Um Teto Todo Seu (Em Portugues do Brasil) by…

Um Teto Todo Seu (Em Portugues do Brasil) (original 1929; edition 2014)

by Virginia Woolf (Author)

10,205134509 (4.12)504
In A Room of One's Own, Virginia Woolf imagines that Shakespeare had a sister: a sister equal to Shakespeare in talent, equal in genius, but whose legacy is radically different.This imaginary woman never writes a word and dies by her own hand, her genius unexpressed. But if only she had found the means to create, urges Woolf, she would have reached the same heights as her immortal sibling. In this classic essay, Virginia Woolf takes on the establishment, using her gift of language to dissect the world around her and give a voice to those who have none. Her message is simple: A woman must have a fixed income and a room of her own in order to have the freedom to create. Annotated and with an introduction by Susan Gubar… (more)
Member:izaperkoski
Title:Um Teto Todo Seu (Em Portugues do Brasil)
Authors:Virginia Woolf (Author)
Info:Tordesilhas (2014), Edition: Literatura Estrangeira

A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf (1929)

English (121)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (134)
An unequivocal feminist text and so much more, Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own sufficiently coalesces with her own fictional writing prowess. Using a character in the name of Mary "Any-Surname", Woolf tells of women's history, factual and sharp, and dissects this further through fictional Mary's personal history. This is further develop by Woolf's, through Mary, musings and sentiments regarding women's role in society, much more of what she needs in pursuing a career, a writing career in this instance, that she is passionate about. But achieving this is not without hurdles and struggles because women do not have the same rights and privileges as men. It is more than just about having a room of one's own with 500 pounds a year.

Woolf is not preachy but passionately informative and does not stop here. She further reaches out and proposes not solutions but an "androgynous mind" which according to her is the best mind and for me should be the default ("In each of us two powers preside, one male, one female…The androgynous mind is resonant and porous… naturally creative, incandescent and undivided.") Luckily, human minds are powerful enough to develop and open up to such a mature way of thinking. I would like to believe. Moreover, how she examines classic female writers, their writing, and in this case a modern fictitious author, under the the patriarchal system is significantly thought-provoking. I only wonder why Mary Wollstonecraft and her daughter, Mary Shelley (credited as the inventor of the sci-fi genre), are not included in this. Perhaps Woolf does not hold the sci-fi genre in high regard? Nonetheless, her hypothesis about an existence of a female Shakespeare (through Shakespeare's "sister" Judith who in reality is Shakespeare's daughter) would not be far from the truth if she were indeed alive. Remember when women, so-called "witches", were burned at the stake?

For such a short book, A Room of One's Own never leaves any inequality unscrutinised. As old as some of these problems are, what with the progress of women's rights, there is still so much to do particularly about women of colour and inclusion of trans women. As a matter of fact what Woolf has iterated time and time in again that "The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself" is still relevant and observed today. A piercing book. ( )
  lethalmauve | Jan 25, 2021 |
I had somehow managed not ever to read anything by Woolf. Saw this when browsing somewhat randomly at my local library branch and decided to give it a whirl. I'm not sure what I expected -- maybe something stodgy and serious and kind of leaden if worthwhile -- but I found it almost breezy and just really well put together and of course important. It was mostly a real pleasure to read. ( )
  dllh | Jan 6, 2021 |
So happy to discover that Woolf, like Margaret Atwood, can give an essay the wonderful cadence and flow (and lively presentation) akin to a witty work of fiction! The title for this book comes from the premise of Woolf's thesis that “… a woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction." Woolf proceeds to present a compelling argument, using author examples pulled from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. Making use of the literary voice to communicate her arguments, Woolf alludes to three of the four Marys found in the 16th century Scottish ballad "The Fower Maries", with Mary Beton serving as the main narrator. While Woolf's focus is on women and fiction, she reaches some interesting conclusions, which I won't go into here. For me, I find the essay is most powerful in that it leads the reader (or at least this reader) to examine the arguments presented, arrive at one's own conclusion, possibly further research the topic in the context of the current literary landscape and keep the conversation going. ( )
  lkernagh | Dec 26, 2020 |
I've lost track of how many times I've read this one, but even though it hits me in different ways at different points in my life, I never stop loving Woolf's pointed, logical, funny, lyrical, and energetic jabs at a society where your gender (and, even she acknowledges, your class) can keep you from the freedom to express yourself in writing, and to get that writing read. I starred and underlined practically the whole book, so it is hard to pinpoint where I was most excited in this re-read. I do think, perhaps because I read The First Common Reader (a collection of Woolf's literary criticism) for the first time recently, that I appreciate Woolf's unique and precise insights as a reader way more than I ever did before. Her insights on the act of writing aren't bad either. This book is so short and fun to read and important in the worlds of literature and gender and feminism that, if you haven't read it yet, you should pick it up, and if it is one of your old favorites, maybe give it another spin and see how you feel. ( )
  kristykay22 | Dec 4, 2020 |
Mi piace considerare questo breve saggio in due ottiche diverse, altrettanto importanti, altrettanto suggestive. Da un lato l'aspetto relativo all'emancipazione (non per forza solo femminile), alla ricerca del sé e della propria strada a fronte di un contesto sociale che spesso intense scegliere per noi sino a incanalarci in strade prestabilite a priori. Dall'altro la difesa di un sogno (da scrittore o meno non importa), che va sempre perseguita tenacemente contro ogni voce avversa o difficoltà. Perché il nostro sogno parla di noi e nulla più di esso saprebbe incarnare compiutamente chi realmente siamo e cosa realmente vogliamo esprimere in questa vita. ( )
  Carlomascellani73 | Oct 30, 2020 |

Simonsuuri, KirstiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stadtlander, BeccaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, JulietNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valentí, HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Waals-Nachenius, C.E. van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This essay is based upon two papers read to the Arts Society at Newnham and the Odtaa at Girton in October 1928. The papers were too long to be read in full, and have since been altered and expanded.
But, you may say, we asked you to speak about women and fiction -- what has that got to do with a room of one's own? I will try to explain.
A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183535, 0141018984, 0141044888, 0734306555

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,575,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible