Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Life of Pi (original 2001; edition 2012)

by Yann Martel

32,39079623 (3.93)2 / 1040
Title:Life of Pi
Authors:Yann Martel
Info:Mariner Books (2012), Edition: Mti Rep, Paperback, 336 pages

Life of Pi by Yann Martel (2001)

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (JFDR)
    The Elephant's Journey by José Saramago (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books involve an exotic animal (a tiger and an elephant) and a young man who journeys with them. Both have a spiritual undertone, though "Elephant's Journey" is funnier.
    Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (tandah)
    Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowat (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Both are Canadian survival stories, involve animals, are dark at times but never depressing.
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    Mr Vertigo by Paul Auster (Smiler69)
    The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books contain elements of magical realism and tigers!
    The Elephant Keeper by Christopher Nicholson (Booksloth)
    I Am an Executioner: Love Stories by Rajesh Parameswaran (FFortuna)
    The Dolphin People: A Novel (P.S.) by Torsten Krol (Booksloth)
    We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee (Smiler69)
    The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios by Yann Martel (meggyweg)
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Both are graphic stories about (in part) how people deal with trauma. Narrative style is also similar.
    Max and the Cats by Moacyr Scliar (JGKC)
    Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (sturlington)
    From the Mouth of the Whale by Sjón (rrmmff2000)
    Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (sipthereader)
    sipthereader: A true story of survival at sea.
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (Hedgepeth)
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (Smiler69)
    In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick (BIzard)

Unread books (1,129)

English (764)  Dutch (13)  German (5)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Russian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (799)
listened to this in audio format. AWESOME. The story was incredible and the narration was some of the best I have ever heard. Jeff Woodman is phenomenal. I truly think he made this book more enjoyable. This would be a great distance read. ( )
  enemyanniemae | Sep 24, 2015 |
I read along as I listened to the audio. This made the story more entertaining. It was like hearing the story from Pi. There were 2 narrators. One for the author and one for Pi. At first I was afraid I wouldn't like this book because it stated this will make you believe in God.

I did find the story very entertaining. To be stranded and the only survivor with a few animals in a life boat makes for an adventurous read. The story about how he got is name Piscine Molitar Patel was interesting. It is strange how parents can decide on names.

This does make you think about how when faced with adversity you can survive and discover new things about yourself. ( )
  crazy4reading | Sep 21, 2015 |
Wow. When I watched the movie based on this book I was blown away and have thought of it ever since. Now, having read the book, I have to say it again. Wow. First off, I loved how many factual information there was on mammals and sea life. I never knew so much about zoos either. Second, this is fantastic writing! And third, the ending just blows me away. Turns out this novel is not all that you think it is for the majority of the book. Around the time of the island is where, like in the movie, I become a little skeptical and wonder if it isn't all just hallucinations. There are other points in the novel where my understanding of the situation gets blown away as well. And then Martel hits us with the line "the story with the animals is better," and "so it goes with God" at the end and you realize this isn't a story about a tiger and a boy, it's a story about story-telling. I haven't yet figured out all that's hidden in this yet; faith, religion, philosophy, perception. Is it a story about a boy who witnesses such magnificent human cruelty and baseness that he comes up with a story that sounds better? Is it a story about a boy coexisting with a tiger on a boat and finding unclassified carnivorous plants? Is it neither? I don't know. But I don't think the point is for us to know. Instead I'm beginning to think it's about belief. What do we believe in? Something that makes logical sense, or something that has the better story? Isn't that the question of the any year. I don't know what the exact intent of this book was, in Martel's mind, but it is seriously thought provoking. I'm so glad I read this. I may have to come back to this at some point. I think this book is going to be in my mind for a very long time. Highly recommended. Just beware of the gruesome details of animal slaughter. ( )
1 vote Kassilem | Sep 20, 2015 |
I began this book expecting it to be a satisfying read. At first I was, but then I began to retract that impression. Instead, I was greatly impressed. The story of a boy on a lifeboat with a Bengal tiger is nothing short of awe-inspiring, but combine that with a multitude of days lost out at sea, then it's really a story about faith and miracles. You have to read it through to the end to truly understand the meaning of the book, and once you do, it will give you an entirely new perspective on the story, and life, as a whole.

Life of Pi is a simple story about survival, but also a complex story about spirituality. Is it okay to believe in three gods from three different religions at the same time? Or would it be better to be an atheist? What is it that keeps the human spirit going even in the face of mortal danger and an unfortunate circumstance? Is it pure survival instinct? Or is there something more? These questions you ought to ask yourself as you read through this story, and also as you travel through your own life.

Enjoy Life of Pi as either the story that it is, or it really is. Either way, it's a miracle. ( )
  jms001 | Aug 25, 2015 |
I'm so glad I read The Life of Pi before the movie came out. While Ang Lee does a beautiful job, the inner struggle of the main character is difficult to capture in film. Pi Patel, son of a zookeeper in Pondicherry, India, is a sensitive, philosophical young man, who is interested in world religions. After a shipwreck, he ends up sharing a lifeboat with a terrifying Bengal tiger named Richard Parker. In this harrowing coming-of-age journey, Pi's physical strength, courage and spirituality are all tested.

The Life of Pi novel shares a thematic basis with J.P. Donleavy's The Beastly Beatitudes of Balthazar B, a literary wonder. The protagonist, Balthazar, is studying zoology, while his friend Beefy studies theology. Balthazar and Beefy come of age while exploring their hedonistic and spiritual natures. I love the way Donleavy breaks all the rules of grammar and goes straight to the funny bone.

I recommend both of these books to readers who enjoy beautifully crafted stories that take on animal vs. spiritual themes. ( )
  RobinGregoryAuthor | Aug 20, 2015 |
The story is engaging and the characters attractively zany. Piscine Molitor Patel (named after a family friend's favourite French swimming pool) grows up in Pondicherry, a French-speaking part of India, where his father runs the local zoo. Pi, Hindu-born, has a talent for faith and sees nothing wrong with being converted both to Islam and to Christianity. Pi and his brother understand animals intimately, but their father impresses on them the dangers of anthropomorphism: invade an animal's territory, and you will quickly find that nearly every creature is dangerous
added by dovydas | editThe Guardian, Aida Edemariam (Oct 23, 2002)
Granted, it may not qualify as ''a story that will make you believe in God,'' as one character describes it. But it could renew your faith in the ability of novelists to invest even the most outrageous scenario with plausible life -- although sticklers for literal realism, poor souls, will find much to carp at.

Martel, Yannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Torjanac, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

à mes parents et à mon frère
My suffering left me sad and gloomy.
The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity — it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is but the passing shadow of a cloud.
Evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out. The main battlefield for good is not the open ground of the public arena but the small clearing of each heart.
I know what you want. You want a story that won't surprise you. That will confirm what you already know. That won't make you see higher or further or differently. You want a flat story. An immobile story. You want dry, yeastless factuality.
Animals in the wild lead lives of compulsion and necessity within an unforgiving social hierarchy in an environment where the supply of fear is high and the supply of food is low and where territory must constantly be defended and parasites forever endured.
If you take two steps toward God, God runs toward you

After the tragic sinking of a cargo ship in the Pacific, one solitary lifeboat remains, carrying a hyena, a zebra, a female orangutan, a Bengal tiger, and a 16-year-old Indian boy named Pi. His story is a dazzling work of imagination that will delight and astound listeners in equal measure. It is a triumph of storytelling and a tale that will as one character puts it, make you believe in God. (from PPL catalog record)
Boat on the ocean
Was there really a tiger?
We will never know.

Life of Pi is the adult book selection for 2004. Life of Pi is a daring, redemptive tale of adventure and survival where the most unusual Pi manages to survive on a lifeboat with a 450-pound Bengal Tiger named Richard Parker.

Canongate Books

3 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 184195392X, 1841958492, 1847676014

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Life of Pi by Yann Martel was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,668,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible