Life of Pi : a novel by Yann Martel

Life of Pi : a novel (original 2001; edition 2001)

by Yann Martel

31,28675925 (3.93)2 / 984
Member:thorold
Title:Life of Pi : a novel
Authors:Yann Martel
Info:Orlando, Fla. : Harcourt, 2003, c2001.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, Robinsonades, tigers, zoo animals, Pondicherry, India

Life of Pi by Yann Martel (2001)

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (tandah)
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (JFDR)
    The Elephant's Journey by José Saramago (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books involve an exotic animal (a tiger and an elephant) and a young man who journeys with them. Both have a spiritual undertone, though "Elephant's Journey" is funnier.
    Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowat (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Both are Canadian survival stories, involve animals, are dark at times but never depressing.
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    Mr Vertigo by Paul Auster (Smiler69)
    The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books contain elements of magical realism and tigers!
    Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (sipthereader)
    sipthereader: A true story of survival at sea.
    The Elephant Keeper by Christopher Nicholson (Booksloth)
    The Dolphin People: A Novel (P.S.) by Torsten Krol (Booksloth)
    The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios by Yann Martel (meggyweg)
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Both are graphic stories about (in part) how people deal with trauma. Narrative style is also similar.
    We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee (Smiler69)
    Max and the Cats by Moacyr Scliar (JGKC)
    I Am an Executioner: Love Stories by Rajesh Parameswaran (FFortuna)
    From the Mouth of the Whale by Sjón (rrmmff2000)
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (Hedgepeth)
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Afanasievich Bulgakov (Smiler69)
    Nothing by Janne Teller (Freiesleben)
    In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick (BIzard)

English (729)  Dutch (11)  German (5)  Swedish (3)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  Russian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (760)
Tags: Contemporary Fiction, Animals, Floating

Summary: A real story that deals with the struggle of deciding a religious faith and how it will play a role with your family. While a sinking of a cargo ship leaves a tiger with Pi who must make cling to in order to make it.

Personal Reaction: I first thought maybe I should watch the 2013 release of Martel's novel to get a better idea of what I was really getting myself into.

Extension Ideas: I always have better luck watching a movie about a book first then reading it later. ( )
  armyflyingguy | Jul 18, 2014 |
  Oakfairy | Jul 15, 2014 |
I guess the only thing I can say about this book is that it reads just like one of those 'surviver' books...in that sense, the book is very sucessful. As I was reading it, I had to remind myself that I wasn't reading a true story, but that it was fiction. That says something....I think.... ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Not many books can deliver such heartache, gruesome living, despair, and hope. I'm still thinking about this one and my own spirituality and that is part of the beauty of this book. ( )
  radspd | Jun 22, 2014 |
The story is engaging and the characters attractively zany. Piscine Molitor Patel (named after a family friend's favourite French swimming pool) grows up in Pondicherry, a French-speaking part of India, where his father runs the local zoo. Pi, Hindu-born, has a talent for faith and sees nothing wrong with being converted both to Islam and to Christianity. Pi and his brother understand animals intimately, but their father impresses on them the dangers of anthropomorphism: invade an animal's territory, and you will quickly find that nearly every creature is dangerous
added by dovydas | editThe Guardian, Aida Edemariam (Oct 23, 2002)

Granted, it may not qualify as ''a story that will make you believe in God,'' as one character describes it. But it could renew your faith in the ability of novelists to invest even the most outrageous scenario with plausible life -- although sticklers for literal realism, poor souls, will find much to carp at.

Martel, Yannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stheeman, TjadineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Targo, LindaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torjanac, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
à mes parents et à mon frère
My suffering left me sad and gloomy.
The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity — it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is but the passing shadow of a cloud.
Evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out. The main battlefield for good is not the open ground of the public arena but the small clearing of each heart.
I know what you want. You want a story that won't surprise you. That will confirm what you already know. That won't make you see higher or further or differently. You want a flat story. An immobile story. You want dry, yeastless factuality.
Animals in the wild lead lives of compulsion and necessity within an unforgiving social hierarchy in an environment where the supply of fear is high and the supply of food is low and where territory must constantly be defended and parasites forever endured.
If you take two steps toward God, God runs toward you

After the tragic sinking of a cargo ship in the Pacific, one solitary lifeboat remains, carrying a hyena, a zebra, a female orangutan, a Bengal tiger, and a 16-year-old Indian boy named Pi. His story is a dazzling work of imagination that will delight and astound listeners in equal measure. It is a triumph of storytelling and a tale that will as one character puts it, make you believe in God. (from PPL catalog record)
Boat on the ocean
Was there really a tiger?
We will never know.
(mamajoan)

After the tragic sinking of a cargo ship in the Pacific, one solitary lifeboat remains, carrying a hyena, a zebra, a female orangutan, a Bengal tiger, and a 16-year-old Indian boy names Pi. His story is a dazzling work of imagination that will delight and astound listeners in equal measure. It is a triumph of storytelling and a tale that will as one character puts it, make you believe in God.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Canongate Books

Three editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 184195392X, 1841958492, 1847676014

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Life of Pi by Yann Martel was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible