A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf

A Room of One's Own (original 1929; edition 1991)

by Virginia Woolf

Member:writestuff
Title:A Room of One's Own
Authors:Virginia Woolf
Info:Harcourt Brace & Company (1991), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 125 pages
Tags:Essays

A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf (1929)

English (84)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (90)
[bc:A Room of One's Own|18842|A Room of One's Own|Virginia Woolf|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388628641s/18842.jpg|1315615]

A Room of One’s Own - Virginia Woolf
Audio performance by Juliet Stevenson
5 stars

“But, you may say, we asked you to speak about women and fiction -- What has that got to do with a room of one’s own?”

It’s a very good question, and for a little more than 100 pages Virginia Woolf explains exactly why it is essential for a writer to have 500 a year and a room of her own. The tone of the essay is conversational and amusing. It felt surprisingly current despite being published in 1928.

This famous piece of nonfiction was the perfect pairing with my recent reading of Charlotte Bronte’s Villette. So much of Lucy Snowe’s angst and agony revolves around her lack of privacy at Madame Beck’s academy as well as her lack of financial backing to do anything else. Virginia Woolf understands that Bronte created Lucy out of her own deprivations, but she speculates about what else she might have written. ”One could not but play for a moment with the thought of what might have happened if Charlotte Bronte had possessed say three hundred a year -”. Woolf also plays, for more than a moment, with the tragic character of Shakespeare’s fictional, but equally talented, sister Judith. Just imagine.

Every word, every sentence, of this essay seems so precisely and meticulously placed on the page, I found myself rereading just for the sound of the words. Woolf asks as many question as she answers. It’s not surprising that the essay is still read and critiqued 88 years later.

I had two copies of the essay. [b:A Room of One's Own|18842|A Room of One's Own|Virginia Woolf|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388628641s/18842.jpg|1315615] had a helpful biographical timeline, and interesting introduction and pages of fairly elementary footnotes. Juliet Stevenson’s audio performance, was outstanding. She had the perfect delivery for each and every sly, sarcastic, satirical comment.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Is it possible to imagine the reception of this book 86 years ago?
Did it spark minds, light a fire, or at least prime them for further explosive thoughts?
The era seems so very long ago, and yet what she writes remains true today. Women, 'gender', sex, power...much has changed yet much has not changed.
It all seems quite self evident, yet it all still needs to be explained, again and again. Why is that?
Very slowly though, there has been progress. More of us have our rooms and our five hundred pounds.
And yesterday the majority of the Irish population said it was just fine with them if Chloe likes Olivia.
I wonder how Ms Woolf would write this book in an update for today... ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
Made me really appreciate the things I take for granted, living in a modern, western country - the ability to own property, have a job, control my money and have a political voice and choices in my life: It pays to be reminded that it hasn't been that long since women had none of those things and we should never take them for granted. ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
Virginia Woolf critiques modern society's lack of women artists, particularly writers. She also casts a shadow over womens' writing and how bitter resentment can come through even when perhaps not intended. ( )
  geldofc | Apr 3, 2016 |
A being before her time, absolutely fantastic!
Review: https://weneedhunny.wordpress.com/2015/05/07/a-room-of-ones-own-virginia-woolf/
  zombiehero | Mar 25, 2016 |

Woolf, Virginiaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beeke, AnthonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bell, VanessaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gubar, SusanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simonsuuri, KirstiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valentí, HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Waals-Nachenius, C.E. van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This essay is based upon two papers read to the Arts Society at Newnham and the Odtaa at Girton in October 1928. The papers were too long to be read in full, and have since been altered and expanded.
But, you may say, we asked you to speak about women and fiction -- what has that got to do with a room of one's own? I will try to explain.
A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156787334, Paperback)

Surprisingly, this long essay about society and art and sexism is one of Woolf's most accessible works. Woolf, a major modernist writer and critic, takes us on an erudite yet conversational--and completely entertaining--walk around the history of women in writing, smoothly comparing the architecture of sentences by the likes of William Shakespeare and Jane Austen, all the while lampooning the chauvinistic state of university education in the England of her day. When she concluded that to achieve their full greatness as writers women will need a solid income and a privacy, Woolf pretty much invented modern feminist criticism.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:46 -0400)

Why is it that men, and not women, have always had power, wealth, and fame? Woolf cites the two keys to freedom: fixed income and one's own room. Foreword by Mary Gordon.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183535, 0141018984, 0141184604, 0141044888, 0141198540, 0734306555

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,960,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible