The Devil's Due (Morgan Kingsley, Book 3) by…

The Devil's Due (Morgan Kingsley, Book 3) (edition 2008)

by Jenna Black

Member:MyBookishWays
Title:The Devil's Due (Morgan Kingsley, Book 3)
Authors:Jenna Black
Info:Dell (2008), Edition: First Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages

The Devil's Due by Jenna Black

While I liked the book well enough, I am over Morgan. I know she has a long standing hatred of demons, however, based on her situation, her level of whining is annoying. This is the third book, and really her whining and bitchassness has increased. I'm not sure I can read books 4 and 5 if this is how it's gonna be.

Also, Brian, grow a pair. ( )
  DrkCherry | Sep 21, 2013 |
Morgan is still annoying and still making letting her stubborn attitude and mouthy responses rule much of her decision making, but she does (finally) seem to be making some progress with her control freak nature. I liked this book better than the previous two, though I still have a few questions about a few things that just didn't make sense. Why does Brian keep coming back? Yes, I know he loves her and thinks that Morgan will eventually come around and relent some of her selfish, stubborn ways, but still. And, what's with his sudden change of behavior? I thought he was supposed to be this Mr. Goody-two-shoes?

I did enjoy the near breakneck speed with which the story moved along. And also with the way that they mystery of Dougal's activities and Lugh's goals are coming together. As the book ended, [ I had images of the Fab 4 coming together and forming their team (it's almost like it took 3 books for "team" to form). A long time coming in a way. (hide spoiler)] But, I will read more. ( )
  mlh2 | Aug 6, 2013 |
3.5 stars. I have to admit that the main reason I love this series is the beautiful loving relationship between Adam and Dominic. In this book, Morgan even realizes that there's is the most healthy relationship she knows despite the SMBD. I'm not a fan of that myself but the way it's presented in this take it does sound reasonable and healthy. I like that Morgan admits that even thinking of them together arouses her.

As usual, Morgan's mouth needs an off button but several times she forced herself to stop and acknowledged that maybe she's growing up. I still don't get what Brian sees in her because she's so angry and abrasive and closed off but I love his character and I'm glad there's a wonderful male love interest in UF who's nice and not scary and yet very much a man, even amid the testosterone flowing around him in barrels from the other characters. I really wish they'd get another female main character but I see why Black doesn't want to upset the dynamic.

The story worked for me and went on at a great clip. I read it in one sitting. I likes the character development--they're growing with each successive book and Morgan was faced with ethical issues this time around--but I think that Morgan's hatred of Adam is ridiculous and been carried on for too long. She keeps saying she hates and that he hates her but their actions don't back that up. His complaints about her are more exasperation than hate and mostly about her inability to stay out of trouble.

I like this take on demons but it's important to remember that these are not Judeo-Christian demons but more like demons from Hindu or Persian faiths where there isn't necessarily a counterpart and they aren't always 100% evil, just mostly.
  maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |

maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |
This is another strong entry in the Morgan Kingsley series. The reason I give this a B instead of an A is simply because the story isn’t quite as engaging as the other two in the series. This story feels more like it’s building up the next book in the series, and while it stands on its own well enough, I was left wondering what’s going to come next, and not necessarily in that nail-biting, anticipatory kind of way. I enjoyed it, but it didn’t stick in my mind the way I’d have liked it to.There were a couple of sexy scenes; Morgan’s lawyer boyfriend Brian is still hanging on, and thankfully he’s becoming more interesting now that he’s entered a morally grey area instead of being so black-and-white, wrong-and-right. I’m not a fan of boy scout characters, and I’m starting to like Brian more now that he’s abandoning that mantle. I’m also growing to like Adam more and more; he’s still a bit of a dick, but he and Morgan are both showing more empathy toward each other, which is a very nice step. Morgan herself is still stubbornly resisting her own resident demon, Lugh, but it was kind of cool to see how Morgan is growing and learning how to let Lugh take control without freaking out.I’m definitely going to keep reading this series, but this book felt like a bit of a rest stop on the way to a much bigger story. ( )
  tdfangirl | Mar 26, 2010 |
To the Heart of Carolina Romance Writers. I can't tell you how much your unfailing support meant to me.
It was my first time in the office in more than a week.

"Trust me or die... That's the choice Morgan Kingsley, exorcist, is given by the gorgeous rogue demon who's gotten inside her. The truth is, Morgan has dozens of reasons not to trust anyone, from the violence that torched her house and killed her father to a love life that's left her questioning her relationship with her erstwhile boyfriend, Brian. But Lugh, a king among demons, won't take no for an answer. He's prying into her body, her mind, even her sex life. And he's just pulled Morgan into a power struggle that could have devastating consequences for both the human and demon worlds..."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,818,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible