Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Life of Pi (original 2001; edition 2012)

by Yann Martel

34,06186519 (3.92)2 / 1109
Member:Blue_Astral
Title:Life of Pi
Authors:Yann Martel
Info:Mariner Books (2012), Edition: Mti Rep, Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:shipwreck, adventure, survival, religion

Life of Pi by Yann Martel (2001)

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (tandah)
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (JFDR)
    The Elephant's Journey by Jose Saramago (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books involve an exotic animal (a tiger and an elephant) and a young man who journeys with them. Both have a spiritual undertone, though "Elephant's Journey" is funnier.
    Lost in the Barrens by Farley Mowat (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: Both are Canadian survival stories, involve animals, are dark at times but never depressing.
    Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones (Booksloth)
    Mr. Vertigo by Paul Auster (Smiler69)
    The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both books contain elements of magical realism and tigers!
    The Elephant Keeper by Christopher Nicholson (Booksloth)
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding (Hedgepeth)
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Both are graphic stories about (in part) how people deal with trauma. Narrative style is also similar.
    I Am an Executioner: Love Stories by Rajesh Parameswaran (FFortuna)
    Baudolino by Umberto Eco (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another story where the dividing line between the narrator's reality and imagination is purposely difficult to resolve.
    The Dolphin People: A Novel (P.S.) by Torsten Krol (Booksloth)
    The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios by Yann Martel (meggyweg)
    Max and the Cats by Moacyr Scliar (JGKC)
    From the Mouth of the Whale by Sjón (rrmmff2000)
    We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee (Smiler69)
    Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (sipthereader)
    sipthereader: A true story of survival at sea.
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (Smiler69)
    In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick (BIzard)

English (835)  Dutch (14)  German (5)  Italian (5)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (3)  French (3)  Finnish (2)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Russian (1)  All (874)
This was a kind of adventure story with a theological undercurrent that seems to suggest that your own life story would be better with God. Whether God exists or not. For me, this religious aspect of the book did not intrude too much and indeed it works better as a straightforward adventure yarn, even if it was semi-fantastical. The story starts very slowly and only really comes alive with the tension and happenings in the lifeboat. ( )
  Lord_Boris | Feb 21, 2017 |
The ending was memorable but it was too bad I had to wade through some boring reading to get to it. It was one of those books I was glad I read in the end, thus the 2 stars. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Originally posted here

So this was a slog to get through. Oh my days. It is the story of Pi Patel, his life story essentially. Dull as dishwater if I'm honest, I would never have finished it if it was not for the audiobook.

It remember when this book was the book to read. It won the Man Booker in 2002 and was pretty popular. I personally was not too impressed by it. For the first part of the book, Pi Patel introduces the reader to his childhood growing up at his families zoo in Pondicherry, India. If you like long rambling narratives about random stuff that isn't interesting at all, this is the book for you. I honestly did not care about anything Pi had to say and I was impatient for the main part of the story, when Pi is stuck on a lifeboat with the tiger.

When the story finally got to that point, it didn't improve. I hate reading graphic descriptions of animals dying and there were scenes that made me feel physically sick. Again Pi rambles on about the terribly dull day to day details of being stranded at sea. There is only so much description of fishing, thirst and the sea that I can take. Not to mention the constant banging on about religion and spirituality, specifically how atheists and agnostics are misguided. It was about as subtle as a shovel to the face.

That ending though *rolls eyes*, I personally would have preferred the brief alternate story then the rambling rubbish that went on for 100 chapters. Needless to say, I really don't recommend this book. However, I did watch the film in 3D when it was released at the cinema and loved it. So my advice is skip the book and watch the film. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 12, 2017 |
I tried. but for some reason, I just could not get into this book. I wanted to like it, but I didn't. ( )
  bravewoman | Feb 3, 2017 |
I just could not get into this book. It was slow and plodding, and a little too "literary" for my tastes. I found myself skipping through, reading a few lines on each page and didn't feel as if I had missed anything pertinent. I am a huge animal lover and know that horrible things happen (circle of life and all that), but I don't want to read about it in a book that I picked up as entertainment. About halfway through, I had enough. I knew they would be rescued, and there are other books waiting to be read, so I closed this one and moved on. The only other book I can think of that I did that with was The Road. ( )
  LLRobinett | Jan 29, 2017 |
The story is engaging and the characters attractively zany. Piscine Molitor Patel (named after a family friend's favourite French swimming pool) grows up in Pondicherry, a French-speaking part of India, where his father runs the local zoo. Pi, Hindu-born, has a talent for faith and sees nothing wrong with being converted both to Islam and to Christianity. Pi and his brother understand animals intimately, but their father impresses on them the dangers of anthropomorphism: invade an animal's territory, and you will quickly find that nearly every creature is dangerous
added by dovydas | editThe Guardian, Aida Edemariam (Oct 23, 2002)

Granted, it may not qualify as ''a story that will make you believe in God,'' as one character describes it. But it could renew your faith in the ability of novelists to invest even the most outrageous scenario with plausible life -- although sticklers for literal realism, poor souls, will find much to carp at.

Martel, Yannprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Targo, LindaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torjanac, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torjanac, TomislavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
à mes parents et à mon frère
My suffering left me sad and gloomy.
The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity — it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is but the passing shadow of a cloud.
Evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out. The main battlefield for good is not the open ground of the public arena but the small clearing of each heart.
I know what you want. You want a story that won't surprise you. That will confirm what you already know. That won't make you see higher or further or differently. You want a flat story. An immobile story. You want dry, yeastless factuality.
Animals in the wild lead lives of compulsion and necessity within an unforgiving social hierarchy in an environment where the supply of fear is high and the supply of food is low and where territory must constantly be defended and parasites forever endured.
If you take two steps toward God, God runs toward you

After the tragic sinking of a cargo ship in the Pacific, one solitary lifeboat remains, carrying a hyena, a zebra, a female orangutan, a Bengal tiger, and a 16-year-old Indian boy named Pi. His story is a dazzling work of imagination that will delight and astound listeners in equal measure. It is a triumph of storytelling and a tale that will as one character puts it, make you believe in God. (from PPL catalog record)
Boat on the ocean
Was there really a tiger?
We will never know.
(mamajoan)

Life of Pi is the adult book selection for 2004. Life of Pi is a daring, redemptive tale of adventure and survival where the most unusual Pi manages to survive on a lifeboat with a 450-pound Bengal Tiger named Richard Parker.

Canongate Books

3 editions of this book were published by Canongate Books.

Editions: 184195392X, 1841958492, 1847676014

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Life of Pi by Yann Martel was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,490,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible