A Hole Is to Dig by Ruth Krauss

A Hole Is to Dig

by Ruth Krauss

Other authors: Maurice Sendak (Illustrator)

In my opinion, A Hole Is To Dig is a fantastic children’s book for young children who are just beginning to read. The first reason why I like this book is because each phrase or sentence that you read throughout the book teaches the reader. It defines why you have certain things and what they are used for. For example, “a hand is to hold up when you want your turn,” and “Toes are to dance on. Eyebrows are to go over your eyes.” These cute little phrases makes it easy for children to understand why they have such things. Second, I love that the pictures tell the exact story that the words do, and are very well drawn all across the pages. What I mean by telling the story is that if you were to not read the text on the pages you would still be able to understand what is going on. On one page it states “a whistle is to make people jump,” and in the picture shown above it, a little boy and girl are blowing their whistles as two other children are jumping in the air. There are pictures that go with everything that is defined throughout the story. Lastly, I liked this book because of the way the text is formatted throughout the pages. Rather than having the text in paragraph form on each page they are scattered all around the pages. Some are indented to the left with a photo to the right of it, while some are right in the center with the picture above it. The main idea that I got from this book was to help teach students the simplest definitions. On the cover of the book it reads “a first book of first definitions.” ( )
  margan1 | Sep 15, 2014 |
What next, what it's used for and why it's what it is.
  rjames1071 | Nov 7, 2013 |
An irresistible book! I know it is irresistible because I left it on the dining room table and my roommate and her mother (a former kindergarten teacher) picked it up and read it in my absence. This "first book of first definitions" is centered around the idea of a hole, and I wouldn't be surprised if kids wanted to go outside and dig one after reading it. However, all the "definitions" are sweet, funny, and even profound. The illustrations by the late Maruice Sendak are amazing and each worth studying in detail. A must-read for the younger children; I would read it to kids ages 2-6. ( )
  SylviaSmile | Apr 10, 2013 |
Comical throughout, this endearing book includes definitions of household objects, body parts, objects in nature, etc. from a child's point of view.
  MissG77 | Oct 30, 2008 |
A kids' - eye view of the world, where if you ask a child what something is for you get a realistic answer (rugs are so dogs can have napkins! Mashed potatoes are so everyone gets enough!). All sorts of children (and a few pets) are joyously engaged in imaginative play in Sendak's illustrations. ( )
  libraryturtle | Aug 9, 2008 |

Ruth Kraussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sendak, MauriceIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006443205X, Paperback)

What is a hole?
A hole is when you step in it
you go down

A hole is
for a mouse
to live in.

And, of course,a hole is to dig.

This is the funniest book
of definitions you'll ever read!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:39 -0400)

Nursery school children's "definitions" of everyday objects reveal their different view of the world in a humorous way.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,718,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible