There Is a Cure for Diabetes: The Tree of…

There Is a Cure for Diabetes: The Tree of Life 21-Day+Program

by Gabriel Cousens

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Mounds of statistics and numbers relating to the global diabetic epidemic...the most unusual of which is that the us is ranked third behind india and china.

The authors research conclude that after about twenty years of westernized processed food exposure,and the culture of death, the indigenous populations develop diabetes and that this happens in country after country with non whites in those country's being hit dispaportionately ...with greater frequencey.

Next given are some reasons why the disease is at epidemic proportions, some of which include toxic chemicals, processed, cooked, pasturized and irradiated foods, heavy metals, vaccinations, smoking, all contributes to this accelerated aging disease.

Chapter three is a comprehensive theory of diabetes with some showing that lifestyled, vitamin and mineral defiencies, lack of sleep, lack of excersize, and stress contribute.

One of the better things that I like about the book is the information on the clients, the detailed explanation on how to use the program and the meriade of substances that can be used to supplement your nutritional program, the spiritual and psychology aspects included. And the fact that the author uses the program himself the stay healthy...

People shoud remember that this is yet only one cure of many and that this program may not work for those individuals who have self defeating ideas, like "there is no cure for diabetes", " All foods and beverages can fit into a healthy diet", "everything in moderation". You should know your limits before embarking on any plan that may change your lifestyle radically. ( )
  doowatt34 | Jul 28, 2008 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My husband has diabetes and we both read this book. Fortunately, we've both already done lots of reading on this topic, otherwise we might have thought the only way the "cure" diabetes is to follow the diet the author recommends.

The first part of this book has a lot of statistics and data regarding the increase of diabetes worldwide. Although, I believe the author is being completely truthful in reporting the facts, he also adds his own speculation about why these increases are occuring. In a few places he contradicts himself. It is obvious he is trying to set the stage for the second half of the book.

The second half is all about the radical vegan diet the author proposes as the "cure." I've no doubt the diet causes the symptoms of diabetes to go away, but once one returns to a sustainable diet the symptoms most likely will also. A newly diagnosed diabetic should consult their doctor or nutritionist about a reasonable diet and lifestyle that will help keep their diabetes symptoms under control. ( )
1 vote publicjill | Jun 9, 2008 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Very interesting from a holistic point of view, however the science and arguments appear extremely selectively chosen. They were neither convincing nor readily credible. Overall, while intriguing from a thesis approach and methodology, the actual recommendations weren't "meaty" enough to sell the lifestyle. ( )
2 vote randirousseau | May 24, 2008 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am not diabetic but many relatives and close friends are and I am concerned about preventing insulin resistance and diabetes in myself. I am also someone who is very interested in nutrition and is currently studying to become a dietitian. This book has some interesting ideas for those who have found their type 2 diabetes difficult to control through other methods, but it is an extreme program that won't appeal to most diabetics and is simply unnecessary for the majority of people. As a previous reviewer wrote, most diabetics can improve their health through a balanced, moderate diet - I have a hard time believing most people need a mostly-raw, entirely vegan diet in order to bring their blood sugar into check. If this was true, why would so many diabetics be having luck with the Low-Glycemic Diet or the South Beach Diet? Everyone's body is different, and this plan may well save the life of somebody out there. But the average Joe (even the average health nut Joe!) will have a hard time adhering to this ultra-strict regimen. Most people do not have the resources or support to eat such a specific and restricted diet, sadly, and someone who does this diet without some knowledge of nutrition could risk malnourishment. My other criticism of this book is that it reads largely like an ad for the author's "Tree of Life" program, which causes me to further question its legitimacy. If you are looking for a radical way to change your lifestyle, lose weight, balance your blood sugar, and lower your cholesterol - This may indeed be an approach worth considering... if everything else you've tried has failed. But from what I know a good doctor, a gym membership, and a few appointments with a knowledgeable dietitian would work just as well to get most people on the road to improving their health. ( )
2 vote twostepsfwd | May 20, 2008 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is divided into two parts. The first part is a comprehensive guide to diabetes. It is very helpful to a newly diagnosed diabetic, explaining blood glucose levels and various tests and results. This helps both type 1 and type 2 diabetics in understanding the medical jargon. It also informs the reader of other health factors that can affect diabetics.
The second part of the book is the authors theory on the "tree of life" program. This highly specialized diet is said to be a nature cure for diabetes. However I feel the need to point out that the clinical human trial that is used only had 11 participants in it. Also while it does not specify so, it appears that these individuals were type 2 diabetics. The diet that is included in the book is made up of using all natural products. It is extremely high in fruits, fiber and various beans. In order to follow this diet one would have to spend all their time shopping for these ingredients and then blending them to make your meals that there would be no time left for anything else. It would require extreme willpower to convert to this 21 day Tree of life program-- not to mention the will to keep it up for life!!
Overall I find this book to be ridiculous. While the first part is informative, the second part is so out there. It does not spell out to the reader that in reality this program is only going to work for a person that is extremely disciplined and has type 2 diabetes. And reality is that many people with type 2 diabetes can reduce their need for insulin or oral medications by eating a normal healthy diet without going to such extremes as this book would suggest. ( )
3 vote kathyw | May 20, 2008 |

"Presents a breakthrough approach that reverses diabetes to a physiology of health and well-being by resetting the genetic expression of a person's DNA through green juice fasting and a 100% organic, nutrient-dense, vegan, low-glycemic, low-insulin-scoring, and high-mineral diet of living foods in the first 21 days"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

There is a Cure for Diabetes by Gabriel Cousens was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,411,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible