Our Choice: A Plan to Solve the Climate…

Our Choice: A Plan to Solve the Climate Crisis (edition 2009)

by Al Gore

Member:gregvogl
Title:Our Choice: A Plan to Solve the Climate Crisis
Authors:Al Gore
Info:Rodale Books (2009), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:environment

Our Choice by Al Gore

English (4)  Spanish (1)  All languages (5)
It's weird: this is a book where the writing is merely ok, but it threads a very difficult rhetorical needle with aplomb. Gore basically lays out the many facets of the problem: what sources are contributing to the issues, what proposed solutions that do or don't look promising, and then surprisingly delves into the deeper questions of why this crisis even became a crisis at all. It's easily the best one-stop book on global warming, and is remarkably insightful. Even though I knew pretty much all the information he lists, Gore manages to knit it together into a very convincing whole.

Really recommended, especially if you can read it through the fun iPad edition like I did. ( )
  gregorybrown | Oct 18, 2015 |
This is essentially a coffee-table book -- lots of nice pictures, words, and graphs. It does not appear to be intended to be read straight through, and I didn't, but I think you could. (I mean, I've seen the movie, I actually read "Earth in the Balance," what more does he have to add?) I read the parts that were interesting, about 1/2, which was more than I initially thought it would be. It's a faster read than you think because there are so many pictures. You start on a section to delve into the subject and before you know it, boom, you're finished. So, it's pretty well written.I learned about soil carbon -- I knew there was lots down there, but it's nice to know that someone has looked into the question of "how much." It is a good general reference on global warming and technical ways to address it. He trashes corn ethanol (thanks!), and even notes the contribution of livestock to global warming (thanks!). So Al Gore is actually paying attention, he's not just regurgitating his past comments. What is not here is any substantial discussion of ecological economics or political tactics. He does mention cap and trade and a CO2 tax (which he favors). Also not discussed is any runaway greenhouse effect; peak oil is briefly mentioned. These are things which James Hansen (see "Storms of my Grandchildren") is interested in. ( )
  KeithAkers | Jun 5, 2010 |
TED Bookclub
  wbc3 | Jan 25, 2010 |
His latest book, “Our Choice,” is essentially a fifth-grade textbook (full-page photos, pie charts, an illustration of turbine power, etc.). Gore delivers lots of unobjectionable scientific basics intermingled with attacks on Republicans and cheers for Democrats (including himself) and the kinds of companies (such as makers of geothermal turbines) that he, as a venture capitalist, will profit from — if they get enough taxpayer handouts.
added by Shortride | editNew York Post, Kyle Smith (Nov 8, 2009)

Many of Gore’s ideas are inevitably familiar, but the clarity of his argument and the fissile power of his analysis combine to elevate Our Choice into the top-ranking environmental books of our time.

The former vice president and author of such best-sellers as "An Inconvenient Truth" and "Earth in the Balance" presents a follow-up work to address key environmental issues while profiling and evaluating possible solutions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,773,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible