I, Robot by Isaac Asimov
Title:I, Robot
Authors:Isaac Asimov
Info:Grafton (1968), Edition: reprint, Paperback, 206 pages
Rating:*****

I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (1950)

English (137)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (149)
So good. A very excellent mix of science and humanity, with some surprisingly chilling and thoughtful stories. It really supports my view that science fiction is the most human-oriented literature out there. It always gets at human nature, which I think is so cool.

Plus, robots.

Susan Calvin is very cool, but my favorites are Donavon and Powell. I love how they kept reappearing, and then when there was a finally a story that brought them ALL together... it was so good.

Robbie -- A rather touching story, but also kind of gives me the creeps at the same time.
Runaround -- Didn't really catch my interest.
Reason -- Looooooooved this one. I would love to see a very atmospheric movie based on this story alone.
Catch That Rabbit -- Interesting, but not really sure I got it.
Liar! -- SO. GOOD. Loved it.
Little Lost Robot -- Quite liked this one too. Very clever.
Escape! -- This one was very cool too. Difficult to understand at times, but awesome.
Evidence -- Very, very interesting. Very cool.
The Evitable Conflict -- A cool one to end it all with. At first I found it very, very dull, but the ending made up for it. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Aug 13, 2015 |
As histórias até são interessantes e trabalham bem a premissa da subjectividade das 3 regras da robótica, mas tornam-se algo repetitivas. Confesso que gosto mais da adaptação ao cinema que destas histórias propriamente ditas. ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
The stories in this book are like puzzles, where the author puts the protagonist in some situation he can't get out of, then shows how to get him out. They're not really my cup of tea, but very well done. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Jun 4, 2015 |
I hadn't realized that this was a collection of short stories, rather than a novel. The primary tie between each story was the three laws of robotics. I think my favorite was the one about the lost robot. That was brilliant and the robot psychologist's attempt to "find" the robot was an exercise in logical superiority. All in all, this a great book and the genius of Asimov makes science fiction seem more like science. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
Read again after all these decades for a group discussion. The stories are mostly still fascinating and fun. Finally I looked at a synopsis of the Will Smith movie, and I'm going "huh?" If I watched movies I suppose I'd be kind of interested, since he can't spoil the book because he didn't even use the book. But I don't. Now, if they made a thoughtful movie of [b:The Bicentennial Man and Other Stories|70787|The Bicentennial Man and Other Stories|Isaac Asimov|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170745837s/70787.jpg|4186] I might be more interested. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |

Isaac Asimovprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berkey, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cartier, EddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To John W. Campbell, Jr., who godfathered the robots
Robbie:
"Ninety-eight — ninety-nine — one hundred."
Runaround:
It was one of Gregory Powell's favorite platitudes that nothing was to be gained from excitement, so when Mike Donovan came leaping down the stairs toward him, red hair matted with perspiration, Powell frowned.
Reason:
Half a year later, the boys had changed their minds.
Catch That Rabbit:
The vacation was longer than two weeks.
Liar!
Alfred Lanning lit his cigar carefully, but the tips of his fingers were trembling slightly.
The Three Laws of Robotics
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

In dieser Veröffentlichung sind die Erzählungen zusammengefaßt, die in den Bänden "Ich, der Robot", "Geliebter Roboter" und "Der Zweihundertjährige" erschienen sind, entstanden zwischen 1940 und 1976.
Contents:

Little Lost Robot
Escape!
Evidence
The Evitable Conflict

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553294385, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:51 -0400)

In this collection, one of the great classics of science fiction, Asimov set out the principles of robot behavior that we know as the Three Laws of Robotics. Here are stories of robots gone mad, mind-reading robots, robots with a sense of humor, robot politicians, and robots who secretly run the world, all told with Asimov's trademark dramatic blend of science fact and science fiction.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,097,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible