Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Life of Pi (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Yann Martel

32,19878823 (3.92)2 / 1027
Member:LianaCat
Title:Life of Pi
Authors:Yann Martel
Info:Mariner Books (2003), Paperback, 326 pages

Life of Pi by Yann Martel (2001)

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (JFDR)
    The Elephant's Journey by José Saramago (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books involve an exotic animal (a tiger and an elephant) and a young man who journeys with them. Both have a spiritual undertone, though "Elephant's Journey" is funnier.
    Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (tandah)
    Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowat (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Both are Canadian survival stories, involve animals, are dark at times but never depressing.
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    Mr Vertigo by Paul Auster (Smiler69)
    The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books contain elements of magical realism and tigers!
    The Elephant Keeper by Christopher Nicholson (Booksloth)
    I Am an Executioner: Love Stories by Rajesh Parameswaran (FFortuna)
    The Dolphin People: A Novel (P.S.) by Torsten Krol (Booksloth)
    We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee (Smiler69)
    The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios by Yann Martel (meggyweg)
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Both are graphic stories about (in part) how people deal with trauma. Narrative style is also similar.
    Max and the Cats by Moacyr Scliar (JGKC)
    Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (sturlington)
    From the Mouth of the Whale by Sjón (rrmmff2000)
    Unbroken : a World War II story of survival, resilience, and redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (sipthereader)
    sipthereader: A true story of survival at sea.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (Hedgepeth)
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (Smiler69)
    In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick (BIzard)

Unread books (1,130)

English (757)  Dutch (12)  German (5)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Russian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (791)
I read this in grade ten for an English assignment. I don't remember too much about the actual novel but I do remember that I really liked the book. ( )
  momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
I began this book expecting it to be a satisfying read. At first I was, but then I began to retract that impression. Instead, I was greatly impressed. The story of a boy on a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger is nothing short of awe-inspiring, but combine that with a multitude of days lost out at sea, then it's really a story about faith and miracles. You have to read it through to the end to truly understand the meaning of the book, and once you do, it will give you an entirely new perspective on the story, and life, as a whole.

Life of Pi is a simple story about survival, but also a complex story about spirituality. Is it okay to believe in three gods from three different religions at the same time? Or would it be better to be an atheist? What is it that keeps the human spirit going even in the face of mortal danger and an unfortunate circumstance? Is it pure survival instinct? Or is there something more? These questions you ought to ask yourself as you read through this story, and also as you travel through your own life.

Enjoy Life of Pi as either the story that it is, or it really is. Either way, it's a miracle. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
For me, the surest sign of a great book is that it dominates my thoughts at all times when I'm not actively reading it, which causes me to wish for the day to hurry to my going-and-coming work commutes so I can read it further and enjoy. A great book is also not terribly short, that the experience is over too quickly and not rightfully enjoyed.

This book passes measure, in heaps, in both regards.

I have never read such creativity so thoroughly infused in every page. The writer's skills and efforts are on display when concocting scenes and events of great imagination, but also when sublimely narrating the mundane.

A method he employs to garner breathlessness and breathtakingness is to introduce scenes at their end or middle, then describe what happened to arrive at points of the beginning of the telling. He used this technique over and over to wondrous effect.

I was absolutely transported. The book is simply remarkable. ( )
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
I liked it very much. Having heard so much about Life of Pi before, I was expecting a totally different story - much more spiritually, much more fairy tale like. But what I found was a hard knocked story on how hard life can be. A true thriller a some times.

The only reason for not giving it five starts is for the alternative story Patel tells at the end. That kind of broke the spell for me, unfortunately.

Otherwise, really great read! Recommended! ( )
  bbbart | May 30, 2015 |
Life of Pi is a fictional book about a tiger and an Indian boy, stranded in the ocean in a lifeboat. Needless to say the plot is quite unique and mind boggling. But what makes it stand out is the brilliant story telling by Yann Martel. The first half of the book is devoted entirely to Pi's life. I guess the author wanted us to really understand and relate to Pi, to truly comprehend what he went through later in the book. The book is divided into many small chapters and this among other things, keeps the book always interesting. Surprisingly the story never makes you feel, that it is unrealistic even when on second thoughts, you will find that a good amount of it, actually is. This book by the end will make you question how far can you stretch your imagination, to go from being realistic to optimistic. The parallel narration by Pi and the author give this book a documentary touch. There is an underlying theistic tone to the story which frankly doesn't hold much till the end. This is something people might have differing opinions about, just like the book would mean quite different things to different people based on their philosophical bent, but one thing everyone will agree is, it is certainly a great book.

http://www.thewhatsupguy.in/2015/05/Life-Of-Pi-Book-Review-Summary.html ( )
  sougat818 | May 17, 2015 |
The story is engaging and the characters attractively zany. Piscine Molitor Patel (named after a family friend's favourite French swimming pool) grows up in Pondicherry, a French-speaking part of India, where his father runs the local zoo. Pi, Hindu-born, has a talent for faith and sees nothing wrong with being converted both to Islam and to Christianity. Pi and his brother understand animals intimately, but their father impresses on them the dangers of anthropomorphism: invade an animal's territory, and you will quickly find that nearly every creature is dangerous
added by dovydas | editThe Guardian, Aida Edemariam (Oct 23, 2002)

Granted, it may not qualify as ''a story that will make you believe in God,'' as one character describes it. But it could renew your faith in the ability of novelists to invest even the most outrageous scenario with plausible life -- although sticklers for literal realism, poor souls, will find much to carp at.

Martel, Yannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Torjanac, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

à mes parents et à mon frère
My suffering left me sad and gloomy.
The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity — it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is but the passing shadow of a cloud.
Evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out. The main battlefield for good is not the open ground of the public arena but the small clearing of each heart.
I know what you want. You want a story that won't surprise you. That will confirm what you already know. That won't make you see higher or further or differently. You want a flat story. An immobile story. You want dry, yeastless factuality.
Animals in the wild lead lives of compulsion and necessity within an unforgiving social hierarchy in an environment where the supply of fear is high and the supply of food is low and where territory must constantly be defended and parasites forever endured.
If you take two steps toward God, God runs toward you

After the tragic sinking of a cargo ship in the Pacific, one solitary lifeboat remains, carrying a hyena, a zebra, a female orangutan, a Bengal tiger, and a 16-year-old Indian boy named Pi. His story is a dazzling work of imagination that will delight and astound listeners in equal measure. It is a triumph of storytelling and a tale that will as one character puts it, make you believe in God. (from PPL catalog record)
Boat on the ocean
Was there really a tiger?
We will never know.
(mamajoan)

Life of Pi is the adult book selection for 2004. Life of Pi is a daring, redemptive tale of adventure and survival where the most unusual Pi manages to survive on a lifeboat with a 450-pound Bengal Tiger named Richard Parker.

Canongate Books

3 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 184195392X, 1841958492, 1847676014

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Life of Pi by Yann Martel was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,930,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible