A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf

A Room of One's Own (original 1929; edition 1991)

by Virginia Woolf

Member:writestuff
Title:A Room of One's Own
Authors:Virginia Woolf
Info:Harcourt Brace & Company (1991), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 125 pages
Tags:Essays

A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf (1929)

English (92)  Swedish (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (99)
I felt the book covered as much about men as it did women. Woolf was such a widely read author that almost every page had me wanting to pick up another work mentioned. I am still wondering though could the room of one's own be oneself and the strength of character, pride and sense of self be the 500 pounds? ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
I have been questioning much in my life lately with particular guilt about how much I have let both myself and my sex and my children down, given the opportunities that I have had. I have parents who throughout my childhood have actively encouraged me to get a good education and who have nutured and supported me to achieve my best and I squandered it. I have worked in life and had some great jobs but right now I am completely dependant on my husband for a living - shame on me!!!! I am time rich - I have loads of time. Every day I am dripping in time and I waste it on Candy Crush Saga and yet I am so terrified that there is hardly any time left at all - what a travesty!!!!!

I read A Room of One's Own in two sessions - I could not sleep after the first session as my mind was already racing.

After completing the essay this evening I am compelled to write down my thoughts in this review.

So firstly, Virginia Wolf got me thinking, her essay made me look at myself and my responsibility not only as a woman but as a human being.

What I take from what she writes in her argument is that historically women have been denied opportunities such as education, freedom of movement etc and as a result they have in general been unable to achieve in the same way as men - eg academically or vocationally but in 1928 those opportunities are improving for women and so women can no longer hide in excuses so long as they are well off, which I believe is the second point she is making in so much as it doesn't matter whether you are male or female you still need to have money to write.

I think it goes further and really it is also about respect. Not about men having respect for women but about us all having respect for ourselves as human beings and respect for each other. Let's stop blaming men and just embrace who we are men or women we all count. There will always be exceptions to any rule but basically at the end of the day it comes down to this. Stop making excuses and blaming others and just do it - whatever it is JUST DO IT because nowadays anything is possible by anyone. (so long as you have your freedom, have access to education and can afford to live )

This is what I took from the essay on first reading - oh and there is something about lesbianism in it too. ( )
  MarianneHusbands | Feb 25, 2017 |
Virginia Woolf essays speak the truth about Women and writing fiction. A true feminist. ( )
  caanderson | Dec 4, 2016 |
This was the second book in the #feministorchestra following "I call myself a feminist" and I am so glad I read it. For me her remarks about "intellectual freedom" depending on money and women in fiction portrayed as majority in their relation to men is every bit as powerful and relevant today as it was in the 1920ies. I don't necessarily agree with all of her points but it was very engaging and written in flowing prose - which I didn't expect from an essay like that.
  SilkeMaria | Oct 12, 2016 |

Gordon, MaryForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gubar, SusanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simonsuuri, KirstiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valentí, HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Waals-Nachenius, C.E. van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This essay is based upon two papers read to the Arts Society at Newnham and the Odtaa at Girton in October 1928. The papers were too long to be read in full, and have since been altered and expanded.
But, you may say, we asked you to speak about women and fiction -- what has that got to do with a room of one's own? I will try to explain.
A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156787334, Paperback)

Surprisingly, this long essay about society and art and sexism is one of Woolf's most accessible works. Woolf, a major modernist writer and critic, takes us on an erudite yet conversational--and completely entertaining--walk around the history of women in writing, smoothly comparing the architecture of sentences by the likes of William Shakespeare and Jane Austen, all the while lampooning the chauvinistic state of university education in the England of her day. When she concluded that to achieve their full greatness as writers women will need a solid income and a privacy, Woolf pretty much invented modern feminist criticism.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:46 -0400)

Why is it that men, and not women, have always had power, wealth, and fame? Woolf cites the two keys to freedom: fixed income and one's own room. Foreword by Mary Gordon.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183535, 0141018984, 0141044888, 0141198540, 0734306555

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,319,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible