas: Come up with ideas how robots could never replace a human or the job they do. ( )
  armyflyingguy | Jul 18, 2014 |
Well, it probably comes as no surprise that I thoroughly enjoyed I, Robot. This was my introduction into the genius mind of Isaac Asimov and I'm not going to stop here. I didn't realize until about midway through this book when I started looking at other books by him that this is the first in The Robot Series. The other three novels follow the detective exploits of a human and humanoid robot team so you know that's going on the TRL. As I said in the last entry, this book covers various scenarios in which robots acted outside of their prescribed programming. I liked that the stories were separate yet they had recurring characters and an overarching narrative arch. This kept things moving along and makes the reader invested (only if the author makes the characters likable or interesting which Asimov definitely did). By the end, you get the gist of what he is trying to say and most likely what the remainder of the series will explore: machines making decisions for humanity as a whole. For most, this fills them with a sense of horror that their lives are no longer their own to control. However, for one character in I, Robot this was almost comforting as robots had 'perfect logic and reason' and since one of the fundamental laws of robotics is to keep humans safe they will always make decisions in our favor. I highly recommend that you read this one to get the entire picture because I know I'm not doing it near enough justice. ( )
  AliceaP | Jul 9, 2014 |
Upon reading this book again, I am still impressed at how smart it is. Once again very different from the movie (which I saw first), but very smart and witty. Worth reading!

2009 Review:

This is a novel that goes into the "Completely different from the movie, but I like them both" category. Although this book didn't share much more than a title, names of characters, and topical references to robots--it was a great book.

I was surprised by how easily engrossed I was in the book. The three laws of robotics are developed and tested in this book, and how robots deal with laws that contradict each other.

It was a really interesting book. Highly recommended--even though the movie is completely different. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

2009 Review:

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Written as a collection of flashbacks and stories from the past, each chapter is a short story. The book bears little resemblance to the movie beyond the title, the three laws of robotics, and a few of the character names. ( )
  amkj | Jul 4, 2014 |

Isaac Asimovprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berkey, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cartier, EddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To John W. Campbell, Jr., who godfathered the robots
Robbie:
"Ninety-eight — ninety-nine — one hundred."
Runaround:
It was one of Gregory Powell's favorite platitudes that nothing was to be gained from excitement, so when Mike Donovan came leaping down the stairs toward him, red hair matted with perspiration, Powell frowned.
Reason:
Half a year later, the boys had changed their minds.
Catch That Rabbit:
The vacation was longer than two weeks.
Liar!
Alfred Lanning lit his cigar carefully, but the tips of his fingers were trembling slightly.
The Three Laws of Robotics
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

In dieser Veröffentlichung sind die Erzählungen zusammengefaßt, die in den Bänden "Ich, der Robot", "Geliebter Roboter" und "Der Zweihundertjährige" erschienen sind, entstanden zwischen 1940 und 1976.
Contents:

Little Lost Robot
Escape!
Evidence
The Evitable Conflict

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553294385, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:54 -0400)

In this collection, one of the great classics of science fiction, Asimov set out the principles of robot behavior that we know as the Three Laws of Robotics. Here are stories of robots gone mad, mind-reading robots, robots with a sense of humor, robot politicians, and robots who secretly run the world, all told with Asimov's trademark dramatic blend of science fact and science fiction.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,539,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible