Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Life of Pi (original 2001; edition 2012)

by Yann Martel

33,97286019 (3.92)2 / 1106
Member:sofiemol
Title:Life of Pi
Authors:Yann Martel
Info:
Rating:*****

Life of Pi by Yann Martel (2001)

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (tandah)
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (JFDR)
    The Elephant's Journey by Jose Saramago (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books involve an exotic animal (a tiger and an elephant) and a young man who journeys with them. Both have a spiritual undertone, though "Elephant's Journey" is funnier.
    Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowat (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Both are Canadian survival stories, involve animals, are dark at times but never depressing.
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    Mr. Vertigo by Paul Auster (Smiler69)
    The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books contain elements of magical realism and tigers!
    The Elephant Keeper by Christopher Nicholson (Booksloth)
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (Hedgepeth)
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Both are graphic stories about (in part) how people deal with trauma. Narrative style is also similar.
    I Am an Executioner: Love Stories by Rajesh Parameswaran (FFortuna)
    Baudolino by Umberto Eco (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another story where the dividing line between the narrator's reality and imagination is purposely difficult to resolve.
    The Dolphin People: A Novel (P.S.) by Torsten Krol (Booksloth)
    The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios by Yann Martel (meggyweg)
    Max and the Cats by Moacyr Scliar (JGKC)
    From the Mouth of the Whale by Sjón (rrmmff2000)
    We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee (Smiler69)
    Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (sipthereader)
    sipthereader: A true story of survival at sea.
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (Smiler69)
    In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick (BIzard)

English (830)  Dutch (14)  German (5)  Italian (5)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Russian (1)  All (869)
I felt as though this book was far too hyped for what it truly was, but I greatly enjoyed The Life of Pi nonetheless. The book is very unique in its plot and premise, which is rather difficult to come by. The story kept me engaged the entire time, and even though the ending was slightly lackluster, I felt as though the heart of the story was still fantastic. Young Pi Patel’s faith (or faiths) were essential to giving him his innocence, winning the favor of the hundreds of thousands of those who read the novel. Overall, I felt I though the novel was slightly overhyped, but it didn't hinder my outwardly positive feelings about the book. ( )
  dbhatia | Jan 19, 2017 |
Quite a perplexing book but it gets rolling once you keep reading. The ending wasn't too satisfying for me. ( )
  ChimChim266 | Jan 16, 2017 |
Ohmygosh. So, so, SO good. The writing was excellent, with lovely turns of phrases everywhere you look (or listen, as the case may be). And the story was fabulous; I am a great fan of mythologies and the importance of Truth over fact. This novel embraces that idea in such a fantastic way that I was honest-to-goodness gleeful when I finished it. Were I still teaching, I would absolutely assign this as required reading in my mythology course. Easily one of the best books I read this year, or any other year. ( )
  electrascaife | Jan 1, 2017 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
http://www.BookCrossing.com/journal/11215719 ( )
  Contusions | Dec 23, 2016 |
3 1/2 stars.

An OK fantasy novel. Didn't completely live up to its hype, but the story kept me interested. I could suspend disbelief so long as there was plenty of action.

But when the alternate version of the story about the voyage was presented, I didn't buy it at all. It felt like it was made up to satisfy the expectations of the interviewers. Who really had no interest in his story, they only wanted to know what happened to their boat - which Pi had no more idea than they did.

I hope that's not too much of a spoiler for a book this old, and one that's been done as a movie besides.

The religious aspect of it was only a key element of the tale at the very beginning, and also was not very impressive to me. Anyway, my copy is on its way to Half Price Books. No reason to keep it.

CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
The story is engaging and the characters attractively zany. Piscine Molitor Patel (named after a family friend's favourite French swimming pool) grows up in Pondicherry, a French-speaking part of India, where his father runs the local zoo. Pi, Hindu-born, has a talent for faith and sees nothing wrong with being converted both to Islam and to Christianity. Pi and his brother understand animals intimately, but their father impresses on them the dangers of anthropomorphism: invade an animal's territory, and you will quickly find that nearly every creature is dangerous
added by dovydas | editThe Guardian, Aida Edemariam (Oct 23, 2002)

Granted, it may not qualify as ''a story that will make you believe in God,'' as one character describes it. But it could renew your faith in the ability of novelists to invest even the most outrageous scenario with plausible life -- although sticklers for literal realism, poor souls, will find much to carp at.

Martel, Yannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Targo, LindaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torjanac, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torjanac, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
à mes parents et à mon frère
My suffering left me sad and gloomy.
The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity — it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is but the passing shadow of a cloud.
Evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out. The main battlefield for good is not the open ground of the public arena but the small clearing of each heart.
I know what you want. You want a story that won't surprise you. That will confirm what you already know. That won't make you see higher or further or differently. You want a flat story. An immobile story. You want dry, yeastless factuality.
Animals in the wild lead lives of compulsion and necessity within an unforgiving social hierarchy in an environment where the supply of fear is high and the supply of food is low and where territory must constantly be defended and parasites forever endured.
If you take two steps toward God, God runs toward you

After the tragic sinking of a cargo ship in the Pacific, one solitary lifeboat remains, carrying a hyena, a zebra, a female orangutan, a Bengal tiger, and a 16-year-old Indian boy named Pi. His story is a dazzling work of imagination that will delight and astound listeners in equal measure. It is a triumph of storytelling and a tale that will as one character puts it, make you believe in God. (from PPL catalog record)
Boat on the ocean
Was there really a tiger?
We will never know.
(mamajoan)

Life of Pi is the adult book selection for 2004. Life of Pi is a daring, redemptive tale of adventure and survival where the most unusual Pi manages to survive on a lifeboat with a 450-pound Bengal Tiger named Richard Parker.

Canongate Books

3 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 184195392X, 1841958492, 1847676014

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Life of Pi by Yann Martel was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,651,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible