My School's a Zoo! by Stu Smith

My School's a Zoo! (edition 2004)

by Stu Smith, David Catrow (Illustrator)

7192319,065 (3.89)None
Member:rcreamer10
Title:My School's a Zoo!
Authors:Stu Smith
Other authors:David Catrow (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic, Inc.
Rating:***1/2
Tags:imagination, rhyme

My School's a Zoo! by Stu Smith

This is such a silly, rhyme book that I would recommend to students in kindergarten through third grade. The illustrations are fascinating and filled with humorous details. It tells the story of a little boy who wakes up after a trip to the zoo and, to his surprise, everyone has turned into an animal. This makes for a crazy day! I would use this book to reinforce the concept of rhyme and, for older grades, I would use it as a mentor text for metaphors. Overall, the comical story and engaging illustrations are more than likely going to capture students’ attention and give them a good giggle. ( )
  TiffanySpanos | Nov 4, 2017 |
First, this is a humorous & super silly book. If you have children that want a book to laugh and giggle at, this is the right book. Imagination is a MUST while reading this. The pages are full bleed. The pictures have lots of small details that make the readers stop reading & look at the fine details.

The story is told by the little boy who talks about his strange day at school. The previous day he went on a field trip, but the next day when he went to school, it was different... A LOT DIFFERENT! Every person he ran into, he saw as an animal that resembled at the zoo. The bus driver was big with hairy arms & he saw him as a gorilla. In the computer lab, he saw mice (computer mouse) and broken computers because of the bugs (computer-bug). The librarian was an owl since owls have the stereotype of being smart and wise. Also, all of the books had worms in them (book-worms); and so on.
Everything went back to normal after he got off the bus and saw his little sister.

Side note:
This book has a rhyme scheme of (A,B,C,B) ( )
  Cmollere2012 | Aug 24, 2017 |
a little girl's school is full of different zoo animals and how they are running her school
1 book
  TUCC | Jan 23, 2017 |
Throughout the book Stu Smith takes the readers through a journey of being on a fieldtrip to the zoo. The author shows the zoo through the perspective of a school child, and how she turns all of the students and staff of the school into zoo animals that she is seeing. The book is showing how big a child's imagination is and what they take from different experiences. The book goes through all of the different animals and shows examples of how the animals are described by a child. The story starts at the beginning of the child's school day to the very end of the day when she is going to bed. At the end of the book the readers get to see the young child discover that everything is back to normal, but right before she goes to bed we see that her imagination starts to wonder again. She is thinking about the lesson for the next day which is going to be dinosaurs and wonders if everyone is going to turn into them for the day. ( )
  Emorrison | Aug 25, 2016 |
I thought this was such a fun and humorous story! The illustrations were so vibrant and detailed and I caught myself looking at each page for a few extra seconds after reading the page. After a field trip to the zoo, the little boy starts imagining everyone around him as animals from the zoo. I think this is a great book to get readers to use their imagination and I think they will really love and enjoy this book. The rhymes in the book make it a fun and fast read aloud. I love how the author uses a lot of different animals in the book from the zoo to present the teacher, parents, sisters, bus driver, etc. and includes some new animals for kids to ask questions and learn about. ( )
  lcrosby | Apr 20, 2016 |

Imagination runs wild in this story about a school packed with pythons, teeming with tigers and swimming with starfish. Stu Smith's lively text and David Catrow's hilarious art will have kids looking at school- and words- in a whole new way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:44 -0400)

Every school has its share of bookworms. Some schools have bugs in their computers. And lots of schools have spelling bees. But this school has bears. This school has owls. This school is a ZOO! Imagination runs wild in this fun-filled story about a school packed with pythons, teeming with tigers, and swimming with starfish. Stu Smith's lively text and David Catrow's hilarious art will have kids looking at school -- and words -- in a whole new way!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,260,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible