Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Life of Pi (2001)

by Yann Martel

36,00389030 (3.92)2 / 1178
    Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (tandah)
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (JFDR)
    The Elephant's Journey by José Saramago (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books involve an exotic animal (a tiger and an elephant) and a young man who journeys with them. Both have a spiritual undertone.
    Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowat (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Both are Canadian survival stories, involve animals, are dark at times but never depressing.
    The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books contain elements of magical realism and tigers!
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    Mr. Vertigo by Paul Auster (Smiler69)
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (Hedgepeth)
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Both are graphic stories about (in part) how people deal with trauma. Narrative style is also similar.
    The Elephant Keeper by Christopher Nicholson (Booksloth)
    I Am an Executioner: Love Stories by Rajesh Parameswaran (FFortuna)
    Baudolino by Umberto Eco (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another story where the dividing line between the narrator's reality and imagination is purposely difficult to resolve.
    The Dolphin People: A Novel (P.S.) by Torsten Krol (Booksloth)
    The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios by Yann Martel (meggyweg)
    Max and the Cats by Moacyr Scliar (JGKC)
    In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick (BIzard)
    From the Mouth of the Whale by Sjón (rrmmff2000)
    We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee (Smiler69)
    Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (sipthereader)
    sipthereader: A true story of survival at sea.
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (Smiler69)

Asia (6)
Canada (40)

English (859)  Dutch (13)  German (5)  Italian (4)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (896)
A shipwrecked boy has a tiger in his lifeboat.

2.5/4 (Okay).

The beginning and end of the book are good, but most of the story - the actual survival stuff and tiger training - was a chore to read. Maybe I would have liked it better if I hadn't already seen the movie. This is a rare instance of a movie based on a book making the book more-or-less obsolete. ( )
  comfypants | Nov 13, 2018 |
DNF at 30%
  ktshpd | Oct 22, 2018 |
I read Life of Pi because I've always heard it was a good read and I agree with that after reading it. What I liked most about it was how it was set up, the beginning tells you the story being told is a look back on it from years after it happened, gives back ground, then delivers the sea tale, and the finally the huge twist that completely changes the readers perspective on the book. I didn't see the twist coming at all and I enjoyed that even though I felt somewhat upset that this incredible story might not be what it seems.

wellreadcatlady | Oct 4, 2018 |
I think this would be a good read aloud book for a whole class. I think that there is enough adventure in it to keep the kids engaged and I also think it would foster a lot of different conversations because it is kinda a deeper book. ( )
  s_cat1 | Oct 1, 2018 |
Finally broke down and read this. I loved it, except for the ending. I can't decide if it was perfect or all wrong. I'm inclining to the all wrong camp.

Addendum: I've been thinking about that ending for a few years now, and I officially hate the ending. But hey, that's just me. It's still a good book. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
The story is engaging and the characters attractively zany. Piscine Molitor Patel (named after a family friend's favourite French swimming pool) grows up in Pondicherry, a French-speaking part of India, where his father runs the local zoo. Pi, Hindu-born, has a talent for faith and sees nothing wrong with being converted both to Islam and to Christianity. Pi and his brother understand animals intimately, but their father impresses on them the dangers of anthropomorphism: invade an animal's territory, and you will quickly find that nearly every creature is dangerous
added by dovydas | editThe Guardian, Aida Edemariam (Oct 23, 2002)

Granted, it may not qualify as ''a story that will make you believe in God,'' as one character describes it. But it could renew your faith in the ability of novelists to invest even the most outrageous scenario with plausible life -- although sticklers for literal realism, poor souls, will find much to carp at.

Martel, Yannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Targo, LindaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torjanac, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torjanac, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
à mes parents et à mon frère
My suffering left me sad and gloomy.
This book was born as I was hungry. (Author's Note)
The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity — it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is but the passing shadow of a cloud.
Evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out. The main battlefield for good is not the open ground of the public arena but the small clearing of each heart.
I know what you want. You want a story that won't surprise you. That will confirm what you already know. That won't make you see higher or further or differently. You want a flat story. An immobile story. You want dry, yeastless factuality.
Animals in the wild lead lives of compulsion and necessity within an unforgiving social hierarchy in an environment where the supply of fear is high and the supply of food is low and where territory must constantly be defended and parasites forever endured.
If you take two steps toward God, God runs toward you
This is the book. Please do not combine with the film.

After the sinking of a cargo ship, a solitary lifeboat remains bobbing on the wild blue Pacific. The only survivors from the wreck are a sixteen-year-old boy named Pi, a hyena, a wounded zebra, an orangutan—and a 450-pound royal bengal tiger.
-Amazon
Boat on the ocean
Was there really a tiger?
We will never know.
(mamajoan)

Winner of the 2002 Man Booker Prize for Fiction Pi Patel is an unusual boy. The son of a zookeeper, he has an encyclopedic knowledge of animal behavior, a fervent love of stories, and practices not only his native Hinduism, but also Christianity and Islam. When Pi is sixteen, his family emigrates from India to North America aboard a Japanese cargo ship, along with their zoo animals bound for new homes. The ship sinks. Pi finds himself alone in a lifeboat, his only companions a hyena, an orangutan, a wounded zebra, and Richard Parker, a 450-pound Bengal tiger. Soon the tiger has dispatched all but Pi, whose fear, knowledge, and cunning allow him to coexist with Richard Parker for 227 days lost at sea. When they finally reach the coast of Mexico, Richard Parker flees to the jungle, never to be seen again. The Japanese authorities who interrogate Pi refuse to believe his story and press him to tell them "the truth." After hours of coercion, Pi tells a second story, a story much less fantastical, much more conventional-but is it more true? Life of Pi is at once a realistic, rousing adventure and a meta-tale of survival that explores the redemptive power of storytelling and the transformative nature of fiction. It's a story, as one character puts it, to make you believe in God. Publisher Fact Sheet. A fabulist novel that combines the delight of Kipling's Just So Stories with the metaphysical adventure of Jonah and the Whale.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Yann Martel's book Life of Pi was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

3 1917

Canongate Books

3 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 184195392X, 1841958492, 1847676014

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,209,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible