A Room of One's Own (Annotated) by…

A Room of One's Own (Annotated) (original 1929; edition 2005)

by Virginia Woolf, Mark Hussey (Editor), Susan Gubar (Introduction)

Member:_Serendipity.
Title:A Room of One's Own (Annotated)
Authors:Virginia Woolf
Other authors:Mark Hussey (Editor), Susan Gubar (Introduction)
Info:Mariner Books (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 216 pages
Rating:*****

A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf (1929)

English (91)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  All (97)
Virginia Woolf essays speak the truth about Women and writing fiction. A true feminist. ( )
  caanderson | Dec 4, 2016 |
This was the second book in the #feministorchestra following "I call myself a feminist" and I am so glad I read it. For me her remarks about "intellectual freedom" depending on money and women in fiction portrayed as majority in their relation to men is every bit as powerful and relevant today as it was in the 1920ies. I don't necessarily agree with all of her points but it was very engaging and written in flowing prose - which I didn't expect from an essay like that.
  SilkeMaria | Oct 12, 2016 |
I wrote a review and published it here: http://wp.me/p382tY-DM
Check it out! ( )
  Calavari | Sep 28, 2016 |
“Plot”:
Virginia Woolf was asked to speak on women and writing at two universities and later published her lectures in an extended essay form – A Room of One’s Own. In this, she tackles several problems that women in general and particularly female writers have to face and why there are so few of them. Above all, Woolf states, women need a room to write – both literally and figuratively speaking.

A Room of One’s Own is a beautifully written, smart essay and, I think, essential reading for everyone who wants to understand the absence of female writers, or actually any unprivileged writers. And while I would like to say that it is outdated, it’s much too accurate even for today’s circumstances.

Read more on my blog: https://kalafudra.com/2016/05/26/a-room-of-ones-own-virginia-woolf/ ( )
  kalafudra | Sep 27, 2016 |
Whenever someone talked about Virginia Woolf, they talked about this book, and how much they loved it. They recommended I start here, with A Room of One's Own, a collection of essays given at a speech at various universities.

I was skeptical. Up until very recently, I didn't read a lot of non-fiction. But this isn't just a collection of essays - you get a sense not only of Woolf's writing, but of the woman herself.

In this book she speculates that Shakespeare had a sister, and wonders how successful she might've been. (Not very, unless she had A Room of Her Own.)

The reason I love this book is because Virginia Woolf takes all that is familiar to me as a former history major, (the sexism rife throughout literature) and picks it apart. She's vulnerable, she's frustrated, she's a little bit bitter, but her writing is beautiful.

I'll leave you with one of the passages from the book that has stayed with me since I read it a few years ago.

"A queer, composite being thus emerges. Imaginatively she is of the highest importance; practically she is completely insignificant. She pervades poetry from cover to cover; she is all but absent from history. She dominates the lives of kings and conquerors in fiction; in fact she was the slave of any boy whose parents forced a ring upon her finger. Some of the most inspired words, some of the most profound thoughts in literature fall from her lips; in real life she could hardly read, could scarcely spell, and was the property of her husband.” ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |

Gordon, MaryForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gubar, SusanEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simonsuuri, KirstiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valentí, HelenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Waals-Nachenius, C.E. van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This essay is based upon two papers read to the Arts Society at Newnham and the Odtaa at Girton in October 1928. The papers were too long to be read in full, and have since been altered and expanded.
But, you may say, we asked you to speak about women and fiction -- what has that got to do with a room of one's own? I will try to explain.
A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156787334, Paperback)

Surprisingly, this long essay about society and art and sexism is one of Woolf's most accessible works. Woolf, a major modernist writer and critic, takes us on an erudite yet conversational--and completely entertaining--walk around the history of women in writing, smoothly comparing the architecture of sentences by the likes of William Shakespeare and Jane Austen, all the while lampooning the chauvinistic state of university education in the England of her day. When she concluded that to achieve their full greatness as writers women will need a solid income and a privacy, Woolf pretty much invented modern feminist criticism.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:46 -0400)

Why is it that men, and not women, have always had power, wealth, and fame? Woolf cites the two keys to freedom: fixed income and one's own room. Foreword by Mary Gordon.

6 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141183535, 0141018984, 0141184604, 0141044888, 0141198540, 0734306555

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,811,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible