A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf

A Room of One's Own (1929)

by Virginia Woolf

9,039119522 (4.12)473

English (110)  Italian (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (118)
A fantastic essay- amazing (and perhaps a bit sad) that the words Woolf wrote about women in 1929 still resonate in 2015. ( )
  cavernism | Jan 11, 2019 |
I'm only half way through, but thus far, sigh, it's so monotonous and she goes on and on repetitively about men. Alright already, we got it!
I find it interesting that in just 54 pages she has already mentioned women suicide at least four times and I wonder if she had already been having issues with her illness at that time.
She does a disservice to women; going mad and killing herself. For all her snooty snubbing about poor people being so inferior to the rich.
So one must be a rich woman with a room of her own to be intelligent or be an artist of any kind? According to her writing, this is what can be surmised.
What a long rant against men. . . and women in some parts. She comes off as a very miserable person.
pg 108 "a poor child in England has little momre hope than had the son of an Athenian slave to be emancipated into that intellectual freedom of which great writings are born." That is it. Intellectual freedom depends upon material things.
Women , then, have not had a dog's chance of writig poetry. That is why I have laid so much stress on money and a room of one's own.

The limitation of her mind, of her thoughts. ( )
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
En conclusión, otra pequeña gran joya de la autora británica que es, sin lugar a dudas, imprescindible. Y ya no solo por su valor literario y narrativo, sino por su contenido ideológico y feminista del que todavía hoy, podemos aprender muchísimo.

Crítica completa en: https://alibreria.com/2017/12/21/critica-a-una-habitacion-propia-de-virginia-wol... ( )
  MiriamBeizana | Dec 3, 2018 |
Maravilloso, y necesario. Tendría que haberlo leído hace mucho tiempo! Esta edición es preciosa además. ( )
  Carla_Plumed | Dec 3, 2018 |
I don't care for Virginia Woolf's writing. This is the best of the books that I've read by her, but I still didn't like it very much. ( )
  KristinaSimon | Nov 24, 2018 |

Gordon, MaryForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gubar, SusanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simonsuuri, KirstiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valentí, HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Waals-Nachenius, C.E. van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This essay is based upon two papers read to the Arts Society at Newnham and the Odtaa at Girton in October 1928. The papers were too long to be read in full, and have since been altered and expanded.
But, you may say, we asked you to speak about women and fiction -- what has that got to do with a room of one's own? I will try to explain.
A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156787334, Paperback)

Surprisingly, this long essay about society and art and sexism is one of Woolf's most accessible works. Woolf, a major modernist writer and critic, takes us on an erudite yet conversational--and completely entertaining--walk around the history of women in writing, smoothly comparing the architecture of sentences by the likes of William Shakespeare and Jane Austen, all the while lampooning the chauvinistic state of university education in the England of her day. When she concluded that to achieve their full greatness as writers women will need a solid income and a privacy, Woolf pretty much invented modern feminist criticism.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:46 -0400)

Why is it that men, and not women, have always had power, wealth, and fame? Woolf cites the two keys to freedom: fixed income and one's own room. Foreword by Mary Gordon.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183535, 0141018984, 0141044888, 0141198540, 0734306555

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,538,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible