I, Robot by Isaac Asimov

I, Robot (original 1950; edition 2008)

by Isaac Asimov

Member:alu042
Title:I, Robot
Authors:Isaac Asimov
Info:Spectra (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:eBooks, Your library (inactive)
Tags:fiction

I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (1950)

English (159)  Spanish (6)  Swedish (2)  French (2)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All (175)
It took me awhile to get into this book, but once I did I couldn't put it down! Now I want to read the rest of the Robot series.

It was interesting to read a science fiction book that was written in 1950, and to contrast Asimov's vision of the possible future then, to what life in the 21st century is in reality. I can't say much without giving away the plot of the book, but Asimov saw humans developing robots, but he apparently didn't foresee humans developing computers that could go anywhere, from sitting on a desk to being held in the palm of the hand or worn on the body. So that was interesting. I wished I could have a conversation with him and ask him how he missed that. I guess he also didn't foresee the United States scaling back its space program, or the backlash against science, although there is some of that in this book.

I found the book to be full of scientific jargon with which I'm not familiar (not being a scientist), but I am familiar with psychology, and that helped in understanding the book. That's what made it slow going for me in the beginning - the amount of scientific and mathematical information. But it was worth reading through that to get to the good part!

If you enjoy science and math, or even if you just enjoy a good story, this is a good way to pass the time and contemplate the human/machine dilemma. ( )
  harrietbrown | Jun 24, 2017 |
Nothing like the movie (which was excellent), but still a fantastic read. Any sci-fi fan should have this on their shelf. ( )
  yrthegood1staken | Feb 28, 2017 |
A classic that continues to earn it! Well worth the read as it has timeless qualities even in 2017. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2017 |
A good introduction to the 3 laws of robotics/ (I think this was the first book to use them.) It's not a novel - just an inter-related series of short stories.
Asimov added some other robot stories later on, seek them out if you like this one. ( )
  CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
cool, but typical Asimov humanism ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To John W. Campbell, Jr., who godfathered the robots
Robbie:
"Ninety-eight — ninety-nine — one hundred."
Runaround:
It was one of Gregory Powell's favorite platitudes that nothing was to be gained from excitement, so when Mike Donovan came leaping down the stairs toward him, red hair matted with perspiration, Powell frowned.
Reason:
Half a year later, the boys had changed their minds.
Catch That Rabbit:
The vacation was longer than two weeks.
Liar!
Alfred Lanning lit his cigar carefully, but the tips of his fingers were trembling slightly.
The Three Laws of Robotics
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553294385, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:51 -0400)

In this collection, one of the great classics of science fiction, Asimov set out the principles of robot behavior that we know as the Three Laws of Robotics. Here are stories of robots gone mad, mind-reading robots, robots with a sense of humor, robot politicians, and robots who secretly run the world, all told with Asimov's trademark dramatic blend of science fact and science fiction.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,175,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible