dismiss

Life of Pi (2001)

by Yann Martel

37,87392130 (3.91)2 / 1217
Pi Patel, having spent an idyllic childhood in Pondicherry, India, as the son of a zookeeper, sets off with his family at the age of sixteen to start anew in Canada, but his life takes a marvelous turn when their ship sinks in the Pacific, leaving him adrift on a raft with a 450-pound Bengal tiger for company.… (more)
Recently added byNathanielStoll, Ahdom, HAUMC, gnatrich, CassBayes, hidalgoe, Narziss, Arina40, emcl, private library
    Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (tandah)
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (JFDR)
    The Elephant's Journey by José Saramago (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books involve an exotic animal (a tiger and an elephant) and a young man who journeys with them. Both have a spiritual undertone.
    Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowat (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Both are Canadian survival stories, involve animals, are dark at times but never depressing.
    The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books contain elements of magical realism and tigers!
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    Mr. Vertigo by Paul Auster (Smiler69)
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (Hedgepeth)
    The Elephant Keeper by Christopher Nicholson (Booksloth)
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Both are graphic stories about (in part) how people deal with trauma. Narrative style is also similar.
    Max and the Cats by Moacyr Scliar (JGKC)
    In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick (BIzard)
    From the Mouth of the Whale by Sjón (rrmmff2000)
    The Dolphin People: A Novel (P.S.) by Torsten Krol (Booksloth)
    I Am an Executioner: Love Stories by Rajesh Parameswaran (FFortuna)
    We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee (Smiler69)
    Baudolino by Umberto Eco (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Narrating reality or imagination?
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (sturlington)
    Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (sipthereader)
    sipthereader: A true story of survival at sea.
    Nothing by Janne Teller (Freiesleben)

Asia (8)
Canada (40)

English (878)  Dutch (14)  German (4)  Italian (4)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (915)
  Oakfairy | Jul 8, 2020 |
paperback
  mikeemcg | Jun 28, 2020 |
The ending of this book put me into a bit of a mental crisis.

The first 2/3 of the book are beautiful, sad, brutal-ish, and oddly filled with hope? While that ending does a full 180 and makes it more tragic, more real, and forces your head to be filled with too many thoughts to comprehend. I'm obviously not an expert on Classics but I believe this is exactly what a classic is supposed to make you feel.

“Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous possessive love that grabs at what it can.”

I definitely do not recommend watching the movie before reading this. The movie is okay but this book brings so much more to the table. Plus the movie removed one of my favorite scenes soo...

“You might think I lost all hope at that point. I did. And as a result I perked up and felt much better.”

I will say, at first there were some points where I thought about dropping the book but (thankfully) I couldn't because at the time this was a mandatory read for one of my classes. It's hard to enjoy a book you're forced to read in school but I ended up liking this one quite a bit, even if I did struggle through the beginning. I was literally yelling "Come on!!! Just get stranded already!!!". Seriously though, don't let that lengthy start discourage you from continuing the book.

I'm not a religious person but at times even I was touched by his faith, since it was the only thing he really had out in the sea. Also, this is kind of irrelevant, but the tiger was cute... Dangerous, yes, but cute. I might have gotten a little attached to him. ( )
  Kat.Nova | Jun 27, 2020 |
So, I'm reading this book and really quite enjoying it. Love the point that why on earth should animals want to be out in the wild if there is any viable option. Me too. Please do not put me out in the wild, even for my own good. Even because we are animals and that is our natural habitat, out in the wild. If I want to see out in the wild, I will do so on TV narrated by Attenborough. I'm sure that would be the preference of your average beast as well.

Where was I? Yes, reading along, enjoying, then all of a sudden towards the end it transpires this book isn't true!!! It's made up. Am I especially gullible or did other people think it was true too? I was so disappointed.

Not for the first time. Has this ever happened to anybody? I went through a The Bill watching period - all Australians do, what can I say. Well, I thought for the first months it was real.Sort of like reality TV but more real. Like a particularly well-written documentary. I was so disappointed when I found it was people pretending to be policemen. I'm really hoping this has happened to somebody else. Confess, please. I don't want to be the only person ever who thought that The Bill was real.

Um. The queue for selling me bridges is over there. To the right. Next to the line of people who have crown jewels to show me. ( )
  bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
Beautiful descriptions. A great companion to the movie. ( )
  Picabol | Jun 10, 2020 |
The story is engaging and the characters attractively zany. Piscine Molitor Patel (named after a family friend's favourite French swimming pool) grows up in Pondicherry, a French-speaking part of India, where his father runs the local zoo. Pi, Hindu-born, has a talent for faith and sees nothing wrong with being converted both to Islam and to Christianity. Pi and his brother understand animals intimately, but their father impresses on them the dangers of anthropomorphism: invade an animal's territory, and you will quickly find that nearly every creature is dangerous
added by dovydas | editThe Guardian, Aida Edemariam (Oct 23, 2002)

Granted, it may not qualify as ''a story that will make you believe in God,'' as one character describes it. But it could renew your faith in the ability of novelists to invest even the most outrageous scenario with plausible life -- although sticklers for literal realism, poor souls, will find much to carp at.

Martel, Yannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Targo, LindaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torjanac, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torjanac, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
à mes parents et à mon frère
My suffering left me sad and gloomy.
This book was born as I was hungry. (Author's Note)
The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity — it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is but the passing shadow of a cloud.
Evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out. The main battlefield for good is not the open ground of the public arena but the small clearing of each heart.
I know what you want. You want a story that won't surprise you. That will confirm what you already know. That won't make you see higher or further or differently. You want a flat story. An immobile story. You want dry, yeastless factuality.
Animals in the wild lead lives of compulsion and necessity within an unforgiving social hierarchy in an environment where the supply of fear is high and the supply of food is low and where territory must constantly be defended and parasites forever endured.
If you take two steps toward God, God runs toward you
This is the book. Please do not combine with the film.

After the sinking of a cargo ship, a solitary lifeboat remains bobbing on the wild blue Pacific. The only survivors from the wreck are a sixteen-year-old boy named Pi, a hyena, a wounded zebra, an orangutan—and a 450-pound royal bengal tiger.
-Amazon
Boat on the ocean
Was there really a tiger?
We will never know.
(mamajoan)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Yann Martel's book Life of Pi was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

3 2018

Canongate Books

3 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 184195392X, 1841958492, 1847676014

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,942,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible