The Devil's Due (Morgan Kingsley, Book 3) by…

The Devil's Due (Morgan Kingsley, Book 3) (edition 2008)

by Jenna Black

Member:MyBookishWays
Title:The Devil's Due (Morgan Kingsley, Book 3)
Authors:Jenna Black
Info:Dell (2008), Edition: First Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages

The Devil's Due by Jenna Black

The Morgan Kingsley series brings in mixed impressions, appeal and reviews as readers react with varied responses about the dark sexual humor, Morgan’s rather uptight personality, and the adventures written within. Since I’m part of the fan boat, I dipped into the third with eagerness, delightfully finding that the series continues strongly upstream in a positive direction of good times, steady pacing, and continued mysteries surrounding her complicated life.

While the mystery itself doesn’t stand out, it’s more than decent and the biggest draw of the book anyway is riding in the head of Morgan, our likeable albeit stubborn heroine, while she struggles to come to a compromise with housing the charming Lugh. Together a deal simply must be made for both to survive the sanity of it all, and it’s interesting to read about those tricky buildups and fallouts. As Morgan discovers the truth for the client who hired her, she’s also slapped with chilling revelations about stuff that happened to her as a child. Eerie stuff.

Adam and Morgan have never been friends but there are different layers which rise to the page in their relationship. Lugh – can the demon get more intriguing? – still delivers as his character should. I just wish Black would give him more page time!

Again the author paints a fascinating Urban Fantasy landscape where characters, completely different from each other, must branch together. Their hang-ups are rattled by fellow group members. Some are friends, others enemies. There’s romantic entanglements, bitter family ties, and leadership struggles. Some hate each other so much they would rather have the death of the character occur, but they must hang in there for the duration.

The Devil’s Due may not close with as strong of a bang as the second did, but the ending still dishes out a nice wallop. It’s almost like a UF comedy/drama. Delightful. Thus far no book in the series has been a disappointment.

ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Morgan gets Raphael out of Andy's body, but isn't too thrilled with where he ends up. They even come up with a new host so that Dominic doesn't have to host Saul again. Morgan and Lugh manage to share her body a couple of times, but Morgan is still pretty freaked by the experience. Have an idea where the next story line is coming from since it was setup in this one. Little obvious. ;-) ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
While I liked the book well enough, I am over Morgan. I know she has a long standing hatred of demons, however, based on her situation, her level of whining is annoying. This is the third book, and really her whining and bitchassness has increased. I'm not sure I can read books 4 and 5 if this is how it's gonna be.

Also, Brian, grow a pair. ( )
  DrkCherry | Sep 21, 2013 |
Morgan is still annoying and still making letting her stubborn attitude and mouthy responses rule much of her decision making, but she does (finally) seem to be making some progress with her control freak nature. I liked this book better than the previous two, though I still have a few questions about a few things that just didn't make sense. Why does Brian keep coming back? Yes, I know he loves her and thinks that Morgan will eventually come around and relent some of her selfish, stubborn ways, but still. And, what's with his sudden change of behavior? I thought he was supposed to be this Mr. Goody-two-shoes?

I did enjoy the near breakneck speed with which the story moved along. And also with the way that they mystery of Dougal's activities and Lugh's goals are coming together. As the book ended, [ I had images of the Fab 4 coming together and forming their team (it's almost like it took 3 books for "team" to form). A long time coming in a way. (hide spoiler)] But, I will read more. ( )
  mlh2 | Aug 6, 2013 |
3.5 stars. I have to admit that the main reason I love this series is the beautiful loving relationship between Adam and Dominic. In this book, Morgan even realizes that there's is the most healthy relationship she knows despite the SMBD. I'm not a fan of that myself but the way it's presented in this take it does sound reasonable and healthy. I like that Morgan admits that even thinking of them together arouses her.

As usual, Morgan's mouth needs an off button but several times she forced herself to stop and acknowledged that maybe she's growing up. I still don't get what Brian sees in her because she's so angry and abrasive and closed off but I love his character and I'm glad there's a wonderful male love interest in UF who's nice and not scary and yet very much a man, even amid the testosterone flowing around him in barrels from the other characters. I really wish they'd get another female main character but I see why Black doesn't want to upset the dynamic.

The story worked for me and went on at a great clip. I read it in one sitting. I likes the character development--they're growing with each successive book and Morgan was faced with ethical issues this time around--but I think that Morgan's hatred of Adam is ridiculous and been carried on for too long. She keeps saying she hates and that he hates her but their actions don't back that up. His complaints about her are more exasperation than hate and mostly about her inability to stay out of trouble.

I like this take on demons but it's important to remember that these are not Judeo-Christian demons but more like demons from Hindu or Persian faiths where there isn't necessarily a counterpart and they aren't always 100% evil, just mostly.
  maybedog | Apr 5, 2013 |
To the Heart of Carolina Romance Writers. I can't tell you how much your unfailing support meant to me.
It was my first time in the office in more than a week.

"Trust me or die... That's the choice Morgan Kingsley, exorcist, is given by the gorgeous rogue demon who's gotten inside her. The truth is, Morgan has dozens of reasons not to trust anyone, from the violence that torched her house and killed her father to a love life that's left her questioning her relationship with her erstwhile boyfriend, Brian. But Lugh, a king among demons, won't take no for an answer. He's prying into her body, her mind, even her sex life. And he's just pulled Morgan into a power struggle that could have devastating consequences for both the human and demon worlds..."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,807,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible