Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Life of Pi (original 2001; edition 2003)

by Yann Martel

30,842None25 (3.93)2 / 956
Member:LianaCat
Title:Life of Pi
Authors:Yann Martel
Info:Mariner Books (2003), Paperback, 326 pages

Life of Pi by Yann Martel (2001)

1001 (120) 1001 books (103) adventure (385) animals (459) book club (125) Booker (117) Booker Prize (380) Booker Prize Winner (124) Canada (175) Canadian (274) Canadian literature (198) contemporary (104) contemporary fiction (175) fantasy (284) fiction (3,582) India (742) literature (227) magical realism (210) novel (472) ocean (114) own (146) philosophy (274) read (400) religion (570) shipwreck (377) survival (638) tigers (436) to-read (335) unread (148) zoo (206)
    Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (tandah)
    The Elephant's Journey by José Saramago (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books involve an exotic animal (a tiger and an elephant) and a young man who journeys with them. Both have a spiritual undertone, though "Elephant's Journey" is funnier.
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (JFDR)
    Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowat (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Both are Canadian survival stories, involve animals, are dark at times but never depressing.
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    Mr Vertigo by Paul Auster (Smiler69)
    The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books contain elements of magical realism and tigers!
    The Elephant Keeper by Christopher Nicholson (Booksloth)
    I Am an Executioner: Love Stories by Rajesh Parameswaran (FFortuna)
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Both are graphic stories about (in part) how people deal with trauma. Narrative style is also similar.
    We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee (Smiler69)
    The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios by Yann Martel (meggyweg)
    The Dolphin People: A Novel (P.S.) by Torsten Krol (Booksloth)
    Max and the Cats by Moacyr Scliar (JGKC)
    From the Mouth of the Whale by Sjón (rrmmff2000)
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (Hedgepeth)
    Nothing by Janne Teller (Freiesleben)
    I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: These two books are very different in plot, themes, etc., but they have similar whack-you-on-the-back-of-the-head type endings.
    Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch (Iudita)
    The Master and Margarita by Mihail Bulgakov (Smiler69)

English (717)  Dutch (11)  German (5)  Swedish (3)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  Russian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (748)
My favorite of 2012. The images this author was able to capture on the printed page held my continued interest. ( )
  suline | Apr 10, 2014 |
"How can I not dwell on this brief, cramped view I have of things? This peephole is all I've got."

I love this quote from the book, from the musings of Pi himself. It doesn't necessarily sum up the story for me though it does touch on the struggle of finding God amidst great suffering. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Mar 28, 2014 |
I'd like to re-read this book. It's been about four years since I've read it.

I loved the imagery - I loved the symbolism.

When I re-read this, there will be a better review.

In the mean time - I'd suggest trying it out. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Wow - this one snuck up on me. It's been on my bookshelf for quite a few years and finally getting to it, so I can watch the movie. Now I'm wondering, will the movie spoil the unexpected pleasure of this hard to describe, but not to be missed book.
Much better than I expected and it will be on my short-list of re-reads.
Some of everything! A much "larger" story to be understood as you will, but not heavy.
Sometimes page-turning, sometimes just the delight of delicious descriptives, lyrical writing. Some laugh-out-loud humor. Fantasy, fable, true? A definite recommend. ( )
  CasaBooks | Mar 14, 2014 |
An astonishing book. Sweet and gruesome, all at once. I just finished it, and am still a bit overwhelmed; more tomorrow.
...
Well, I liked it a lot, this much should be made clear. The first part had a bit too much on God for my liking; a subject that doesn't do much for me as a reader. Later on, it got less. One thing that really appealed to me is the fact that the tiger stayed a real tiger till the end, and not a pet or a cuddly Disney-animal.

A book to keep me thinking for a long time, and one to leaf through from time to time. Oh no, no can do, it's back on the road already! ( )
  Moem | Mar 11, 2014 |
The story is engaging and the characters attractively zany. Piscine Molitor Patel (named after a family friend's favourite French swimming pool) grows up in Pondicherry, a French-speaking part of India, where his father runs the local zoo. Pi, Hindu-born, has a talent for faith and sees nothing wrong with being converted both to Islam and to Christianity. Pi and his brother understand animals intimately, but their father impresses on them the dangers of anthropomorphism: invade an animal's territory, and you will quickly find that nearly every creature is dangerous
added by dovydas | editThe Guardian, Aida Edemariam (Oct 23, 2002)

Granted, it may not qualify as ''a story that will make you believe in God,'' as one character describes it. But it could renew your faith in the ability of novelists to invest even the most outrageous scenario with plausible life -- although sticklers for literal realism, poor souls, will find much to carp at.

Martel, Yannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Torjanac, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

à mes parents et à mon frère
My suffering left me sad and gloomy.
The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity — it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is but the passing shadow of a cloud.
Evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out. The main battlefield for good is not the open ground of the public arena but the small clearing of each heart.
I know what you want. You want a story that won't surprise you. That will confirm what you already know. That won't make you see higher or further or differently. You want a flat story. An immobile story. You want dry, yeastless factuality.
Animals in the wild lead lives of compulsion and necessity within an unforgiving social hierarchy in an environment where the supply of fear is high and the supply of food is low and where territory must constantly be defended and parasites forever endured.
If you take two steps toward God, God runs toward you

After the tragic sinking of a cargo ship in the Pacific, one solitary lifeboat remains, carrying a hyena, a zebra, a female orangutan, a Bengal tiger, and a 16-year-old Indian boy named Pi. His story is a dazzling work of imagination that will delight and astound listeners in equal measure. It is a triumph of storytelling and a tale that will as one character puts it, make you believe in God. (from PPL catalog record)
Boat on the ocean
Was there really a tiger?
We will never know.
(mamajoan)

After the sinking of a cargo ship, a solitary lifeboat remains bobbing on the wild blue Pacific. The only survivors from the wreck are a sixteen-year-old boy named Pi, a hyena, a wounded zebra, an orangutan, and a 450-pound Royal Bengal tiger.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Canongate Books

Three editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 184195392X, 1841958492, 1847676014

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Life of Pi by Yann Martel was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible