Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Life of Pi (original 2001; edition 2012)

by Yann Martel

32,56179823 (3.93)2 / 1046
Title:Life of Pi
Authors:Yann Martel
Info:Mariner Books (2012), Edition: Mti Rep, Paperback, 336 pages

Life of Pi by Yann Martel (2001)

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (JFDR)
    The Elephant's Journey by José Saramago (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books involve an exotic animal (a tiger and an elephant) and a young man who journeys with them. Both have a spiritual undertone, though "Elephant's Journey" is funnier.
    Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (tandah)
    Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowat (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Both are Canadian survival stories, involve animals, are dark at times but never depressing.
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    Mr Vertigo by Paul Auster (Smiler69)
    The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books contain elements of magical realism and tigers!
    The Elephant Keeper by Christopher Nicholson (Booksloth)
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (Hedgepeth)
    The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios by Yann Martel (meggyweg)
    I Am an Executioner: Love Stories by Rajesh Parameswaran (FFortuna)
    We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee (Smiler69)
    From the Mouth of the Whale by Sjón (rrmmff2000)
    The Dolphin People: A Novel (P.S.) by Torsten Krol (Booksloth)
    Max and the Cats by Moacyr Scliar (JGKC)
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Both are graphic stories about (in part) how people deal with trauma. Narrative style is also similar.
    Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (sturlington)
    Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (sipthereader)
    sipthereader: A true story of survival at sea.
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (Smiler69)
    In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick (BIzard)

Unread books (1,132)

English (767)  Dutch (13)  German (5)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Swedish (3)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Russian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (802)
This book is completely amazing - when you get to the end. Up until the end, it is simply an adventure story of mediocre merit - but then, you get to the end and WHAM! You suddenly realize that the author has had you in the palm of his hand this whole time. It gave me the shivers. This is the book to give to someone who thinks that reading is a passive activity, heh heh heh. This is also the book to give to someone who doesn't think that a reader can be manipulated by an author - it points out how much power an author has over a reader.

It is gruesome in places - you can skip over the most gruesome passages, but hang in there until the end. It's a real treat to actually *feel* the switcheroo that will happen in your brain. It's as close to a physical experience I've ever had with a book. ( )
  rosemaryknits | Oct 31, 2015 |
What would you do if you ended up on a lifeboat with a 450 pound Bengal tiger? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have fared as well as the protagonist of this unusual novel!

I typically prefer to read science-fiction and fantasy because I like stories about things that aren't likely to happen in our limited universe, but this story certainly falls in the category of "not likely to happen' to most of us! A few scenes were a bit too graphic for my delicate sensibilities, but overall the story is told in a way that evokes the horror of the situation without painting too gruesome of a picture.

The scene that takes place after Pi lands in the lifeboat and before Richard Parker gets on the lifeboat is a brilliant piece of storytelling that would be entirely lost in a movie version, unless the movie is able to hide a key piece of information about Richard Parker until the right moment.

I listened to the Audible version, which I highly recommend because the story needs to be told in an Indian accent! ( )
1 vote PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
The life of Pi is a story of courage and survival.
It is a wonderfully written journey through life's struggle. ( )
  Haidji | Oct 23, 2015 |
listened to this in audio format. AWESOME. The story was incredible and the narration was some of the best I have ever heard. Jeff Woodman is phenomenal. I truly think he made this book more enjoyable. This would be a great distance read. ( )
1 vote enemyanniemae | Sep 24, 2015 |
I read along as I listened to the audio. This made the story more entertaining. It was like hearing the story from Pi. There were 2 narrators. One for the author and one for Pi. At first I was afraid I wouldn't like this book because it stated this will make you believe in God.

I did find the story very entertaining. To be stranded and the only survivor with a few animals in a life boat makes for an adventurous read. The story about how he got is name Piscine Molitar Patel was interesting. It is strange how parents can decide on names.

This does make you think about how when faced with adversity you can survive and discover new things about yourself. ( )
1 vote crazy4reading | Sep 21, 2015 |
The story is engaging and the characters attractively zany. Piscine Molitor Patel (named after a family friend's favourite French swimming pool) grows up in Pondicherry, a French-speaking part of India, where his father runs the local zoo. Pi, Hindu-born, has a talent for faith and sees nothing wrong with being converted both to Islam and to Christianity. Pi and his brother understand animals intimately, but their father impresses on them the dangers of anthropomorphism: invade an animal's territory, and you will quickly find that nearly every creature is dangerous
added by dovydas | editThe Guardian, Aida Edemariam (Oct 23, 2002)
Granted, it may not qualify as ''a story that will make you believe in God,'' as one character describes it. But it could renew your faith in the ability of novelists to invest even the most outrageous scenario with plausible life -- although sticklers for literal realism, poor souls, will find much to carp at.

Martel, Yannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Torjanac, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

à mes parents et à mon frère
My suffering left me sad and gloomy.
The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity — it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is but the passing shadow of a cloud.
Evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out. The main battlefield for good is not the open ground of the public arena but the small clearing of each heart.
I know what you want. You want a story that won't surprise you. That will confirm what you already know. That won't make you see higher or further or differently. You want a flat story. An immobile story. You want dry, yeastless factuality.
Animals in the wild lead lives of compulsion and necessity within an unforgiving social hierarchy in an environment where the supply of fear is high and the supply of food is low and where territory must constantly be defended and parasites forever endured.
If you take two steps toward God, God runs toward you

After the tragic sinking of a cargo ship in the Pacific, one solitary lifeboat remains, carrying a hyena, a zebra, a female orangutan, a Bengal tiger, and a 16-year-old Indian boy named Pi. His story is a dazzling work of imagination that will delight and astound listeners in equal measure. It is a triumph of storytelling and a tale that will as one character puts it, make you believe in God. (from PPL catalog record)
Boat on the ocean
Was there really a tiger?
We will never know.

Life of Pi is the adult book selection for 2004. Life of Pi is a daring, redemptive tale of adventure and survival where the most unusual Pi manages to survive on a lifeboat with a 450-pound Bengal Tiger named Richard Parker.

Canongate Books

3 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 184195392X, 1841958492, 1847676014

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Life of Pi by Yann Martel was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,861,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible